Options

Scouting Sunrise

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
edited March 27, 2006 in Landscapes
I went Boy Scouting this weekend. Got up early today (Mar 26, 2006), before 5:30 AM, and just marveled at the view.

RAW file, with seperate "exposures" for foreground and background, as well as seperate curves and other adjustments to come close to, "what I saw". This was a fairly long exposure, so I used a fallen tree limb, about 8 ft. long, tucked under my armpit, with the camera resting atop for support. The light was changing rapidly, so there was no time for anything else.
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Options
    edited March 26, 2006
    So what did the "default" processing yield? Well, I'm glad you asked. (This is what the JPG would have recorded, had I used JPG mode.)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2006
    thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2006
    Leader? Helping dad? Good for you...we need more scouts and leaders.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    thumb.gifthumb.gif

Thanks Andy,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2006
    Wow, very nice. I really like this one. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2006
    photodoug wrote:
    Leader? Helping dad? Good for you...we need more scouts and leaders.

Hi Doug,

As of last Monday, I was the only adult committed to going. It looked like we would have to cancel, because Scouting requires 2 deep leadership, for the safety of the Scouts. We put out the word and by Wednesday night we picked up 2 more adults and by Thursday picked up another.

I'm just a parent/committee member, but I'm pretty active. My son is the current SPL, Senior Patrol Leader, but he couldn't come because of a previous commitment in a school play. We had to cancel a couple of previous campouts because of lack of adult participation, so I was determined to make this one work, and it turned into the first campout this year. (I went to see my son act in the play Friday night, so I did the "dad" thing too.)

It was a great campout and the weather largely cooperated.

You are so right that we need to support organizations like Boy and Girl Scouts, "Y" Indian Guides and other boys and girls Clubs and Big Brother and Big Sister organizations. It's just amazing the positive impact adults can have on kids and vice-versa.

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2006
    Nice, Ziggy! I love the reflection in the water as well. Clever use of Mother Nature (tree limb for a tripod!!). It must be the boy scout in you!!!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2006
    dkoyanagi wrote:
    Wow, very nice. I really like this one. clap.gif

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your comments.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Nice, Ziggy! I love the reflection in the water as well. Clever use of Mother Nature (tree limb for a tripod!!). It must be the boy scout in you!!!! thumb.gif

Thanks saurora,

Yep, I'm fairly proud how it turned out. You should see some of the wild stuff our Troop comes up with for the troop use. We have a lot of creativity going on.

On this morning, it was just me and some geese. Everybody else was still asleep.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2006
    The reflection
    really makes the photo. I appreciate your sharing the "jpg" and your final post processed print. I shot in RAW tonight to do some experimentation of the sunset/seascape. I was too lazy to drag out the tripod, so the car hood became my tripod.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    ... the car hood became my tripod.

Dee,

Whatever works and gets the shot. We should start a, "didn't have a tripod so I ...", club.

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    Thanks to your work it became a very nice and detailed picture, with lovely colors.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    Thanks to your work it became a very nice and detailed picture, with lovely colors.

Thanks marlof,

It always amazes me how different subtle colors like rainbows and daybreak/sunset render differently in the camera than in my first-hand visual experience. RAW makes the selective processing possible to develop out those relatively small gradations into a usable photograph.

In this shot, the dynamic range was tremendous, which further complicated the process.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    ... On this morning, it was just me and some geese. Everybody else was still asleep.

Thinking back, I bet the geese were having a "conversation" about me. It probably went something like,

"Pssst, hey Floyd. Look at that human over there. He has a branch stuck under his armpit. Does he think he's a tree? What a wierdo! There goes the neighborhood!" :uhoh

Editor's note: Mmmm, cooked goose, that would make great breakfast food. :):

ziggy53
    ziggy53