Options

New Styles: Journal Medium, Journal Large

dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
edited February 1, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I have posted this request whenever it seemed appropriate knowing I could get in trouble for being repetitive. But JT asked me if I had "mocked up" my Idea, so I figured I would start a thread on it... I don't want to clutter the Request thread.

The current Journal Style uses Small pics - 400 wide - (about 20kb's)
--too small, especially if user has large, high resolution monitor
--still have to click on each pic to see a decent size, which ruins the "story"

Here is a rough example of what I am asking for, obviously not as cool our Journal style, but you get the idea... (they use pics that are about halfway between our Medium and Large picture size.

Sorry I couldn't make an exact mockup to look at but with some calculations, it looks very doable

Journal Medium: use Medium pics
--600 wide (about 40kb's) -already exist, no addtl processing
--room for captions on left and right side of pics

Journal Large: use Large pics
--800 wide (about 60kb's) -already exist, no addtl processing
--put captions under pics

The only modifications to the screen would be to move the captions under the picture instead of along side. I like the current Journal's layout (with pictures alternating between justify left and right) and I think this could be maintained with Journal Medium at least.

Reasons this could be done easily, with minimal impact, minimal testing:
Journal Medium and Journal Large would be NEW Styles:
--no impact to current users
--can be blocked by pro's
--won't come up as a default
Uses existing jpg sizes which you have processed and are ready to go
It is 98% done (ie Journal), with slight mods to Journal Style, we have a great new way to view pics :):

Looking forward to viewing pics with my scroll bar, no more Click...Back, Click...Back, Click...Back
or Next, Next, Next one pic at a time.

I think that about covers it.... what do you think? :dunno

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2006
    dmc wrote:

I think that about covers it.... what do you think? ne_nau.gif

lol3.gif you'll never get in trouble with me! Thanks for the detailed, thoughtful post. It's really good. Can we do it without the spam that that other service uses though? naughty.gif

I'll make sure the crew sees this. Thanks again! WE'd love to hear what other folks think ear.gif
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2006
    Forgot to mention performance:

Leave it up to the user...
    --file size of Large is about 3 times that of small... Since Journal pages load fast, fast*3 is still fast.
    --if load time is too slow, they pick a smaller Journal version
    --if it is too big for their screen, they pick a smaller version
    give the user some credit
  • Options
    BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 31, 2006
    thanks for the feedback... a quick question for clarification on what you are looking for though. Are you looking for another style to be added to the style-menu, or just something on the journal page that can allow you to view it larger/smaller?
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    Ben wrote:
    thanks for the feedback... a quick question for clarification on what you are looking for though. Are you looking for another style to be added to the style-menu, or just something on the journal page that can allow you to view it larger/smaller?

Either I guess, I figured new Styles would impact current customized users less. An option on the Journal for Medium or Large would probably be even better. Same end result.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    Seems like the most sensible option would be to make it akin to the slideshow, filmstrip, and single image views and give the user the option of viewing size. I say there's no need to clutter up the styles chooser.

That said, I give a big sigh to the fact that this will be yet another pain in the butt when it comes to customizations. Theme designers, if this gets implemented, you'll have work ahead of you. The slideshow, single image, and filmstrip styles are the biggest pains because there is really 3 (or 4 for the single image view if originals are allowed) versions of the same style. Moreover, the large version requires your cobraning to fit 800px wide pages whereas the small and medium only require you to fit the default 750px wide pages.

So again, sigh. Not difficult, just more work.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 31, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Seems like the most sensible option would be to make it akin to the slideshow, filmstrip, and single image views and give the user the option of viewing size. I say there's no need to clutter up the styles chooser.

That said, I give a big sigh to the fact that this will be yet another pain in the butt when it comes to customizations. Theme designers, if this gets implemented, you'll have work ahead of you. The slideshow, single image, and filmstrip styles are the biggest pains because there is really 3 (or 4 for the single image view if originals are allowed) versions of the same style. Moreover, the large version requires your cobraning to fit 800px wide pages whereas the small and medium only require you to fit the default 750px wide pages.

So again, sigh. Not difficult, just more work.

as of the last update, no more originals in singleImage. A small consolation, but reason for rejoice none the less.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    It works!
    Andy wrote:

Ahhh, those guys in the customization forum have been going at it..... They have exactly what I was asking for already working!

Here are the latest examples.... (no guarantee how long these links will work, they are demo's only)

Journal Medium
    Journal Large

Awesome! clap.gif

I may have to upgrade my membership so I can use this... not sure I can wait. Good job guys!
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    Andy wrote:

And some pretty nice shots, too!
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    geoeremitegeoeremite Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    And some pretty nice shots, too!

Thanks! I started the LAB book a couple of weeks ago and have been working those until they're ready for my first whipping. (Not to hijack the thread.)