Options

Bulk-editing tool replacement now available for beta-testing

thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
edited May 28, 2015 in SmugMug Customization
[strike]I have recreated the old bulk-editing tool in my Unofficial SmugMug Extension for Chrome (Beta Version). It is currently suitable for beta-testing only, on galleries of photos you have uploaded for testing purposes.[/strike]

This new tool is now available as a final release, you can get it here:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=247592

Comments

• Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2014
    Looks good! After I save my changes, how do I get back to my gallery?

Edit: Got it, I just return to and refresh the gallery page I started from, as the edit opened up in its own tab. Could you make that the next (adjacent) tab rather than adding one at the end of the string? This is great!
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2014
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2014
    We crossed in the ether!
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2014
    I suspect I don't get to control where that tab opens up in the tab order. Would it be better for the bulk edit tool to just load in the same tab as the original gallery (and provide a "return to gallery" link)?
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2014
    Oh so excited to try this... but thwarted...

This morning I uninstalled the extension, reinstalled it "just because"...
    I see 3.5, that on the home page the SM is inside the URL...
    but the SM disappears when I go to any gallery.
    Version 36.0.1985.32 beta-m

I have kind of liked it opening a new tab... (when I used it yesterday).

EDIT: I did re-start Chrome to see if that made a difference (no).
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2014
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Oh so excited to try this... but thwarted...

This morning I uninstalled the extension, reinstalled it "just because"...
    I see 3.5, that on the home page the SM is inside the URL...
    but the SM disappears when I go to any gallery.
    Version 36.0.1985.32 beta-m

I have kind of liked it opening a new tab... (when I used it yesterday).

EDIT: I did re-start Chrome to see if that made a difference (no).
    In the tools > extensions
    I see both versions. Enabled only one. Looks like you might have 0.3.5 enabled.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    In the tools > extensions
    I see both versions. Enabled only one. Looks like you might have 0.3.5 enabled.

I see only one, the 3.5. Uninstalled it, re-started chrome, reinstalled from Chrome webstore, it's still 3.5.
    It shows 3.5 on the store as well.
    Maybe thwarted because I'm using Chrome beta?
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2014
    I see only one, the 3.5. Uninstalled it, re-started chrome, reinstalled from Chrome webstore, it's still 3.5.
    It shows 3.5 on the store as well.
    Maybe thwarted because I'm using Chrome beta?
    It took quite a bit of looking but I finally found the beta version to install so both installed here. Only
    one can be enabled a time.
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2014
    It took quite a bit of looking but I finally found the beta version to install so both installed here. Only
    one can be enabled a time.

Quite a bit of looking where? I looked for any other extensions on Chrome, could find none. And the Chrome store only has one to download... :cry headscratch.gif :cry
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2014
    Beta link in post #1
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2014
    Beta link in post #1

OHHHHH. It's not found via Chrome store search. THANKS.
  • Options
    raebrownraebrown Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2014
    Just used the tool to update an old album to make use of the new Title field on the New Smugmug. Works great but you must refresh the album page to see the changes. I'd been avoiding these changes until the bulk editing tool included the Title field. Will be very busy with this new tool...thanks Nicholas! thumb.gif
    Rae
    Tickled Pixels

Tickled Pixels Blog: "
    A walk in Gamla stan, the old town of Stockholm"
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2014
    I suspect I don't get to control where that tab opens up in the tab order. Would it be better for the bulk edit tool to just load in the same tab as the original gallery (and provide a "return to gallery" link)?
    No, I don't think so - it's a very minor issue in the overall scheme of things.
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2014
    Just now starting exploring in a test gallery (took your warning seriously)....
    THANKS again!
    Okay... Can't post images of this behavior so will try to explain well:

- I resized the first caption field smaller, hoping to make room for more space for a bigger keyword caption field. That didn't work to change the keyword field.
    - So I widened the keyword field. It "disappeared" under the right vertical bar of options. To compensate I made the browser much bigger which gave me more white space and then I was able to widen the keyword field but see the entire field.
    - Then played with the caption field I had first made smaller, intending to size it larger, back to where it had been, size-wise. Instead of putting it back to the same size as the other caption fields below it in the line-up, it:
    (a) resized but
    (b) caused all the other caption fields in the column to resize as well, larger, which
    (c) then also moved the entire keyword column off to the right, out of view, as the largest caption pushed it.
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2014
    The difference between compact and normal, on my 24-inch monitor, is to change 5 thumbnails to 4. The compact thumbnails could perhaps be reduced by 30% and still be fnuctional, if that would allow 7 thumbnails?
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2014
    Just now starting exploring in a test gallery (took your warning seriously)....
    THANKS again!
    Okay... Can't post images of this behavior so will try to explain well:

- I resized the first caption field smaller, hoping to make room for more space for a bigger keyword caption field. That didn't work to change the keyword field.
    - So I widened the keyword field. It "disappeared" under the right vertical bar of options. To compensate I made the browser much bigger which gave me more white space and then I was able to widen the keyword field but see the entire field.
    - Then played with the caption field I had first made smaller, intending to size it larger, back to where it had been, size-wise. Instead of putting it back to the same size as the other caption fields below it in the line-up, it:
    (a) resized but
    (b) caused all the other caption fields in the column to resize as well, larger, which
    (c) then also moved the entire keyword column off to the right, out of view, as the largest caption pushed it.

