Options

Vivian Maier - Uh-Ohh... now the Lawyers

EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
edited September 9, 2014 in Street and Documentary

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,918 moderator
    edited September 7, 2014
    Right, just a disinterested lawyer who only wants what's fair to some people he never met. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2014
    Richard wrote: »
    Right, just a disinterested lawyer who only wants what's fair to some people he never met. rolleyes1.gif
    I guess I wasn't clear, but, I wasn't offering an opinion about the standing or intent of the parties involved, only that it is unfortunate that a dispute exists that requires legal-system remedies.
    It may be the right thing to do - even necessary, considering the new information... But I'm willing to bet John Maloof would agree with me that it is unfortunate.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2014
    Hmmm...unfortunate doesn't begin to describe it. Unlike you, I was offering an opinion, which is that this looks like nothing more than opportunism to me. Maloof could also be accused of opportunism, I suppose, but had it not been for him, nobody would know anything about Maier, including, I'd bet, the lawyer in question.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2014
    ^^^ Oh, ok, now I get-it - I kinda' mis-understood your comment Richard... I thought maybe I had insulted lawyers (well, I did misspell it in my title).
    I think John Maloof paid for the rights and acted appropriately for what was known at the time - I hope the matter is settled fast, fair, and with minimal
    brain-damage to the innocent people involved in the appreciation, conservation, and distribution of her work.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2014
    Fine art ambulance chasing. Bah, humbug.
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2014
    I fully agree. I've seen the movie and a showing of prints at Brandies.

Should just leave well enough alone.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2014
    15524779-Ti.gif........:fish's

lol3.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited September 7, 2014

Exactly what I was thinking. “He has no interest in this other than being compensated in the way that he is legally obligated to be.”.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited September 7, 2014
    I went to one of the initial gallery displays of her images in downtown Chicago central public Library on February 18, 2011. Very impressive work by Miss Maier.

Who had heard of Vivian Maier then? Without John Maloof's efforts all of her art would have disappeared, unseen, and un-noticed.

I agree, this legal shenanigan is all about the money, most of which would not exist without Maloof's efforts.

What a shame. Let's hope for a judge with true wisdom.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2014
    With regard to lawyers, I side with Shakespeare.

As to the case.............It seems that John Maloof clearly owns the negatives, and acted in good faith to follow copyright law, so what happens if the shyster wins and the claimed relative owns the copyright?

Maloof then can not print, sell, or display the images, but the long lost French guy can't do anything ether because he doesn't own the negatives.

What's the point?

Sam
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,185 moderator
    edited September 9, 2014
    For now, the www.vivianmaier.com site is still up if anyone wants to view some of her more important work. Probably will go dark soon. Hurry.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky