• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Gear Digital Darkroom Mac or Windows? Feeling Down

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

View Poll Results: Which do you use?
Mac 21 42.00%
Windows 28 56.00%
Other 1 2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Page 5  of  5
1 2 3 4 5
Old Feb-02-2006, 10:23 AM
Andy is offline Andy
Bicameral
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlof
PocketMac. Both applications have far more issues than Activesync on Windows.
Bah! I spent the last 13 months using [url=http://www.pocketmac.net/]Pocketmac[/ur] with my BlackBerry and has Zero problems. None. Zip. Nada.

And the first 7 of those months was with Entourage. The later months, just Mac Mail, iCal, etc etc
Old Feb-02-2006, 10:27 AM
mercphoto is online now mercphoto
Bill Jurasz
Quote:
I've been pretty close to the Windows Mobile developing group for the past four years, and I've been asking for a decent Mac sync for all that time. But so far, no good.
Is there any compelling reason for Micrsoft to write this port?
Old Feb-02-2006, 10:29 AM
marlof is offline marlof
trying to focus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Bah! I spent the last 13 months using [url=http://www.pocketmac.net/]Pocketmac[/ur] with my BlackBerry and has Zero problems. None. Zip. Nada.
I'm glad the Goggin's worked out the Blackberry sync better than Pocket PC sync. They're actually great guys to deal with, and I wish them best. But their Pocket PC product still is not very polished.
Old Feb-02-2006, 10:34 AM
marlof is offline marlof
trying to focus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercphoto
Is there any compelling reason for Micrsoft to write this port?
As in trying to get the Mac community to use Pocket PCs? I dunno. Let me see.... a PDA platform that does multitasking. That has great screens. That had tons of graphics applications. My brother, who is an industrial designer, fell in love with my first Pocket PC. It was exactly what he wanted. Until he found out it would not sync with his Mac. So he didn't get one.

At the time I made my first request, Missing Sync and Pocket Mac did not even exist. I just don't think MS saw enough opportunities in the Mac world. And of course they were right, and I was wrong. After all their platform currently sells better than others do right now, and even Palm went Windows Mobile.
Old Feb-02-2006, 10:41 AM
DavidTO is offline DavidTO
Mod Emeritus
This should cheer you up!
Old Feb-02-2006, 10:47 AM
Mike Lane is offline Mike Lane
I � Unicode
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTO
This should cheer you up!
Being with the "in" crowd has its downsides sometimes

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
Old Feb-02-2006, 10:51 AM
Mod Emeritus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lane
Being with the "in" crowd has its downsides sometimes

You got it backwards, my friend, the "in" crowd is not the ignorant masses, but the select few that have some special knowledge that others are lacking...
Old Feb-02-2006, 10:59 AM
marlof is offline marlof
trying to focus
Darned, and there I was believing that the in crowd was those who used both Mac and Windows, and were fond of their cameras from that different Japanese company.
Old Feb-02-2006, 11:01 AM
Mod Emeritus
Quote:
Darned, and there I was believing that the in crowd was those who used both Mac and Windows, and were fond of their cameras from that different Japanese company.

I think that puts you in the "in"in"" crowd....
Old Feb-02-2006, 11:07 AM
marlof is offline marlof
trying to focus
Quote:
I think that puts you in the "in"in"" crowd....
Oh my, I have the feeling that being "in""in" is not in fashion right now. But enough on Mac and Windows. Rereading what I've written the past days made me realize I look quite cranky. Which I'm normally not. I just am a strong advocate for doing both parties justice (occupational hazard), and don't believe in unconditional enthousiasm for tech products by multinationals.

But I think I've said enough, and I should better shut up on this subject, and let the Mac Lovers (like me) love their Macs, and let the Windows users (like me) use their Windows boxes.

Back to the pictures for me.
Old Feb-02-2006, 11:23 AM
rutt is offline rutt
Cave canem!
It's easy to forget in the midst of these kind of debates that all computers suck, at least compared to what we really would like them to be.

