Options

Broken Command Dial on my S9000

nickphoto123nickphoto123 Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
edited January 5, 2006 in Cameras
Would you believe this?:

I picked up my camera to shoot falling snow from my window and the Command Dial fell off as I was turning it to adjust my historgram info!!!

I could not believe what I saw. The spindle of the Command Dial is thinner than the lead of a pencil and made of plastic. The Command Dial extends over the edge of the camera's right rear top corner. Even when holding the camera strap, the strap itself could exert force on the Command Dial. And with it having such a weakly engineered spinle one can see how it could be easily broken, even with the user handling his camera with care.

For this reason, that is, the S9000 has such a large Archilles Heel, I can not suggest anyone consider this camera, regardless of my previous statements regarding the S9000.

Here are two images showing my camera's missing Command Dial and then folowed by a picture of the underside of the broken command dial showing just how thin its spindle is.

I will be very interested in Fuji's handling of this problem after the holiday.

Regards, Nicholas

Comments

• Options
    edited December 31, 2005
    Broken Command Dialm Image #2
    See how thin the Plastic spindle is?

Regards, Nicholas
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2005
    Sorry to see that, mate. I hope Fuji is helpful.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2005
    Just remember that it is a prosumer camera. Usually they are not built up to the standards of a high quality dSLR. I guess there may have been a trade-off from the great image quality.....cheap build quality.ne_nau.gif
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2005
    I'm truly sorry about your broken dial. I can sympathize with you what a horrible feeling it is when an expensive item like this just falls appart on you. I hope Fuji treats you right.

Erich
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2006
    Broken Command Dil on my S9000
    Thanks for your comments.

Even a Prosumer camera should meet normal use standards. How could Fuji permit this 'negligent' engineering off their assembly line?

I will report their response when I get one.

Regards, Nicholas
  • Options
    howardhoward Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited January 1, 2006
    I don't see a difference in expectation of quality between a camera with fixed lens compared to one that takes interchangeable lenses. At least not when prices are about the same. For example your Fuji and the entry DSLRs from Nikon, Olympus and Konica Minolta. Especially if you consider what the sensor and lens conection on the DSLR adds to the price. I understand that the Fuji has a "magazoom" attached but given the sensor size that probably doesn't add unduly to the cost these days. So you are right to expect high quality and "fitness for purpose" from your camera and don't let anyone convince you otherwise.
    Thanks for your comments.

Even a Prosumer camera should meet normal use standards. How could Fuji permit this 'negligent' engineering off their assembly line?

I will report their response when I get one.

Regards, Nicholas
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2006
    howard wrote:
    I don't see a difference in expectation of quality between a camera with fixed lens compared to one that takes interchangeable lenses. At least not when prices are about the same. For example your Fuji and the entry DSLRs from Nikon, Olympus and Konica Minolta. Especially if you consider what the sensor and lens conection on the DSLR adds to the price. I understand that the Fuji has a "magazoom" attached but given the sensor size that probably doesn't add unduly to the cost these days. So you are right to expect high quality and "fitness for purpose" from your camera and don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

Well, I guess this is going to be a hijack. 1drink.gif

I completely agree that the camera should be of highly quality and that you should expect "fitness for purpose."

But I don't believe it's reasonable to compare the build quality of prosumer all-in-one camera to that of a dSLR body. When you get into dSLRs, you quickly realize that the biggest cost isn't the camera body, it's the glass.

Prosumer cameras come with glass attached, a zoom that's been highly engineered. That glass costs money. So for roughly the same price as an entry-level dSLR body, you're getting body and glass. Something has to give, and does.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2006
    Broken S900 Dial, New Picture 1 of 3
    Hello All,

Thank for your input on this problem.

I was able to dig up my D60, and after trying to remember how to use it, I took 3 more images of my broken S9000 Command Dial and its spindle:

Regards, Nicholas
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2006
    Broen S9000 Dial, new pic 2 of 3
    2 of 3

This is the Command dial put in place upsidedown to show you how thin the plastic spindel is that is attaced to the dial:
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2006
    Broken S9000 Dial, New pic 3 of 3
    3 of 3
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2006
    And your point is?
    Well, usually these type of things are engineered to take quite a bit of abuse. And, with the plastics of today, compared to the compounds of 10 years ago, you must have put quite a bit of pressure on it to break it.

