Options

My Tripod Thread, Couple Questions...

ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
edited April 1, 2006 in Accessories
I feel this is definitely beating a dead horse.... but I've done a *lot* of research on this over the past several months and I think I'm finally ready to buy something. Here's my desired setup:

Legs: $299, Manfrotto 055MF3
Head: $375, RRS BH-40LR
Plate: $140, RRS B20D-L

I am debating about whether to get the RRS BH-55LR instead... The Max Load of the Legs is only 15.5 lbs, so I'm not sure I would be gaining anything by getting a Head which can support 50 lbs. Any comment on this? Since RRS doesn't seem to sell anywhere locally, I can't look at the differences.

In the near future, the heaviest lens I can imagine (dream of?) having is the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS. Even combined with the 20D & 580EX, which would be unusual, that's still only about 6 lbs.

I chose the Manfrotto Legs over the Gitzo primarily because I like the clamp-type releases better than the screw-type. I also looked at the Manfrotto Neotec, and although novel in concept, I think it would work great as a monopod, but I didn't really like it for a tripod.

Also, what do you buy as a plate for a Video Camera? I'm not sure the P&S Plate is beefy enough... there didn't seem to be an option for anything else.

Thanks for any help/comments you may have!
Chris

Comments

• Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I feel this is definitely beating a dead horse.... but I've done a *lot* of research on this over the past several months and I think I'm finally ready to buy something. Here's my desired setup:

I am debating about whether to get the RRS BH-55LR instead... The Max Load of the Legs is only 15.5 lbs, so I'm not sure I would be gaining anything by getting a Head which can support 50 lbs. Any comment on this? Since RRS doesn't seem to sell anywhere locally, I can't look at the differences.

In the near future, the heaviest lens I can imagine (dream of?) having is the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS. Even combined with the 20D & 580EX, which would be unusual, that's still only about 6 lbs.

I chose the Manfrotto Legs over the Gitzo primarily because I like the clamp-type releases better than the screw-type. I also looked at the Manfrotto Neotec, and although novel in concept, I think it would work great as a monopod, but I didn't really like it for a tripod.

Also, what do you buy as a plate for a Video Camera? I'm not sure the P&S Plate is beefy enough... there didn't seem to be an option for anything else.

I think I am going to get a BH-40 lever clamp for hiking and traveling. The 40 is almost a pound lighter than the 55, so that helps :)

I have been convinced that Wimberly P-5 is the best generic camera plate so I am going to grab one of those and then buy either RRS or Wimberley lens plates, as I am starting to move away from Bogen Generic plates.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:

I have almost exactly the same setup. The difference is I went with the Ultimate Ballhead for $280.

I love love LOVE the setup. Very solid and lightweight. I too prefer the clamp-type legs.

However, I just went on a trip and couldn't figure out how to get the damn thing in my luggage. I had to leave it home.

It makes me wonder if I should have gone with the Manfrotto 055MF4, 4 section legs instead.

cheers,
    Trish
  • Options
    Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:

Hi Chris,
    I use the Manfrotto 3001BP with a RRS-BH-55-LR ballhead add RRS plates. This setup is extremely stable using my Canon 20D with 70-200L F/2.8IS or 400L F/5.6. I bought the BH-55 head before the BH-40 was available and have never seen the BH-40 up close. I am extremely happy with the BH-55 control and prefer the round knobs. If you are going lightweight the BH-40 is almost a pound lighter. I was also looking for a carbon fiber tripod and considered the four section Manfrotto 055MF4. The MF3 three section version is very sturdy but just a little too large for backpacking. I'm still looking for the ideal backpack tripod but the ones I like are extremely pricey. Hope this helps.
    Fred
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    I think I am going to get a BH-40 lever clamp for hiking and traveling. The 40 is almost a pound lighter than the 55, so that helps :)

I have been convinced that Wimberly P-5 is the best generic camera plate so I am going to grab one of those and then buy either RRS or Wimberley lens plates, as I am starting to move away from Bogen Generic plates.
    Thanks, Bob. Yes, one of the appealing aspects of the BH-40 is the lesser weight. I'll check out the Wimberly generic!
    Chris
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2006
    spider-t wrote:
    I have almost exactly the same setup. The difference is I went with the Ultimate Ballhead for $280.