Think of the Star Trek computer. Or of Data (also Star Trek). Windows and OS X are much more alike than they are like those.

Just to keep things in perspective (and to make sure that there is an infinite amount of computer design and programming left to do.)
Old Feb-02-2006, 11:29 AM
I � Unicode
Quote:
You got it backwards, my friend, the "in" crowd is not the ignorant masses, but the select few that have some special knowledge that others are lacking...
Ya mean the brainwashed are the "in" crowd now? Brainwashing is the new black I heard.

Old Feb-02-2006, 11:32 AM
I � Unicode
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutt
Just to keep things in perspective (and to make sure that there is an infinite amount of computer design and programming left to do.)
Mathematically speaking, there will always be an infinite amount of programming left to do. There are after all an infinite number of meaningful ways you can arrange the various characters we use to make software. Of course, it's a discrete number so it is the smallest of the infinities, but it is still infinity.

Old Feb-02-2006, 11:33 AM
I � Unicode
Quote:
and don't believe in unconditional enthousiasm for tech products by multinationals.
EXACTLY!

Old Feb-02-2006, 12:25 PM
Thusie is offline Thusie
Major grins
Quote:
I

I would be surprised if Apple Works didn't open Publisher files, however.
It won't. Believe me if it did I'd own it In all honesty that is the ONLY win program I miss, so much more fun than Word and more versatile, to me anyway.

Have ran Office Pro since 97-98 on a Win box and have been much more pleased with Office on the Mac.

While I don' think the virus stuff is overhyped on PC's, the I love you virus still shows up now and again, quite a bit is caused by folks not paying attention. Go to sites like BBR and there are still folks running wide open, quite sad actually.
Old Feb-02-2006, 12:43 PM
sebpayne is offline sebpayne OP
Big grins
I love my Macs. After this whole debate, I come back to sqaure one. They are great. Sure, they have bad points but I get round them. Just when everyone I know uses PCs, it is discouraging not being able to 'join in' conversations relating to programmes, hacks and the usual rubbish.

Does anyone else find this? Thanks Again for all the comments!

Seb
Old Feb-02-2006, 12:45 PM
mercphoto is online now mercphoto
Bill Jurasz
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebpayne
I love my Macs. After this whole debate, I come back to sqaure one. They are great. Sure, they have bad points but I get round them. Just when everyone I know uses PCs, it is discouraging not being able to 'join in' conversations relating to programmes, hacks and the usual rubbish.

Does anyone else find this?
No. For one, most my friends are on Macs. For two, its just too much fun to poke fun at Windows users anyway. And for three, I work with computers all day. When I leave work I tend to talk about things other than computers. Because talking about computers in the after hours reminds me too much about work, and that's just plain wrong. :)
Old Feb-02-2006, 12:53 PM
sebpayne is offline sebpayne OP
Big grins
Quote:
No. For one, most my friends are on Macs. For two, its just too much fun to poke fun at Windows users anyway. And for three, I work with computers all day. When I leave work I tend to talk about things other than computers. Because talking about computers in the after hours reminds me too much about work, and that's just plain wrong. :)
Well, my two passions are computers and photography. I don't often talk about computers (at the risk of becoming too much of a geek/nerd) at school. Ocasionally, photography comes into the conversation but I limit myself on how much detail I talk about.

Seb
Old Feb-03-2006, 10:38 AM
NHBubba is offline NHBubba
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebpayne
Just when everyone I know uses PCs, it is discouraging not being able to 'join in' conversations relating to programmes, hacks and the usual rubbish.

Does anyone else find this?
Absoloutely! I guess I'm on the other side of the spectrum from Merc here. I have family and friends that run Macs, most notably my kid sister, but the majority use PC's. Sharing files, tips, tricks, and so-on w/ them is trivial.

Don't ever worry about becomming too much of a 'geek/nerd'. Geeks and nerds may get the blunt end of the jokes in school, but out in the real world roles are reversed 9 out of 10 times!
Page 5  of  5
1 2 3 4 5
Tell The World!