So, time to call and get this fixed under warranty. Also, why are we hearing about this from you? Just send it back and get it repaired. Live and learn...
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    Nick, sorry about your camera. I know it was working well for you and the zoom results were pretty impressive.

Indeed, the shaft on that dial looks pretty lightweight in design and construction. Regardless of prosumer or dslr, I would expect a more robust construction that what you have discovered.

Good luck with Fuji.

And responding to previous post:
    And, with the plastics of today, compared to the compounds of 10 years ago, you must have put quite a bit of pressure on it to break it.

Huh?? I'm sure nick doesn't need defending but it seems like a little bit of a leap in your assumption - if an integral part of my D70 just falls off, I hope Nikon doesn't automatically assume that I've mishandled my equipment - which I haven't.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited January 2, 2006
    Broken S9000 Command Dial
    Thanks Wholenewlight,

I really needed that.

On another Forum, a poster pointed out to me a very interesting observation:

Looking at the underside of the dial, there are 4 pins, which seem to fit into the circular metal plate just inside the camera. The poster noticed that two of these 4 pins are missing. He suggested that it was a manufacturing flaw and with only two pins working it put additional stress on the spindle, causing it to weaken and break.

This is a perfect example of the value of posting one's photographic problems on a good forum, such as Digitalgrin. You get valuable input.

I handle my camera as any photographer would after spending his hard earned money for it.

Here are the ' missing ' pins:

Regards, Nichoas
  • Options
    OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    The photographic, technical quality of your shots with the D60 are much greater than the S9000. That is one thing I have noticed.
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    With the pin missing issue, could it have been that when it broke those 2 pins flew off somewhere? I've had things break on me and parts have gone flying. I'm not saying that it happened, but it might have been a possibility.ne_nau.gif
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2006
    Broken S9000 Dial
    They are not 'pins' in the true sense, they are "molded bumps" on the surface.

My first 2 shots are not representative of what the S9000 is capable.
    They were rush shots before our going to dinner that day.

Regards, Nicholas
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    Nick,

I'm not sure if those "pins" are really missing. I'm looking at the shot where you show the underside of the dial and I see two pins there. I think one side broke off from the base of the dial and the other from the base of the disk around the spindle.

Erich
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2006
    Broken Dial..Dropped off for Repair
    Called Fuji :

"No problem", " This is first such problem" as per the Rep. Given name of local repair service.

Called Repair Service: "You can drop camera off today".

Brought camera to Repair Service.

Tech Rep said problem "can be solved in 20 minutes but dos not have the part". "First time he saw an S9000 in for repair". They will send it to Fuji. Was issued receipt detailing items included, (lens cap, etc), marked "repair under warranty". He said Fuji will call them when they receive it and then he will call me to let me know how long it will take.

He said it "could take a while, about 2 weeks."

I reminded him to send the broken dial with the cap so Fuji doesn't just see a camera with a missing dial, but the broken dial as well. He sad he will do so.

Where does this leave me and if the camera will be fixed by Fuji under warranty, I really don't know .

But I will surely keep you all informed. So far it sounds good.

Regards, Nicholas
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    Glad to hear this is not a common problem. Hopefully your dial just had a defective pin and the problem will be cured with a replacement.

Fuji could have offered to Fedex the part to the repair center if this is truly an easy fix. You would have had your camera repaired in 2-3 days instead of 2 weeks.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2006
    Broken Dial..Someone else too!!!
    I am sorry to hear someone else has a broken dial:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1012&message=16579481

Exactly what happened to me.

Regards, Nicholas
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited January 5, 2006
    2-3 weeks is pretty standard quote. Cool thing is that you'll probably get it
    back in less time and be all happy that Fuji did so well.

Frankly, I'm glad you got the camera to the repair shop in time to avoid the
    rush.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?