Options

Newbie with questions

CammoCammo Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
edited February 4, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hi Guys!! :thumb

A newbie pro user here (http://photos.cameronlaird.com.au) with a couple of questions.

1. Is it possible to set the default for cropping to "No Crop". I notice that the default seems to be crop but I think it might work better for me if "No Crop" was the standard.
2. What is printed on the back of the EZ Prints photos? Is it simpy lab machine stuff (i.e NNNNNN) or does it have something about copyright and maybe more?
3. How are prints packaged that are delivered from EZ Prints? Do EZ Prints include marketing material? Do the customers receive a paper receipt?
4. I am a bit stuck with a few images in a gallery that don't seem to be showing up properly in a search. If I am in the gallery http://camlaird.smugmug.com/gallery/1174747 and do a search for David Dickinson I get 23 results. However if I search all of my images it returns 69 images. Can't figure it out as all of the 69 images are in the gallery I searched and only found 23. Any ideas?
5. I am based in Australia so hoping my customers can easily adjust to paying in US$. Anyone else care to share any experiences they have had with foreign currency transactions?

Thanks heaps in advance for your help, I love this so far!!

Regards,

Cammo

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2006
    wave.gif Hi Cammo, and welcome to Dgrin and SmugMug!
    Cammo wrote:
    Hi Guys!! thumb.gif

A newbie pro user here (http://photos.cameronlaird.com.au) with a couple of questions.

1. Is it possible to set the default for cropping to "No Crop". I notice that the default seems to be crop but I think it might work better for me if "No Crop" was the standard.
    No, I'm sorry. But you can easily guide them with some pointing to our help page on cropping, or, you can build your own customized help page on cropping! The problem is, if you had it set to No-Crop, they'd get a 3:2 ratio print on a 8x10 page, with white borders all around.

In my pro tips thread, look here how Thomas Manchester does it.

and here's how to do html-only pages.

Cammo wrote:
    2. What is printed on the back of the EZ Prints photos? Is it simpy lab machine stuff (i.e NNNNNN) or does it have something about copyright and maybe more?

lab stuff, and www.smugmug.com - we hope to have an option for you to have your name on the back at some point. No promises on if/when but we know you and many pros want it.
    Cammo wrote:
    3. How are prints packaged that are delivered from EZ Prints? Do EZ Prints include marketing material? Do the customers receive a paper receipt?

There's not a receipt but there is an index-print. And there's a card, thanking them for ordering and directing them to help@smugmug.com if they have any questions or concerns. When your customer orders, they get two emails from us:
    Thanks for your SmugMug order!

We truly appreciate your business and hope you'll be pleased when you
    see your prints.

This email is your order confirmation and payment receipt. It will take
    about 1-2 business days to process your order, then we'll send you
    another email to let you know that your prints have shipped. Of course, you
    can always view your order online at:

https://www.smugmug.com/cart/order.mg?OrderID=XXXXXX

Here's what's on the way:

Qty Item Subtotal
    1 16 x 20 (Lustre) $XX.XX USD

Item Subtotal: $........

We'll ship them to:

XXXX
    XXXXX
    XXX
    XXXXXXXXX

Your shipping method is:

Express Mail from Georgia. Please allow 3-4 business days for delivery
    after you receive a shipment confirmation email from SmugMug.

Questions? Email us at help@smugmug.com . We love hearing from our
    customers and typically respond within a few hours.

Thanks again for ordering from SmugMug, the ultimate in photo sharing.

Sincerely,
    Chris & Don MacAskill
    Owners, Photographers, Regular Guys

And, when the order ships, they'll get a shipping confirmation email, with a tracking number (clickable) if they had used anything but first class mail.

Cammo wrote:
    4. I am a bit stuck with a few images in a gallery that don't seem to be showing up properly in a search. If I am in the gallery http://camlaird.smugmug.com/gallery/1174747 and do a search for David Dickinson I get 23 results. However if I search all of my images it returns 69 images. Can't figure it out as all of the 69 images are in the gallery I searched and only found 23. Any ideas?
    check your keywords, and make sure they are all there. We don't search on three-letter keywords.
    Cammo wrote:
    5. I am based in Australia so hoping my customers can easily adjust to paying in US$. Anyone else care to share any experiences they have had with foreign currency transactions?

They'll be using a credit card, which, typically will handle the conversion for them. We have other Ozzies who may chime in :D

Hope this all helps - let me know if I can help futher!
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2006
    The problem is, if you had it set to No-Crop, they'd get a 3:2 ratio print on a 8x10 page, with white borders all around.

The border wouldn't be all around would it? It would only be top and bottom or both sides?
    When your customer orders, they get two emails from us:

And, when the order ships, they'll get a shipping confirmation email, with a tracking number (clickable) if they had used anything but first class mail.

It would be nice if the first email included some reference to the photographer so the customer can wrap it all together in their head. Even if it just included in there something like "Thanks for your Smugmug order of Cameron Laird photos"
    check your keywords, and make sure they are all there. We don't search on three-letter keywords.

