Options

Color or Monochrome?

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited August 25, 2014 in Landscapes
This is a shot of the natural rock bridge which sits a few 100 yards of the coast of Laie Point in Oahu. This is a scenic point that many tourists come to see. We made a quick stop here while driving to another spot further up the coast. Sun was pretty harsh but I took a few seconds to photograph the bridge.

Not sure which version of this shot I prefer. The color or the b&w. Which one do you like better? ...or maybe neither makes a strong image. :scratch I wish I could've shot this from just a slight lower angle to get the rock higher on the horizon but as it is, I was laying on my stomach when I shot this.

15012589652_9b21b30726_h.jpg

Natural Bridge at Laie Point in Oahu by Alex Sotelo, on Flickr

15012958125_c280d84c56_h.jpg

Natural Bridge at Laie Point in Oahu by Alex Sotelo, on Flickr
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2014
    BTW, something interesting I have now found in a couple really long exposures that I've shot during the day, like the one above. When zoomed to 100%, I see what I think are stars! Small little white specs in the sky. I don't think they're noise. They look like stars. But is it possible to capture the brightness of a star during the day?

I'm always amazed at the amount of light our cameras can capture at long exposure so I guess it's possible.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2014
    Color! And its pretty nice!!
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2014
    Color
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2014
    .....I see what I think are stars! Small little white specs in the sky. I don't think they're noise. They look like stars.

This > :s85

Color thumb.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Color! And its pretty nice!!
    Jeffro wrote: »
    Color

I agree. After stepping away and coming back to these, this is a clear case where color is much stronger than B&W.
    Earache wrote: »
    This > :s85

Color thumb.gif

Laughing.gif. That's a lot of E.T.'s if you're right. rolleyes1.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2014
    Color. My general rule of thumb for whether or not to use B&W is if I want to force the viewer to focus on some combination of interesting directional light, lines, curves, detail. This shot doesn't have much of any of that, so the color is the story here, IMO. To me it says you were someplace beautiful and warm, perhaps tropical. Without the nice blue ocean the shot could have been taken anywhere.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.