Proposal on the Beach

jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
edited September 9, 2014 in People
I had to use some of my wildlife ninja stalking skills on this set. The future groom asked me to follow them on their walk on the beach and get the proposal.

p901988795-5.jpg

p810202978-5.jpg

p1064611667-5.jpg

p757693112-5.jpg

p712382113-5.jpg

p685326068-5.jpg

p596350902-5.jpg

p818036057-5.jpg

p825683930-5.jpg

p869206479-5.jpg

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited September 7, 2014
    I like these. Except #6 where I'm not sure the expression is very flattering.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2014
    OK, buckle up..................:D

#1 is nice, with a nice comp and casual feel but for me a little flat.

#2, 3, 4, 5 seem on the flat side for me. Also you seem to be on some type of shutter priority, with ISO bouncing from 560 to 800 and I can't figure out why you need a shutter speed of 1/3200?

#6 This one is better as far as some contrast, but skin tone is a smidgin on the orange side on my monitor. Not anything you can do with the harsh sunlight.

#7 My only comment here is the elbow being chopped off and the white balance.

#8 I think the washed out look is what you were going for, but I can not figure out why you would shoot this at ISO 1600 with a 1/3200 shutter speed creating a noisy image.

#9 I wish the wooded chair was not in the image and again can't figure out why you shot this at ISO 2200.

#10 This is my favorite of the series.

The only really important issue here is what the couple thinks and I believe they will be happy.

Sam
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2014
    I was in auto ISO, Manual mode. The lighting changes depending on shade and direct light. I set 1/3200 because that was giving me ISO 200 in direct light. Since I couldn't direct what they were doing nor have enough time to make changes, I erred on having good exposure in direct light and letting auto ISO compensate when they walked in shade. I wasn't going to miss the proposal trying to get perfect exposure.

6-7 is classic golden hour warm orange light. When shooting on the beach I couldn't ask for better light. I agree on the elbow with 6. I have better composed shots but not better expressions from him.

8-9 I goofed in regards to ISO and setting. I was concentrating on getting the shot I forgot about the ISO settings. You may ask why I had such a high ss and shooting at 2.8. The answer is the 70-200 is stuck at 2.8. I need to send in for repairs but it was the best lens for the job.
    edited September 7, 2014
    jonh68 wrote: »
    I was in auto ISO, Manual mode. The lighting changes depending on shade and direct light. I set 1/3200 because that was giving me ISO 200 in direct light. Since I couldn't direct what they were doing nor have enough time to make changes, I erred on having good exposure in direct light and letting auto ISO compensate when they walked in shade. I wasn't going to miss the proposal trying to get perfect exposure.

6-7 is classic golden hour warm orange light. When shooting on the beach I couldn't ask for better light. I agree on the elbow with 6. I have better composed shots but not better expressions from him.

8-9 I goofed in regards to ISO and setting. I was concentrating on getting the shot I forgot about the ISO settings. You may ask why I had such a high ss and shooting at 2.8. The answer is the 70-200 is stuck at 2.8. I need to send in for repairs but it was the best lens for the job.

I have never thought of using auto ISO. I will need to chew on this idea a bit. With the malfunctioning 70-200 I now understand why your at 1/3200.

AS to using higher ISO. I am an anti noise fanatic. :D I tend to shoot at the lowest ISO I can. I am learning to go ahead and not sacrifice getting a clean shot by using an unnecessarily low ISO setting, but it's still an up hill battle.

Sam
    edited September 7, 2014
    Sam wrote: »
    I have never thought of using auto ISO. I will need to chew on this idea a bit. With the malfunctioning 70-200 I now understand why your at 1/3200.

AS to using higher ISO. I am an anti noise fanatic. :D I tend to shoot at the lowest ISO I can. I am learning to go ahead and not sacrifice getting a clean shot by using an unnecessarily low ISO setting, but it's still an up hill battle.

Sam

When I was shooting outdoor sports on a regular basis, I got the tip of exposing for the best light and letting auto ISO compensate for when the action gets in the shade. You just don't have time to keep changing the camera settings. If you are in shutter priority without auto ISO, then you have DOF issues and underexposure. If you are in A mode, then you run the risk of not having enough SS to freeze action.

Using auto ISO in manual mode lets you set shutter and aperture, but gives you the chance of getting the shots when conditions change by the second. Yes, I will sacrifice noise over missing the shot by fooling with the camera.
    edited September 8, 2014
    jonh68 wrote: »
    When I was shooting outdoor sports on a regular basis, I got the tip of exposing for the best light and letting auto ISO compensate for when the action gets in the shade. You just don't have time to keep changing the camera settings. If you are in shutter priority without auto ISO, then you have DOF issues and underexposure. If you are in A mode, then you run the risk of not having enough SS to freeze action.

Using auto ISO in manual mode lets you set shutter and aperture, but gives you the chance of getting the shots when conditions change by the second. Yes, I will sacrifice noise over missing the shot by fooling with the camera.

I am going to remember this and give it a try.

Thanks

Sam
  • D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2014
    Top shot John ! Especially the last one…..
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2014
    Wow, I really like these. I bet they, do, too. I love #1, #2, #5. The color looks way off to me in #8--#10 is so much better--Love #10!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
    edited September 9, 2014
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    Wow, I really like these. I bet they, do, too. I love #1, #2, #5. The color looks way off to me in #8--#10 is so much better--Love #10!

Thanks, 8 was directly behind the sun, that's the color you get.