Options

Flashpoint II 1820 Monolight Kit

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,853 moderator
edited February 5, 2006 in Accessories
Anybody have this head or kit? Comments?

ziggy53
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Options
    edited January 18, 2006
    To answer my own question, it looks like James Eakin and Pathfinder are DGRINners that use this brand, and James has the 1820s to boot.

I am hoping one or both will comment.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 18, 2006
    I hear ya, Angelo.

Yes, I purchased the Adoram Flashpoint 620 wedding kit last winter. I have been satisfied with it. I looked at the higher output 1220 and 1820, but didn't think I would need the power as the room I use is only about 20 x 22 feet.
    The kit comes with two umbrellas that are white with a black outside removeable cover for shooting through. The included light stands are 10 feet tall and reasonably stable at full height. The light output is variable by a rheostat control as opposed to push button 1/4 or 1/2 stop buttons. And there is a flash sensor for triggering the flash by a remote flash - seems to work well indoors ( I just have never tried it outdours - it might work there too) The modelling light has two output settings and can be turned off. It all comes in a nice black nylon case about 12in x12 in x 3 feet.

The flashes are made in China and the modelling lights and the flash tubes are user replaceable. They are fan cooled. They have a standard ring fitting for mounting softboxes and diffusers. I bought a 2x4 ft soft box for them also.

The ability to control the light and free oneself from changing aperatures and shutter speeds to concentrate on the image is great benefit. Shoot in manual after metering with your camera or a flash light meter. I bought the Sekonic-358 because it can be purchased with a wireless trigger to fire Pocket Wizards, and it is really sweet to set up the lights, pop the flashes with the meter, and be ready to go to work.

I have no experience with Alien Bees, but I know that is the brand many folks talk about and use. I might even buy a battery powered on at some point, but for now, I am quite pleased with the FlashPoints from Adorama.

I also ordered some studio grey background paper that I plan to experiment some more with. Some post-Thanksgiving dinner abuse of relatives can be seen here - http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/gallery/998459 - These were all lit with the Flashpoints and were my first real experiment with Studio lighting. I had fun and I think my family enjoyed the images I gave them all for Christmas.

This is my nephew and his SO [imgr]http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/photos/46170002-L.jpg[/imgr]

I think my background paper could be darker, but I was using a small kicker light to help seperate the subjects from the background that I may not have needed.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2006
    Thanks Pathfinder!

BTW, this is "ziggy", not "Angelo". I regard the mistaken identity as a compliment, but you might want to avoid Angelo for a while. rolleyes1.gif

Anyway...

I intend to use these in both a studio setting and for wedding and event location work. (It could be an occasional outdoor venue, probably with AC power.) It would probably require a softbox frequently (studio) and also bounce and double diffusion. That's why I think the 1820 is indicated.

I've used Bowens units for some time, and I think these are somewhat similar specifications.

My plan is to purchase a couple of these kits for test and see how I like them. I'll probably also get a softbox, either one of the Flashpoint boxes, or the Photoflex adapter and a Photogenic box. If I like them, I'll probably get a couple more flash kits, although probably the 1220 kits for the second round.

Thanks again,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 19, 2006
    Sorry, Ziggy, for the mistaken identity - It must have been a brain f..t:):

Please post your impressions of the FlashPoint 1820s when you have some experience with them. I would be most interested. I can see why you need the stronger versions. Also I am interested in your impressions of the softboxes you finally use as well
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2006
    Excellent review PF. Thanks!

Erich
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2006
    The first, semi-serious, shot from the new FlashPoint 1820s.

The setup: bedroom, the only room I could setup fairly quickly, and depend on it not being disturbed.

The camera: Canon dRebel XT, with a Sigma 18-50mm, f2.8 lens, set at 50mm and f11.

Three flashes:

One FlashPoint 1820 with softbox, 24"x36", above and in front of the subject (me), set at its' lowest power.

One FlashPoint 1820 with umbrella, reflected (w/black cover), just behind the camera, on the side opposite the softbox and a bit higher than the lens, power at 1/4.

One Vivitar 285 flash, set on the window sill behind the subject and behind the sheer curtain, but in front of a window blind. Interestingly, this light also added a little hair-light by bouncing off the ceiling.

All contributing flashes were slaved, triggered by a hot-shoe flash on the camera, set at 1/128 power (so it really didn't contribute any light to the shot.)
    ziggy53