Options

cat

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited March 30, 2005 in Wildlife
9258172-L.jpg

this morning, i found a park out here near the east san jose hills. the lighting was terrible - lots of fog and mist - but i noted some good locations for shooting at different times of the day, something i always do and put down in my journal. so, when i next return, i hope to get some sweet light on these hills :) i followed this bobcat around for a while, enjoyed a variety of bird life, and a lovely morning hike through the hills.

9258171-L.jpg

9258173-L.jpg

these shots taken with my 20d, 70-200L f/2.8 i.s. aboard. the first is at iso 800, the second at 400 and the third at iso 200. all were shot in raw, and converted in adobe acr. minor curves adjustment for contrast, but that's it for post. for the b&w, i applied my normal bw routine, described here .

enjoy (cat) photography,

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2004
    I love your Bobcat, just love "him". Is he in the NYC area????

I can imagine you did follow him around a lot, having to cut all those cat tails off of him. :roll Don't see them down here. Haven't seen a bob cat, either.

gingerbiggrinbounce2.gif
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2004
    Kinda off topic..
    Andy,

First of all I love the all three of these shots..

Was just looking through your moomriver site and have a question. Your Hudson river gallery is awesome. I went to college right up the river from the city at West Point and did alot of 35mm stuff while I was there and know of tons of great spots to get incredible shots there. not that I was able to get any incredible shots but I tried rolleyes1.gif Just wondering if you ever thought of heading up there to get some photos. The area the campus is located on is absolutely stunning, especially so once the leaves start turning. Dont know how much free time you have, but thought you might enjoy the area alot judging by the photos of yours that I have seen of the hudson already. It is only about a 15 min drive north from the location where you posted your pics of the bear mountain bridge a few weeks ago.

I also know a great site that takes a little hiking, about 30 min to an hour to get to, on the east side of the river about 15 min north of the bear mtn bridge that provides some specatcular views of the west side of the river. An incredible site to photograph the s-turn of the river that west point is located on. This site would be very easy to give directions to if you are interested.

Just a thought..

Mike
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2004
    thank you, ginger!
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I love your Bobcat, just love "him". Is he in the NYC area????

I can imagine you did follow him around a lot, having to cut all those cat tails off of him. :roll Don't see them down here. Haven't seen a bob cat, either.

gingerbiggrinbounce2.gif

these were taken outside of san jose, california :D

thanks for stopping, and the kind words!
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2004
    hiya mike ..
    thanks for the kind words, i appreciate your comments very much. i shoot at west point, and evirons, all the time. i live in northern westchester, about 10 mins from the bear mountain bridge, and so very close to the point.

i'd love the specifics on the spot you are talking about, would you mind emailing them or pming me?

thanks again bowdown.gif

andy

Andy,

First of all I love the all three of these shots..

Was just looking through your moomriver site and have a question. Your Hudson river gallery is awesome. I went to college right up the river from the city at West Point and did alot of 35mm stuff while I was there and know of tons of great spots to get incredible shots there. not that I was able to get any incredible shots but I tried rolleyes1.gif Just wondering if you ever thought of heading up there to get some photos. The area the campus is located on is absolutely stunning, especially so once the leaves start turning. Dont know how much free time you have, but thought you might enjoy the area alot judging by the photos of yours that I have seen of the hudson already. It is only about a 15 min drive north from the location where you posted your pics of the bear mountain bridge a few weeks ago.

I also know a great site that takes a little hiking, about 30 min to an hour to get to, on the east side of the river about 15 min north of the bear mtn bridge that provides some specatcular views of the west side of the river. An incredible site to photograph the s-turn of the river that west point is located on. This site would be very easy to give directions to if you are interested.

Just a thought..

Mike
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2004
    andy wrote:
    9258172-L.jpg

this morning, i found a park out here near the east san jose hills. the lighting was terrible - lots of fog and mist - but i noted some good locations for shooting at different times of the day, something i always do and put down in my journal. so, when i next return, i hope to get some sweet light on these hills :) i followed this bobcat around for a while, enjoyed a variety of bird life, and a lovely morning hike through the hills.

these shots taken with my 20d, 70-200L f/2.8 i.s. aboard. the first is at iso 800, the second at 400 and the third at iso 200. all were shot in raw, and converted in adobe acr. minor curves adjustment for contrast, but that's it for post. for the b&w, i applied my normal bw routine, described here .

enjoy (cat) photography,
    Where the heck were you? I have never seen a bobcat sit still like that, especialy with yummy turkeys so near.

Now for the hard part....I thought we had a little talk about this? You come into my backyard and take pictures like this? You think your dealing with some California girly man? I'll have Guedo stop by your place in the city to clairify this. :D

Sam
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2004
    Bobcat what a turkey
    Sam wrote:
    Where the heck were you? I have never seen a bobcat sit still like that, especialy with yummy turkeys so near.

