Options

Google Analytics - Huge Discrepancies

AperturePlusAperturePlus Registered Users Posts: 374 Major grins
edited March 31, 2014 in SmugMug Support
I have read numerous posts about this and have not understood, so please would someone help and explain this to me.

If I look at stats here on SM on one particular day, I see that I had 1183 visits and the following day I had 125.

i-GRG5SSZ.jpg

If I look at the same date range on Google Analytics, it says that I had 0 on the first day and 3 on the second.

i-hm9sqWg.jpg

How can there be such a massive difference and what do I believe, or - do I have something set incorrectly in GA?

Thanks for the help
Clive

Comments

• Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2014
    I seem to recall that the SM stats don't represent actual visitors, but how many times your images appear on a page some where. Say I open a gallery of collage landscape images, each image is credited with one view. If you link images to other sites, each time that page is opened that image gets one view. For instance, me looking at this thread just gave those two screen shots each one view. So if GA says you had zero visitors, but your images were viewed over 1,000 times, they must be being seen elsewhere, such as embedded on other pages, in image searches, on social media, etc.

At least, that's how I understand it to work.
  • Options
    AperturePlusAperturePlus Registered Users Posts: 374 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2014
    None of these images have been shared on social media.

I know that when viewing a gallery with multiple images, that those multiple images translate into viewed stats, but even with 1183 views indicated on SM, that should equate to some views on GA. GA indicates 0 views!!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited March 31, 2014
    Why not match the views with referrers for the same date range?

I'm guessing you'll see any number of search engines (Google, Bing, Baidu, Yahoo, ...) and perhaps links to places you might not have expected.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?