Okay... 2nd test (started over with the entire experiment), I merely resized the keyword field without first touching the caption field, and instead of resizing to the right off and out of sight under the right hand column, the title and caption fields resized smaller. That was nice behavior for my purposes, but it's not what happened in my first test.
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2014
    Okay...
    Are you looking at the page that looks like the legacy bulk edit page?
    I can resize either caption or keyword boxes and they just go off to the right still completely visible.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2014
    1. editing text which included the semi that was followed by the first word of a multi-word keyword, worked perfectly
    2. to create my test keywords in the first place I used the legacy tool. One behavior there is that if you add a keyword to a list of keywords, no semi is added following it. WOW, adding a keyword properly added the semi preceding the new keyword.
    3. I am not really sure which delimiter one is supposed to use for keywords, I have just used semis. Tried adding one multi-word keyword with double quotes, and the system did fine: added the needed preceding semi and stripped the quotes
    4. Deleted just the last word of a multi-word keyword (hereafter: mwkw) where the mwkw is in the middle of a bunch of mwkws and single kws: Did great, although there was a space after the new last word, between it and the semi. After I saved, that space was removed.
    5. replacing or inserting text that includes two spaces (basically a typo), does insert both spaces. Replacing 2 spaces with 1 space, works.
    6. replaced: dog; wild
    out of this string: good dog; wild cat;
    with: dogs; tame
    Did good!

Have to stop, this was amazing for a first go-round.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2014
    Are you looking at the page that looks like the legacy bulk edit page?
    I can resize either caption or keyword boxes and they just go off to the right still completely visible.

No, I'm testing Nicholas' beta.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2014
    No, I'm testing Nicholas' beta.

Just figured out you are also talking about the beta?
    I think the fields are doing different behaviors depending on what you tweak and in which order. I can't explain why I got different behaviors except for that.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2014
    Just figured out you are also talking about the beta?
    I think the fields are doing different behaviors depending on what you tweak and in which order. I can't explain why I got different behaviors except for that.

And maybe resizing the browser affects the behaviors of the fields?
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2014
    Allen, you could try a test. With a browser window open to about 12-13 inches wide, do these in this order:

- I resized the first caption field smaller, hoping to make room for more space for a bigger keyword field. That didn't work to change the keyword field.
    - So I widened the keyword field out, intending to move it past the right side bar area. It "disappeared" under the right vertical bar of options. To compensate I made the browser much bigger which gave me more white space and then I was able to widen the keyword field AND see the entire field.
    - Then played with the caption field I had first made smaller, intending to size it larger, back to where it had been, size-wise.

Does this then happen for you:
    (a) the caption field does resize but
    (b) it caused all the other caption fields in the column to resize as well, larger, which
    (c) then also moves the entire keyword column off to the right, out of view, as the largest caption pushed it.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2014
    I independently resized caption and KW of one photo. Nothing happened on any other photo.
    Widening caption edit box it pushed KW edit box out to browser scroll bar and under it. Again only this photo.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2014
    Yeah the text boxes are not resizable by intention, that is a special feature supported by some web browsers (including Chrome). I might be able to add resizing handles to the columns.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2014
    Guess I'm confused now, I will occasionally stretch a caption box of larger captions one at a time to see
    it all and how it formats/line breaks. Then unresize it. For my personal use I see no need to affect any
    other box.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2014
    Oh yup, in that case I'll switch things up to make the rows independent, so resizing one doesn't mess up all the others.

EDIT: By the way, do you think there would be a use-case for saving a backup of the current details to your computer, and being able to load that into the editor? Or would that mostly be useful as part of a different tool (perhaps a sitewide backup system as a companion to the customisation backup)?
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2014
    Oh yup, in that case I'll switch things up to make the rows independent, so resizing one doesn't mess up all the others.
    Already works that way here. Only one row is affected resizing.

Oops, beta does affected all rows.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2014
    Noticed that you are using the current "cropped thumb". This only shows the main object of a photo and
    some photos have much more content. Most of the time everything in the photo is used for creation of a
    caption and keywords. Any chance of using a small original ratio of the photo?
    Here's one example of thumb focus with other content, see caption and KW.
    http://www.photosbyat.com/Birds/2014-Birding/Birding-2014-May/2014-05-04-Wilsons-Plover/i-hssVxkR

Of course, the legacy bulk had this same problem. :D
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2014
    Yeah that's possible. In that case, would the displayed thumbnail size need to be larger too to fit everything in? I could introduce a jumbo row size.

One issue with using Small images is that the file sizes (and loading times) jump up a lot, I'll have to try it.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2014
    By the way, do you think there would be a use-case for saving a backup of the current details to your computer, and being able to load that into the editor? Or would that mostly be useful as part of a different tool (perhaps a sitewide backup system as a companion to the customisation backup)?

What does this mean and refer to? What are the "current details"?