Options

EXIF Display

{JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
edited February 20, 2006 in SmugMug Support
So, I am thinking about changing how we display EXIF data on the site. We have three options that could happen when you click on a link for more exif info:

1) Keep it in a popup window (same as now). The downside to this is that it makes it rather complex to style.

2) A new floating box appears next to your mouse. The box can be styled with CSS.

3) We display the EXIF inline with the other photo data. This is kinda complex to explain, but after you click more info, the extra EXIF data appears right next to the existing info we already give about the photo. No popups, no layers, all right there. This would also potentially allow you to keep the EXIF info always displayed with CSS.

Let me know your pros and cons about the options, and remember - if you don't speak up you can't get mad if it changes to something you did not like ;)

Displaying EXIF Data 25 votes

Keep it as a popup window
0% 0 votes
Create a new floating box on the same page
16% 4 votes
Display it inline with the other photo info
84% 21 votes

Comments

• Options
    garyjwoodgaryjwood Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    As long as I can still get at it somehow
    {JT} wrote:

Let me know your pros and cons about the options, and remember - if you don't speak up you can't get mad if it changes to something you did not like ;)

I use the popup window on my blog by calling Javascript from an <a> tag under my photos.

I do find it a bit clunky on the smugmug site (I like option #2 better) but I like having the information available elsewhere via a simple client-side call.
    - Gary
    Galleries: http://garyjwood.smugmug.com
    Photo of the Day: http://blog.garyjwood.com
    Location-enabled and interactive!
  • Options
    DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    Inline is better, without a doubt!
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    garyjwood wrote:
    I use the popup window on my blog by calling Javascript from an <a> tag under my photos.

I do find it a bit clunky on the smugmug site (I like option #2 better) but I like having the information available elsewhere via a simple client-side call.

The popup that works now will continue to work if you use it elsewhere. This is just for displaying on the smugmug site.
  • Options
    galla47galla47 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    I'm a fan of the inline..

One of the things I don't like about the current way EXIF is handled, is that popup box allows any photo to be traced back to the owner, even if it is in a "hide owner" and private gallery.

-KG
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    I don't like that floating box stuff. It's more and more used to display ads by popping up when you just move the mouse cursor - there's no escape from it. Please don't introduce this on smugmug. :uhoh

Therefore Inline got my vote as it's so much better. You actually need to click on something to activate it and it doesn't block your view on the page.

On this occasion I want to refer to the request for individual IDs for every element on the page. This way everybody could deceide on their own what info they want to display by using CSS and one could directly rename every element using JavaScript for realizing multiply languages on one site better. mwink.gif

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    Inline
    {JT} wrote:
    So, I am thinking about changing how we display EXIF data on the site. We have three options that could happen when you click on a link for more exif info:

1) Keep it in a popup window (same as now). The downside to this is that it makes it rather complex to style.

2) A new floating box appears next to your mouse. The box can be styled with CSS.

3) We display the EXIF inline with the other photo data. This is kinda complex to explain, but after you click more info, the extra EXIF data appears right next to the existing info we already give about the photo. No popups, no layers, all right there. This would also potentially allow you to keep the EXIF info always displayed with CSS.

I vote for inline - expandable/collapsible by the viewer - remember the expand/collapse state. Inline is easier to style with CSS and it also solves the feature request for the people that want a pbase-like ability to see it inline without a pop-up.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,190 moderator
    edited February 9, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    I vote for inline - expandable/collapsible by the viewer - remember the expand/collapse state. Inline is easier to style with CSS and it also solves the feature request for the people that want a pbase-like ability to see it inline without a pop-up.

Second that idea.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    I'm for anything but the popup window.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    CammoCammo Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    I'm for inline too but providing it isn't there initially, i.e user MUST click more info to see it.
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    Cammo wrote:
    I'm for inline too but providing it isn't there initially, i.e user MUST click more info to see it.
    Same here,
    but initially hidden.
    And could each part be put in a seperate DIV with a unique ID (for CSS styling)?
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    nokout3839nokout3839 Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    Inline
    Id like to see the exif inline with customisation as to how much info is there. For example id like to just have the iso, focal length, Av & Tv. hide the rest, maybe a link to the rest.

But its not going to kill me either way.

Cheers,

All care but no responsibility

• Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2006
    I like inline best because it's clipboard friendly and slicker than pop-up.

I don't mind the floaty thingymajiggy myself but I think it can get too much quickly for alot of people.

Malte
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    Poll is closed, but I'll also throw my vote in for in-line and with IDs for each IPTC element (as mentioned elsewhere in this thread). Thanks!
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    mouse over
    how about when you "mouse over" the exif link, you get a little pop up box with the exif data...move the mouse away, the box disappears. ne_nau.gif

uses the same effect you are already using when you "mouse over" the Next and Prev picture links mwink.gif