The search must also be based on iptc info. Have a try of a search in the gallery I mentioned. Search for "David Dickinson" in all my photos and 69 photos are returned. Search in the Celebrity / I'm A Celebrity 5 gallery and it only returns 23 even though all the 69 images are in that gallery.

I haven't really worried too much about keywords yet as there is quite a lot of info in the caption. I might change my ingesting method to include keywords from now on however.

Your input is really appreciated, now I just have to get around to massaging some css and xhtml into http://photos.cameronlaird.com.au to personalise it a bit. Is there anyone around here who would be willing to do this for a fee?

Thanks again guys!!!!
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2006
    Cammo wrote:
    The border wouldn't be all around would it? It would only be top and bottom or both sides?

Put a 3:2 image in your shopping cart, and you'll see :D change the option to "no crop" and you'll see exactly how it would print...
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Put a 3:2 image in your shopping cart, and you'll see :D change the option to "no crop" and you'll see exactly how it would print...

Thanks for that! When I select an 8x10 for example I can see the white borders on either side of the image. I was worried when you said 'all around' but I think that was just a figure of speech!

Hey, I have found another thing that is a bit tricky. I am sure this has been mentioned before. I there anyway to include my selected print sizes (5x7, 8x12, 10x15, 16x24, 20x30) on the one print option? At the moment when someone would go to place an order it would show up as only 5x7 and 20x30 are available unless they are smart enough to change to specialty prints and select one of the alternative sizes. Any workaround for this?

Thanks again!
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2006
    Cammo wrote:
    Hi Guys!! thumb.gif

I tried this link and it does not go to your site, I get a "No galleries found" page. I don't use a custom host name so I can't help you fix it but thought you may like to know.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    I tried this link and it does not go to your site, I get a "No galleries found" page. I don't use a custom host name so I can't help you fix it but thought you may like to know.

Hmmm, that was using the CName alias to forward any photos.cameronlaird.com.au to camlaird.smugmug.com - Anyhow, I have now changed it to a regular Web Forwarding so give http://photos.cameronlaird.com.au another shot!

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2006
    And another question while I am at it..

I have my viewing styles locked to smugmug only and would like to also make a change to the Slideshow feature. I realise I can remove it alltogether however I would like it to stay but not stretch the photos to fit screen. I view at 1600x1200 res and my photos look terrible stretched to that, is there any way of restricting the slideshow feature to display at 800 px on the longest side?

Thanks!

Cammo
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2006
    Cammo wrote:
    Hmmm, that was using the CName alias to forward any photos.cameronlaird.com.au to camlaird.smugmug.com - Anyhow, I have now changed it to a regular Web Forwarding so give http://photos.cameronlaird.com.au another shot!

Thanks!

The link works great now.

Sorry I can't help you on your other question though.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2006
    Cammo wrote:
    And another question while I am at it..

I have my viewing styles locked to smugmug only and would like to also make a change to the Slideshow feature. I realise I can remove it alltogether however I would like it to stay but not stretch the photos to fit screen. I view at 1600x1200 res and my photos look terrible stretched to that, is there any way of restricting the slideshow feature to display at 800 px on the longest side?

Thanks!

Cammo

Yes. Put this inyour CSS:
    /* kill the big slideshow */
    .play_slideshow {display:none;}

Now you'll only have the SS that shows in the View Style menu.

We actually make photos for the slideshow on the fly after we determine how many pixels are available to us on your monitor. On most machines and with most configurations, it looks really good but it can degrade depending.

One dependency is the size of your monitor and whether you have originals turned off (and larges turned off). For most monitors, we upsample the large size because it's so much faster and easier on the server if you have big originals. But if your monitor is really big, we make them off the originals if you haven't blocked originals. If you've blocked large as well and have a large monitor, we're in a world of hurt because we have to upsample the medium sized image.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2006
    Removing Full Screen Slide show in Regular Slide Show
    And, we've even flexible enough that we allow this:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=238279&postcount=20
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Yes. Put this inyour CSS:
    /* kill the big slideshow */
    .play_slideshow {display:none;}

Now you'll only have the SS that shows in the View Style menu.

We actually make photos for the slideshow on the fly after we determine how many pixels are available to us on your monitor. On most machines and with most configurations, it looks really good but it can degrade depending.

One dependency is the size of your monitor and whether you have originals turned off (and larges turned off). For most monitors, we upsample the large size because it's so much faster and easier on the server if you have big originals. But if your monitor is really big, we make them off the originals if you haven't blocked originals. If you've blocked large as well and have a large monitor, we're in a world of hurt because we have to upsample the medium sized image.

Thanks heaps for that!! I assume there is no way to make the images in that slideshow simply appear at the large size? It is a VERY slick slideshow and the way it runs is great, much different to the slideshow 'style'. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2006
    Cammo wrote:
    Thanks heaps for that!! I assume there is no way to make the images in that slideshow simply appear at the large size? It is a VERY slick slideshow and the way it runs is great, much different to the slideshow 'style'. Any thoughts?

Large is a preference - take a look :)

http://williams.smugmug.com/gallery/734406