Options

Bound for Glory - Book review

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
edited January 21, 2006 in Technique
I have enjoyed the book reviews by Rutt and others and I found one yesterday that I think some of us may enjoy and learn from.

[imgl]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0810943484.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg[/imgl]

"Bound for Glory: America in Color 1939-1943" is a fascinating set of images shot by phototographers shooting for the Fed Govt in the Farm Security Administration and its successor the Office of War Information.

Almost all of the images we have seen of this country in the 1930's and 1940's were shot in black and white. Think Walker Evans, Dorthea Lange, Marion Post Wolcott et al.

B&W because color was not really widely avaiable much prior to the mid 30's, and during the war, color film was not availabe to the average consumer because it was a war material and rationed. My father was stationed at Fort Sam Huston in 1944, and did shoot some Kodachrome ( ASA 10 or 12) which he purchased in Mexico. No rationing of film in Mexico!!

The images are typical Kodachrome images - saturated colors with deep dark shadows without shadow detail - just the way I love Kodachrome. From the back country of the Lousiana Delta country, to the country sides of California and Texas and Kentucky, the color images of the agricultural landscape of the 30's and 40's is lovely and recalls life of a different and much harder era in America. The images just resonate for me - but then Americana is an area I dearly enjoy. I enjoyed this book heartily:thumb

For new to digital shooters, who never shot with Kodachrome slide reversal film, here is a picture of my mother, from 1944, shot on Kodachrome 10. And to the right, is an image of yours truly, on his first wooden horse in 1944. I STILL have that wooden horse, that my father made for me long ago. Maybe that is why iron horses appeal to me so. The colors are pure Kodachrome again.

[imgl]http://Pathfinder.smugmug.com/photos/701677-M-1.jpg[/imgl] [imgr]http://Pathfinder.smugmug.com/photos/944043-M.jpg[/imgr]
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    Awesome, PF.

Is this going up with the rest of our reviews?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Awesome, PF.

Already done deal.gif

bowdown.gifbowdown.gif thanks Pathfinder!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited January 21, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Awesome, PF.

I just threw this together last last night. If I had thought it was bound for the formal dgrin reviews, I would have filled it with bigger words and more blarney:D

I really enjoyed this look at the colors of the small towns and farms at the end of the Depression and the early War years. What started out as a political statement to encourge public support for more Federal aid became an artistic gallery, and then, later, in the war years, propaganda of a sort to help mobilize the public's support and mood.

These color images have been overlooked for all these years - only the B&Ws widely circulated of the dust bowl images of the Sooners moving to California into the aircraft industry of WWII, and all the others we have seen previously.

The stability and tonality of Kodachrome endures in these images.thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    I ordered this and am really looking forward to it.
    If not now, when?