Options

Right Click Protection

AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
edited August 13, 2014 in Bug Reporting
All of a sudden right click protection is on in folders for all gallery "thumbs" although all galleries have it off.

I'm used to right clicking these folder thumbs and getting a link but now they are RC protected.
What has Smug changed to make this happen?

Browse and two other folders are the only folder pages I can right click and get link.

Edit: Happening in all these. FFv30, IE and Chrome
Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
My Website index | My Blog

Comments

• Options
    TysaxTysax Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2014
    Hi Allen,

The RCP was enabled so faster page loads occur. This is now normal operation and was initiated about 3 weeks ago. Email us over at teh help desk if you have any additional questions:
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/emails/new
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2014
    Tysax wrote: »
    Hi Allen,

The RCP was enabled so faster page loads occur. This is now normal operation and was initiated about 3 weeks ago. Email us over at teh help desk if you have any additional questions:
    How do I turn it off. I don't want the micro second faster page load.

And why has Smug stuck in another secret change without telling us?

Put it in the folder settings so we can turn it off.

Edit: and I guess we have to accept YOUR message in the popup?
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,241 moderator
    edited June 22, 2014
    The RCP was enabled so faster page loads occur. This is now normal operation and was initiated about 3 weeks ago.
    What?!!!

I have right click protection turned off on all of my galleries. I DON'T WANT RICHT CLICK PROTECTION ON AT THE FOLDER LEVEL.

At the very least this should be a site option.
    Email us over at the help desk if you have any additional questions:
    I'm baffled. Why is it that additional questions should go to the help desk when the conversation was started in dgrin?

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    How do I turn it off. I don't want the micro second faster page load.

...Edit: and I guess we have to accept YOUR message in the popup?
    There is a customization available to change the right click message. See http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations/Gallery/Right-Click-Protection.

--- Denise
  • Options
    ShinryaShinrya Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2014
    I agree, this needs to be changed. It's seriously lame right clicking on folder links only to told off. Some people want to open in separate tabs or pages and this restricts that option.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited June 25, 2014
    Why is it that no matter where on a page I right click, the message shows up? Shouldn't the message only display if I right click on just the photo? I suppose anyone can just screen grab a shot, but how is the 100% page coverage deterring a right clicker, or helping a casual gallery guest?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2014
    David, I don't have that issue on my site, do you have a link to a page on your site that demonstrates that?
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2014
    It does this on any lightboxed page at my new site, which, unfortunately, is still sandboxed. Safari.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2014
    It's not clear where you're right clicking, do you mean that you have a photo open in the lightbox view? If that photo has right-click protection turned on, then yeah, a right-click anywhere will show the message.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2014
    Classic SM gives the RCM in both normal and lightbox view when right clicking only on the photo. New SM gives the RCM when right clicking anywhere in lightbox whether on the photo, the text below, the tools, etc. Luckily, in new SM gallery view, the RCM appears only when on the photo "thumb." I just think it is odd there is a RCM when not on the photo in lightbox.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2014
    This really needs to be corrected.

I have right click protection turned off. That setting is honored for photos in galleries and for photos on pages. It is not honored in folders.

If I turn right click protection off it should be off everywhere.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2014
    bump!

I find it interesting that /browse on my site presents the same folders that are shown on the "gallery" link in my navbar. Enter via "gallery", right click is enabled, enter via /browse, right click is disabled.

From an end user standpoint these two pages are presenting the same selections. Right click behavior should be as I specified it, off (meaning right click is allowed).

--- Denise
  • Options
    coltonoscopycoltonoscopy Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 14, 2014
    We're experiencing the same issue with our SmugMug account; we would like for users to be able to grab links from gallery folder thumbs without having to go within, as it incurs an extra step. We would certainly appreciate this "functionality" being removed, or at least made optional.
  • Options
    DavidN83DavidN83 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 19, 2014
    As a Smugmug subscriber, I find it very disappointing that I don't have the option to turn this "feature" off. It does not give my site a friendly viewing experience, and not being able to easily open galleries in new tabs is annoying. Fix this!
  • Options
    bnickesonbnickeson Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2014
    Count me in the 99% of subscribers who would like this option reverted back to...well...an option. Seems a bit ridiculous.
  • Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2014
    This really needs to be corrected.

I have right click protection turned off. That setting is honored for photos in galleries and for photos on pages. It is not honored in folders.

Thx for testing... i was going to turn that whole "protection" thing off... good to know that will not fix it.

1 year of new Smug and it still feels like using a beta release, every now and then there are new "bugs" that will make the "browsing" experience more worse (not to mention the many open bugs). rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2014
    I was horrified to find this behavior. Without realizing the change, I right clicked a folder and felt like I got punched in the gut with "we don't like you". Please undo this behavior.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2014
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    I was horrified to find this behavior. Without realizing the change, I right clicked a folder and felt like I got punched in the gut with "we don't like you". Please undo this behavior.
    What? I got punched in the gut when I viewed your site trying to see what you're talking about ... can you please elaborate? Ouch.
  • Options
    MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2014
    +1 to wishing that this was not the case and that if we have RCP turned off it would be honored at the folder level. I don't typically voice my opinion here, but this has made my smugmug sites pretty unfriendly feeling.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2014
    Andy wrote: »
    What? I got punched in the gut when I viewed your site trying to see what you're talking about ... can you please elaborate? Ouch.