I love love LOVE the setup. Very solid and lightweight. I too prefer the clamp-type legs.

However, I just went on a trip and couldn't figure out how to get the damn thing in my luggage. I had to leave it home.

It makes me wonder if I should have gone with the Manfrotto 055MF4, 4 section legs instead.

cheers,
    Trish
    Thanks, Trish. Because of your message (and Fred's), I did an experiment tonight with my old freebie tripod... I extended one of the legs to ~25.1 inches (MF3), and another to ~21.3 inches (MF4)... The MF4 will definitely fit in my normal carry-on suitcase. The MF3 will not, and may not fit even in my bigger-than-carry-on suitcase (if it did, it would be really tight). So maybe I should go with the MF4.

All the specs are the same except you lose about 1.6" of max height. I would guess there could be some stability loss as well. Also an extra 3 clamps to release/re-clamp.

I guess it's a question of how many times I'll want to take it on airplanes during its lifetime. Maybe they make some sort of carry-on attachment for tripods. I haven't Googled that yet.

Thanks for the comments!
    Chris
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2006
    Fred W wrote:
    Hi Chris,
    I use the Manfrotto 3001BP with a RRS-BH-55-LR ballhead add RRS plates. This setup is extremely stable using my Canon 20D with 70-200L F/2.8IS or 400L F/5.6. I bought the BH-55 head before the BH-40 was available and have never seen the BH-40 up close. I am extremely happy with the BH-55 control and prefer the round knobs. If you are going lightweight the BH-40 is almost a pound lighter. I was also looking for a carbon fiber tripod and considered the four section Manfrotto 055MF4. The MF3 three section version is very sturdy but just a little too large for backpacking. I'm still looking for the ideal backpack tripod but the ones I like are extremely pricey. Hope this helps.
    Fred
    I just believe that the lighter it is, the more likely I'll be to carry it with me. If I'm going to have this piece of equipment for 10+ years, I don't want to skimp. As I said in the last message, I'm now thinking about the MF4 as well.

Unfortunately, not too many people seem to have the BH-40, but a lot have the BH-55 and really like it.

Thanks!
    Chris
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited March 19, 2006
    Can't go wrong with the BH-40. One of those will be mine within a month, along with an L bracket, and a pano plate on top of the head.

The 55 seems to be a Rock of Gibralter, but heavens! You don't want to go hiking with that beast unless you're King Kong.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2006
    I have the BH-40 and it is great. You don't need to spend the extra money on the BH-55 unless you think you will be using a lens/camera setup that will be to heavy for the Ball head to support, and in that case you will probably need new legs also.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    JacksmynameJacksmyname Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2006
    I use a 3021Pro tripod with a RRS BH-40LR head and a Wimberley Sidekick (my heaviest load is a 20D+300f/2.8L IS+Canon 2xTC).
    The ballhead is terrific; locks up solid as a rock with almost no effort.
    I went with a RRS body plate for my 20D (don't really need the L plate).
    Jack
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited March 19, 2006
    Chris,

I have a Gitz 1257 that I travel with. However, I have to take the column
    and the screw in feet out/off to get it into my luggage.

Either of the two heads from RRS will fit the bill nicely (btw, do not leave
    that in your luggage, carry it on). The Ultimate that Spider-t recommends
    is also a capable head as well as being cheaper than the RRS. I have to give
    the nod to RRS for both controls and quick release plates though.

The plates you're looking at are Arca-Swiss compatible. And don't forget that
    Kirk Enterprises also sells them. To give you an idea,
    the plate for the 70-200 is $52 vs. $55 for the RRS equiv. Both are similar in
    build quality though I don't think the Kirk's allow you to have a stop screw.
    What that does is prevent the lens from slidding back and out of the adapter
    plate. Probably not a big deal if you are a careful person :D One advantage
    that Kirk have is the ability to buy at a local retailer.

Let us know what you end up with.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2006
    Thanks David, Nick, and Jack. It's good to have reassurance that the BH-40 is a similar caliber to the BH-55. I think I'll stick with it.
    Chris
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Chris,

I have a Gitz 1257 that I travel with. However, I have to take the column
    and the screw in feet out/off to get it into my luggage.

Either of the two heads from RRS will fit the bill nicely (btw, do not leave
    that in your luggage, carry it on). The Ultimate that Spider-t recommends
    is also a capable head as well as being cheaper than the RRS. I have to give the nod to RRS for both controls and quick release plates though.

The plates you're looking at are Arca-Swiss compatible. And don't forget that Kirk Enterprises also sells them. To give you an idea, the plate for the 70-200 is $52 vs. $55 for the RRS equiv. Both are similar in build quality though I don't think the Kirk's allow you to have a stop screw.
    What that does is prevent the lens from slidding back and out of the adapter plate. Probably not a big deal if you are a careful person :D One advantage that Kirk have is the ability to buy at a local retailer.

Let us know what you end up with.
    Thanks Ian! I did not know about Kirk Enterprises. I was a bit wary of this statement on the RRS site: "Specifically, our Lever Release clamps do not work with plates from Markins, AcraTech, Arca-Swiss, and some Kirk plates–the dovetails are too shallow. Choose a screw-knob clamp if you have plates OTHER than those from RRS or Wimberley."

How do you know which ones will and won't work? Ahh, I guess if they sell them locally, I can go and look.

Chris
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2006
    Anyone have any direct experience with 3-section vs. 4-section operation? Is much stability lost? Does it get annoying opening/closing the the extra section?

The space savings makes me want to go 4-section. Though I suppose I could live with taking off the column/feet as Ian suggests.
    Chris
  • Options
    dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    Hi Chris

I used to have a three section Slik tripod (flip lock) before I upgraded to the 4 section 055MF4 and I couldn't be happier. There isn't much difference between a three section flip and a four section flip. When the legs are collapsed the flips are right next to each other, so you can undo them all at once and expand the leg in one smooth motion. If it was a screw twist lock then that extra section would be a PITA.

As far as stability goes, I really can't compare the Slik with the MF4. The MF4 is much higher quality and much more stable than the Slik. I will say that the leg sections on the MF4 are pretty beefy and stability has never been a problem.

The only difference between the MF3 and MF4 that I can see, other than the extra section, is that the MF4 has a slightly (1.5") shorter center column. Other than that the two tripods seem identical. They both expand to 53" with the center column down, but the MF4 is 4" shorter when collapsed. Plus it's only $25 more than the MF3. I suggest going with the MF4. I think you'll like it.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2006
    Check the overall height. My four section is a wee bit shorter than the three.

Fine by me.
  • Options
    dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Check the overall height. My four section is a wee bit shorter than the three.

Fine by me.

Whoops, you're right. I stand corrected.
  • Options
    graflexTomgraflexTom Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    I have used the Manfrotto 3021 wit a 3265 Head for years. I went throught several Cheap ones first before I decided to spend the money. Wish I had bought it before.

clap.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Anyone have any direct experience with 3-section vs. 4-section operation? Is much stability lost? Does it get annoying opening/closing the the extra section?

The space savings makes me want to go 4-section. Though I suppose I could live with taking off the column/feet as Ian suggests.
    I have a four section. It has snaps, not twisties, so the extra isn't that big a deal. If it had time-consuming twisty tightners, I might feel differently. So, no big deal, I'm pretty quick with it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2006
    Got My Tripod and Head!!
    It got the Manfrotto 055MF4 and the RRS BH-40LR (with the "L" plate for the 20D). It seems to be really solid and the ball head is very nice, though I haven't had much opportunity to shoot with it yet.

A couple of quick pics:

62397452-M.jpg

62397455-M.jpg

These were difficult to take because I had a nice helper!

62397463-M.jpg

If anyone had any doubts about this company, Gareth's action will refute them!

62397459-M.jpg

This baby says "It definitely is the Really Right Stuff." He loves my tripod so much that he took his first 4 unaided steps on his own towards it! (While I was trying to move it away from him to take a picture).

:D
    Chris
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2006
    Chris,

They grow so fast. Little qt he is.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Chris,

They grow so fast. Little qt he is.

Thanks... he makes us happy (well, when he's not crying at 4 am :D).
    Chris
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2006
    Thanks for everyone's help in this thread and in the hundreds of past threads I've read!
    Chris
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    Awesome Chris
    Looks real nice...cute kid too :D

I am looking at the same head but also the BH-55LR but I think the 55 will be to heavy ne_nau.gif

Have fun with it
    Fred