Options

>>> dgrin challenge 21 - after sundown <<<

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited September 26, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
dgrin challenge 21 is here. it will run from monday, september 6th at 12:01am nyc time, through monday, september 20th at noon nyc time. the guest judge this time is going to be the winner of challenge 20, determined by the voters. we'll try something new this challenge, for comments and critiques. it's all explained here.

remember, in order for this to work, you should be commenting and critiquing for others as much as you expect to get for yourself. you've got to give to get!

challenge 21 is about shooting "after sundown" so take an afternoon nap, folks, and get out there at the end of the day :D if you are doing a night landscape or cityscape, get in position 45 minutes before sunset. you might get a good sunset - and turn around, you'll be surprised at what that fading light does to the scene behind you. i find, some of the best light for scenics & landscapes is the 30-45 minutes right after the sun goes down. you can get some great blue sky and sometimes a lovely gradient, from pink at the horizon to blue way up high.

n.b.: as this challenge is for "after dark," photos of sunsets or sunrises will not be allowed. i will allow, however, photos taken of any scene opposite the sunset, or sunrise, where you are capturing some sweet fading light at the end of the day or breaking at the beginning of a new day - see the photo of the thames river barrier below for an example. so, for our purposes, "after dark" means that time when the sun is just disappearing behind the horizon in the west, until the sun just comes up in the east.

why no sunsets or sunrises? well, we've all taken them, plenty of times, so get out there and challenge yourself to do something new and different.

here's a link for inspiration:

the sony forum's challenge on "after the sun is gone"

and here are a few examples, submitted by me, to get you thinking:
7988494-S.jpg8030218-S.jpg

7486278-M.jpg1623857-S-1.jpg

here are some shooting tips for "after dark"
  • shoot with a tripod and remote shutter release
  • carefully watch your histogram to avoid blown highlights
  • a good starting point after the sun is down is f/4 and 4 seconds, lowest iso
  • shoot in raw if you have it, the night lighting is challenging for white balance
  • bring a flashlight so you can easily see the controls on your camera
  • experiment with neutral density filters to slow your shutter speed, this can have a dramatic effect on carnival rides, automobile lights, star trails, and water of any kind

post processing takes a bit more time for night work. for digicams, plan on doing some noise reduction for skies and water. for all shooters, take a look at my nightshot post-processing tutorial

all of the other rules of the dgrin challenges apply, click here to review them

this thread, is the one into which you post your challenge entry, and remember, one entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during the challenge period

***challenge 21 will close to entries on monday, september 20th, 2004 at 12 noon nyc time***

enjoy (challenge) photography,

Comments

• Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2004
    You want to make something out of it?
    Guy putting on a stern face outside the Sanrio (Hello Kitty) shop in Times Sq.
    IH9T3429.jpg
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    OscarMeierOscarMeier Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 15, 2004
    Challenge 21 submission
    "Friends in the dark"
    8299184-M.jpg
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2004
    Shem Creek photography by ginger
    8630853-L.jpg

Shem Creek
    Mt Pleasant, SC

Photograpy by ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    Blade929Blade929 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 16, 2004
    My 3series is watching by Darby Ashmore

8615537-L.jpg
  • Options
    jantzenjantzen Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 17, 2004
    "Strom Thurmond Walk to Wellness Center" by Jantzen

Staright out of camera, would like to process, but no editing software on this machine at work.

I hope it stands on its' own merit, but don't worry, I will process and see how much I can polish it up.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

Exif info follows below photo.

8644256-L.jpg

EXIF

Photograph DetailsDate Taken:2004-09-16 19:59:44Make:SONYModel: DSC-F828 Size: 3264x2448 Bytes: 3380674 Aperture: f/8.0 ISO: 64 Focal Length: 7.1mm Exposure Time: 10s (100/10)JPEG Quality:8Flash:16Exposure Program:ManualExposure Bias:0ExposureMode:1LightSource:1White Balance:manualSharpness:1ColorSpace:sRGB
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2004
    "VSU at Night" - by Thomas (tmlphoto)
    "VSU at Night"

8708439-L.jpg
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    johnnydangerjohnnydanger Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited September 19, 2004
    The Railroad to Nowhere
    therailroad.jpg

Canon 10D 70-200mm f2.8 IS
    Capture info: 3" @ f2.8 90mm ISO 400
    Captured on 9/12/04 @ 11:44pm
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
  • Options
    Jeff698Jeff698 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    Tree Enchantment
    From the top of Sandia Peak in Albuquerque, NM.

8741007-L.jpg

Take care,
    Jeff
  • Options
    gottagotta Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    *challenge 21 Ship at Rest
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    Haulover Pier by PerezDesignGroup
    8663604-L.jpg
    Haulover Pier by PerezDesignGroup.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    Silent Factory
    Silent Factory

8758501-L.jpg
  • Options
    LBGLBG Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2004
    "Neopolitan" Eastern Clouds
    8382923-L.jpg
  • Options
    R&amp;RR&amp;R Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    Disney Castle
    Taken at Night of Joy 2004

8772516-L.jpg
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    Ken Cinema
    This is a landmark in one of the older sections of San Diego - Kensington. They show "art" films and classics.

8774668-L.jpg
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    Edited at a viewers suggestion..... Col Vigo and his Aid to the Revolution

8773391-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    A Passage at Night
    Night1PP.jpg
  • Options
    BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    See the bat, Mom?
    8516575-M.jpg

Lake Hubbard. MI
    ISO 1600, 1/30, D-Rebel
  • Options
    RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    Old Town Dockside Eatery
    boat-2-1.jpg

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    Shanghai

8783329-L.jpg
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    "the touch" a portrait of love, after dark
    "the touch" a portrait of love, after dark
    ginette

8770151-L.jpg
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2004
    charles - you want to make something of it?
    cmr164 wrote:
    Guy putting on a stern face outside the Sanrio (Hello Kitty) shop in Times Sq.
    IH9T3429.jpg

from andy:

charles, while i see you took this at night, it says to me more "street photography" than "after the sun has gone" i'd be more interested in this photo if the gent was looking at me .. hard to do i know! i think the pic has a bit of oof / lack of sharpness due to the exposure, too. that could be saved in post, various ways (i might try tri-x routine on this, but that's a personal pref). thanks for your continued participation in the challenges.

from gubbs:
    Great catch & a great expression although I’d like to see more of the scene for an explanation of the expression and maybe less of the pillar, I don’t think “after sundown” comes through strongly enough though
  • Options
    oscar meier - friends in the dark
    OscarMeier wrote:
    "Friends in the dark"
    8299184-S.jpg

from andy: oscar - great idea, and this could be a winner. look for my nightshots post-processing thread in the hall of wisdom - your pic could use leveling of the horizon for the background, and some color / exposure adjustments. i really like your creativity here, it's nearly done. keep up the good work.

from gubbs:
    Excellent idea! The city scene with the reflections is good, (with a bit of post could be excellent) and it’s a good shot of your friends, but I find the two elements together slightly distracting
  • Options
    ginger - shem creek
    ginger_55 wrote:
    8630853-S.jpg

Shem Creek
    Mt Pleasant, SC

Photograpy by ginger

from andy:

ginger - i wanted to pick this photo as a finalist. and i would have if it were sharper, and less noisy. not sure if you did this with rebel or your p&s but i recommend a reshoot with your rebel, a tripod, iso 100, and have at it! it's such a lovely scene, the colors and the boats and a dramatic sky. i really enjoy watching you work through your post work, and the decision as to which shot you'll enter. keep up the good work!

from gubbs:
    Lovely composition and I think the colours in the water are beautiful. Despite all your efforts in post I’m afraid agree with Andy. I would love to see it re-shot
  • Options
    blade29 - three series
    Blade929 wrote:
    My 3series is watching by Darby Ashmore

8615537-S.jpg

from andy:

it's a cool shot, though i find it very dark for my tastes. i think you could shoot this with different exposure to bring out some more of the shadows, and it would really pop. thanks for entering!

from gubbs:
    The angle helps to dramatise the shot, and exaggerate the menacing, sinister look, but it doesn’t grab me, I think it needs another element to give some extra interest ( a silhouetted cat or something??? ne_nau.gif )
  • Options
    jantzen - strom thurmond walk
    jantzen wrote:
    "Strom Thurmond Walk to Wellness Center" by Jantzen

8644256-S.jpg

from andy:

the voters chose you! nice shot, about the only improvement i could think of would be to capture the scene with a slow-walking couple going up the path.

congrats again.

from gubbs:
    What more can I say, I think andy’s covered it all there… congratulations! clap.gif
  • Options
    tmlphoto - vsu at night
    tmlphoto wrote:
    "VSU at Night"

8708439-S.jpg

from andy:

b&w is an excellent choice for "after the sun goes down" -- it takes away the color casts and it's very dramatic. you did a fine job here, nice angle (i like odd angles) and there's plenty of detail - good exposure.

from gubbs:
    Cool angle, the contrasts are lovely, and its all so sharp, excellent “after sundown” shot thumb.gif
  • Options
    johnnydanger - railroad to nowhere
    therailroad.jpg

from andy: i would prefer this shot from ground level, it would be less surveillance-like and more dramatic. also, there's no real focal point for me to engage with.

from gubbs:
    My first thought was that it needed a train (long exposure) thundering through but think you would benefit by experimenting with some other angles too thumb.gif
  • Options
    jeff698 - tree enchantment
    Jeff698 wrote:
    From the top of Sandia Peak in Albuquerque, NM.

8741007-S.jpg

Take care,
    Jeff

from andy:

hi jeff - you pulled off a nice exposure, but becuase of the close up-ness of this shot, it's hard to tell if it's after sundown vs. the 1/2 hour before sunset, with the golden light. it's a fine abstract-y sort of photo, but i found it not as engaging as some of the othe entries. congrats on the effort though, and do keep entering :D

from gubbs:
    Lovely autumnal colours, and interesting shapes, but I think it needs a little more space and suffers slightly from its central position
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2004
    gotta - ship at rest
    gotta wrote:

from andy:

it's a good exposure though the overall shot is a bit soft. the softness could work if it were a wider scene, i feel this is just a close up of a boat - it doesn't engage me very well. next time, try for something more, to put the scene in context , ok? thanks for entering, and please come back for more :)

from gubbs:

There’s a lot of good things here but I think this needs to be shot wider, I’m sure there must have been an opportunity for reflections? Definitely worth a re-shoot!
This discussion has been closed.