Options

how to fix exif time inaccuracies?

dominikdominik Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited January 7, 2006 in Finishing School
I just finished uploading a bunch of photos... and when browsing on smugmug, noticed some of them have completely wrong exif date information, thanks to a camera battery dying and resetting the date to 2000 :-/

Is there an easy way to fix the exif date information on smugmug? I know the correct date for all the photos since I stored them in folders by date.

If it isn't possible on smugmug, does anyone have recommendations on how to fix the exif date information?

It's about 300+ photos that are incorrect, and I also have another set of 700 photos from germany where I forgot to adjust the camera for the time zone... so any solution that doesn't involve modifying photos one-by-one would be ideal.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2006
    dominik wrote:
    I just finished uploading a bunch of photos... and when browsing on smugmug, noticed some of them have completely wrong exif date information, thanks to a camera battery dying and resetting the date to 2000 :-/

Is there an easy way to fix the exif date information on smugmug? I know the correct date for all the photos since I stored them in folders by date.

If it isn't possible on smugmug, does anyone have recommendations on how to fix the exif date information?

It's about 300+ photos that are incorrect, and I also have another set of 700 photos from germany where I forgot to adjust the camera for the time zone... so any solution that doesn't involve modifying photos one-by-one would be ideal.

I wish I had a better answer for you, but unfortunately, the only way to do it is to use an exif editor on your system (Exifer is one...) and edit the exif. Then re-upload to SmugMug.

All the best,

Andy
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I wish I had a better answer for you, but unfortunately, the only way to do it is to use an exif editor on your system (Exifer is one...) and edit the exif. Then re-upload to SmugMug.

All the best,

Andy

Figured. Thanks. Perhaps an exif editor will be integrated into smugmug one day :)

If I re-upload will I have to remove the existing files or will they be auto-replaced since it'll be the same gallery and same filename?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2006
    dominik wrote:
    Figured. Thanks. Perhaps an exif editor will be integrated into smugmug one day :)

If I re-upload will I have to remove the existing files or will they be auto-replaced since it'll be the same gallery and same filename?

Bulk Delete the old files, or delete the whole gallery, if replacing all of them. Then reload.

They will not be autoreplaced.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Bulk Delete the old files, or delete the whole gallery, if replacing all of them. Then reload.

They will not be autoreplaced.

Thank you again!
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2006
    Here's a cross-platform exif tool:
    http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2006
    I use Exifer fairly often to fix timestamps and have been quite pleased with it; however, I recently tried it on some photos that someone else gave me and it corrupted those images. I looked around for something better and didn't have much luck.

This one looks promising, but I've yet to try it (Windows only):

http://www.pixvue.com/index.html

It also edits the IPTC data and it is free.

If anyone has used it, I'd be interested in hearing their thoughts.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2006
    If you are a nerd you may like jhead
    If not now, when?