Now for the hard part....I thought we had a little talk about this? You come into my backyard and take pictures like this? You think your dealing with some California girly man? I'll have Guedo stop by your place in the city to clairify this. :D

Sam
    jwear wrote:
    i think Andy had a 70 3000 to shot 2 hard to find much less shot gritters and he disturbed the cat's breakfast that look is not a how you doing east coast person look more like can you leave nooowww really great shots andyclap.gif I have not even seen a bobcat in years [/quotej]
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2004
    Which park was that shot in? Nice looking bobcat buffet there in the background...tastes just like chicken! :)
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2004
    *** just to be perfectly clear, regarding the bobcat and turkeys ***
    andy wrote:
    9258172-S.jpg

i was asked specifically if this was a composite image. i assure you all that 1) it's not a composite and 2) when i make a composite i will tell you, and identify the image as such.

this cat and these turkeys hung about together for a few hours. i have a dozen photos of them together.

thank you for listening.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited October 10, 2004
    Beautiful shots. I have seen a few bobcats at Rancho San Antonio
    park. Rancho is nearer Los Altos Hills (North of San Jose) You often see
    them along the trail in the early evening. The area also has had several
    mountain lion sightings.

FWIW, there are wild turkeys as well.

The park you were visiting looks a little like Almaden/Quicksilver.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    Beautiful shots. I have seen a few bobcats at Rancho San Antonio
    park. Rancho is nearer Los Altos Hills (North of San Jose) You often see
    them along the trail in the early evening. The area also has had several
    mountain lion sightings.

FWIW, there are wild turkeys as well.

The park you were visiting looks a little like Almaden/Quicksilver.

Ian

thank you, ian :D it was joe grant part, up nr. mt. hamilton....
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited October 10, 2004
    andy wrote:
    thank you, ian :D it was joe grant part, up nr. mt. hamilton....
    Ah. Just opposite Almaden. Next time you're in town and have time, may I
    suggest the small town of New Almaden? It's a relic in a large city.

Almaden/Quicksilver is an area that once was home to quicksilver (mercury)
    mines. There are remains of mining structures including a glimpse into the San
    Cristobal mine.

In the town of New Almaden, a museum chronicles some of the early life
    here.

A gem of a park!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    Ah. Just opposite Almaden. Next time you're in town and have time, may I
    suggest the small town of New Almaden? It's a relic in a large city.

Almaden/Quicksilver is an area that once was home to quicksilver (mercury)
    mines. There are remains of mining structures including a glimpse into the San
    Cristobal mine.

In the town of New Almaden, a museum chronicles some of the early life
    here.

A gem of a park!

Ian

thanks ian! i'm going to check it out :D
  • Options
    S.WhalenS.Whalen Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2005
    Great shot Andy! I live in CT and recently had the pleasure of getting a few pics of a bobcat. I spotted it out in a field while driving by. So i stopped, got out and walked out into the field to get a better shot. I only had an 18-55mm lens. But the shots came out pretty good.

Scott
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2005
    Great shots. The cat looks like he's telling you to stay the heck away from his dinner.:D

The hint of the sun from the left really makes the second shot work for me. Love it.

I've always liked that style in the third shot. Very nice.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2005
    It's true though I've lived and shot all around Calif. and rarely would see game like that let alone together. headscratch.gif
    Excellent Luck, Excellent Work, Beautiful images. Very Profressional
    Thanks for sharing thumb.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2005
    I think the cat shot is really cool, Andy. But I woulda been scared the darned thing would attack me. Ferile and all. I really like the cispness of it and the colors. Plus the OOF turkeys are a great touch, make a nice backdrop. I also really like the muted tones of the plant life shot, whatever the stuff is. Nice touch. nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2005
    Here's my California bobcat story. Wish I had a picture to go with it, but I wasn't into photography much in those days. It was about 10 years ago and I was working for a valley company, but living in Boston. Sometimes when I went out to visit HQ, I'd stay at Dinah's Poolside Inn in Palo Alto. This place is a kind of famous Silicon Valley Landmark, but that's another story. People who know the place I'm talking about know that this is a pretty urban place. It's right on El Camino and about 1 mile from California St. Vey dense population by CA standards.

What it does have is a very nice pond that is landscaped and the best hotel rooms have views. The pond has these giant goldfish; I think they are called "coit". They must weigh four pounds.

Anyway, as anyone who goes to CA from the East Coast on business knows, it's not exactly easy to sleep in. So I'd be up at dawn with nothing to do but drive into work and make expresso there (also another story.) A few times I noticed a really big cat in my perhipheral vision. Big enough to be interesting, but gone by the time I got a good look. Then one 6am, it was in my headlights and it was a bobcat, clear as day. I'm sure it was there for the fishing.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2005
    I kept waiting for you to be attacked, Rutt. Nature is a malevolent force poised to strike us at any moment.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    S.WhalenS.Whalen Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited March 30, 2005
    Here is one of my bobcat pics. Had to get pretty close to get the shot since i only had the 18-55mm that comes with the digital rebel. This was actually one of the first pics i took with the camera since i had gotten it for christmas and i saw the bobcat on the 26th.

Scott