In any folder, if one right-clicks a gallery, instead of getting the "open in separate tab" option, the user gets the right-click-protection message. So nothing works as it should for a standard right-click behavior. Sorry if I wasn't clear. It feels like a cement wall is between the user and my site as a result.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2014
    I don't remember but wasn't right click protection turned off when logged in? Even in a gallery with RCP on?
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    I don't remember but wasn't right click protection turned off when logged in? Even in a gallery with RCP on?

I always had RCP come up when logged in - and still do.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2014
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    In any folder, if one right-clicks a gallery, instead of getting the "open in separate tab" option, the user gets the right-click-protection message. So nothing works as it should for a standard right-click behavior. Sorry if I wasn't clear. It feels like a cement wall is between the user and my site as a result.

Chancy - you missed entirely, all my sarcasm.
    I feel compelled to post this even though you didn't ask...
    Your site could be improved.... Every page is different - try for some simplicity, and consistency. Less is more! I applaud your amount of info and all you do, but.....

(I'm not into Rats, but clearly you are a huge authority ).... but the website makes me confused more than anything... Sorry :(
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2014
    Andy wrote: »
    Chancy - you missed entirely, all my sarcasm.
    I feel compelled to post this even though you didn't ask...
    Your site could be improved.... Every page is different - try for some simplicity, and consistency. Less is more! I applaud your amount of info and all you do, but.....

(I'm not into Rats, but clearly you are a huge authority ).... but the website makes me confused more than anything... Sorry :(

As much as I'm terrified to ask any photographer for comments on my site - because I'm not a photographer, have no background in graphics, programming, or art, and so expect intensely negative or horrified reactions to my almost "anti-photography" type site - I do thank you Andy for your comments. I would be very interested in the basis for your confusion - is it just the different backgrounds on different pages? or other? As my site is probably off-topic for this thread maybe a PM would be best, if you are so inclined.
  • Options
    Mike DeepMike Deep Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2014
    I do not want right-click blocking at all. I've always had it off in all my galleries, but now it's on in folders because reasons.

Right-click blocking is insulting to visitors. It says, "I don't think there could be a legitimate use for the context menu, and I think you're too dumb to find a way around this." And worst of all, it blocks common everyday functionality like copying links or opening new tabs--in the one place you're most likely to do either, folders!
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2014
    Mike Deep wrote: »
    ... or opening new tabs--in the one place you're most likely to do either, folders!

At least with firefox you can open a folder in new tab using the middle mouse button. That still works even with that RCP on. But i agree that right-click on folders really do not need that right-click-hint.
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,455 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2014
    +1 to wishing that this was not the case and that if we have RCP turned off it would be honored at the folder level. I don't typically voice my opinion here, but this has made my smugmug sites pretty unfriendly feeling.

Me too. This is ABSOLUTELY STUPID. I DON'T WANT THE RCP ON AS DEFAULT.
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 12, 2014
    The change was made because folder pages often show quite a few galleries and checking whether or not right click protection was enabled for each and every thumbnail made up a huge portion of the time it took for the page to load.

We're looking at ways to maintain the speed while still making sure images are properly protected. We think we have a potential solution, but we're still investigating. Thanks for the feedback.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2014
    Sheaf wrote: »
    The change was made because folder pages often show quite a few galleries and checking whether or not right click protection was enabled for each and every thumbnail made up a huge portion of the time it took for the page to load.

We're looking at ways to maintain the speed while still making sure images are properly protected. We think we have a potential solution, but we're still investigating. Thanks for the feedback.

Well... why check for folder or galleries to be RCP at all? In most cases the thumbnails are that small that no one would like to "steel" them. Speed should be better if that feature is simply being turned off for folders and galleries and only enabled by user for gallery content. Just a guess...

Looking forward to your solution, hopefully it will respect the settings for photos, so if i don't want the RCM to appear for photos it should also not appear for folders and galleries. If that is possible i will completely turn it off, if not i will use the new RCM-settings in the account settings to create a propper message.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2014
    phaserbeam wrote: »
    Well... why check for folder or galleries to be RCP at all? In most cases the thumbnails are that small that no one would like to "steel" them. Speed should be better if that feature is simply being turned off for folders and galleries and only enabled by user for gallery content. Just a guess...
    Folder / gallery tiles are no longer thumbnail size with the New SmugMug. Size starts at small and goes up to X2 large:
    20140813103332-00873x3210233.jpg

Besides, there are also users that actually watermark their thumb size (which is smaller than 'small'). I've also seen users that wanted to watermark the TINY size, which isn't something we currently offer.

So if we'd suddenly be removing the right click option on folder and gallery tiles, there'd be an outcry a lot security conscious users very concerned with their photos getting stolen and used all over Facebook etc.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero