Options

body part

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited December 23, 2005 in Holy Macro
It was another long work day, and I had little energy for my daily photo. So I did as I usually do, sulked around the house, camera in hand... hand...

hey, a hand picture!

48974639-L.jpg

I think I ended up butchering it a bit in post, but here's the thing, stare at it for a while...

Looks kinda weird, doesn't it? I mean, once you get past "it's a fist", there's the folds, the wrinkles, the positie space, the negative space. I guess maybe its been a long day.

How 'bout the vignetting on that lens? :rolleyes

And yes, I was having one of those "I don't post enough photos" moments :lol3
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    Uhm.... yeah...... right!!!
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    Definately needs a little face drawn on it :D
    Brian V.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,187 moderator
    edited December 20, 2005
    Señor Wences and Pedro would be proud. thumb.gif Anyone under 50 would have no Idea what I just said.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    Hey I love hands. They totally have the best shapes. You can tell alot about a person by their hands.

I have an idea for a whole series on hands...I like the txture on this.
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Señor Wences and Pedro would be proud. thumb.gif Anyone under 50 would have no Idea what I just said.
    Enlighten us. ear.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 20, 2005
    rahmonster wrote:
    I have an idea for a whole series on hands...I like the txture on this.
    Get it going!

and thanks, I was going for a highly textured old dirty kind of look, but it was late, fast, and low effort. I may start a daily photo hands week and do some reshooting with my prime to get more detail, and less vignetting. umph.gif
    Erik

• Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    rahmonster wrote:
    You can tell alot about a person by their hands.

So, what do you think of Erik then? ear.gif
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    INTERESTING....and I like it. nod.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    Kinda looks like Jennifer Lopez to me! rolleyes1.gif
    Chris
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    Hey....... I've got one of those
    DoctorIt wrote:
    It was another long work day, and I had little energy for my daily photo. So I did as I usually do, sulked around the house, camera in hand... hand...

hey, a hand picture!

I think I ended up butchering it a bit in post, but here's the thing, stare at it for a while...

Looks kinda weird, doesn't it? I mean, once you get past "it's a fist", there's the folds, the wrinkles, the positie space, the negative space. I guess maybe its been a long day.

How 'bout the vignetting on that lens? rolleyes1.gif

And yes, I was having one of those "I don't post enough photos" moments lol3.gif

Ohhhhh wow you got a hand too..........man I thought I was the only one who had a pair of those hanging around rolleyes1.gif do yours sorta slap themselves on the bench at work every now and then ?? mine do eek7.gif and when they do the other people in the office jump .... I dunno why ne_nau.gif but it really is a lot of fun when that happens blbl.gif :lol4 Skippy mwink.gif
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,187 moderator
    edited December 20, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Enlighten us. ear.gif

Senor Wences was famous for doing a ventriloquist act using only his fist, which he decorated with painted eyes and lipstick around the thumb. Pedro. Pedro was also dressed up below his fist. Most of Mr. Wences' popularity in the states came from his appearances on the Ed Sullivan show.

He passed away a number of years ago at the age of 103.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Senor Wences was famous for doing a ventriloquist act using only his fist, which he decorated with painted eyes and lipstick around the thumb. Pedro. Pedro was also dressed up below his fist. Most of Mr. Wences' popularity in the states came from his appearances on the Ed Sullivan show.

Cool, thanks David!
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 20, 2005
    so I tried to improve on this tonight, and don't think I did much better. probably better quality as I used my 50/1.8.

49070491-L.jpg

lets make this constructive, how can I make this a better shot? Or rather a better hand shot in general. Is it lighting? exposure? suggestions
    ear.gif

I want to focus on just the hand and really bring out texture.
    Erik

• Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2005
    lets make this constructive, how can I make this a better shot? Or rather a better hand shot in general. Is it lighting? exposure? suggestionsear.gif

rolleyes1.gif ok, i'll bite.

it appears to me to be good focus and lighting and all that jazz. just the thing that sticks out to me is your middle fingernail is out of focus.
    *only flaw*
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    AndymanAndyman Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2005
    While we're on hands... here's a couple I took of my hands this weekend. They don't come completely clean really; this is after they've been washed several times.

myhands.jpg

I hope you don't mind, DoctorIt. Just say so if you do. I thought maybe these would be useful (though I don't know about better) examples of pictures of hands.

You should take more pictures of your hands. My advice would be to take lots and lots. You could try making sign language symbols, or making shapes with them, or putting 'em under water, or through ice or glass, or on a mirror, or with objects in your hands, etc. Try different lighting also - silohuettes (or however it's spelled O=) ), from the bottom, the top, both sides... everywhere! Hands are useful and can be interesting.
    Nikon D50
    Tamron AF18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD
    Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical
    Nikon 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
    Nikon SB-800 Speedlight
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2005
    DanielB wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif ok, i'll bite.

it appears to me to be good focus and lighting and all that jazz. just the thing that sticks out to me is your middle fingernail is out of focus.
    *only flaw*
    shallow dof. thanks for biting, but I knew that shot wasn't perfect. DOF is easy to fix, I was looking for something I was missing. I know, instead, give it a shot yourself...

and i don't get it, besides the jlo thing, whats so funny?
    ne_nau.gif

Come on funny guys, I'm serious, this would make a good thread if we started building up a collection. Maybe we could learn something. I have envisioned some great black and whites that look almost Escher-esque.

Remember Shakey's dirty challenge winner? Now that was a great hand.
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 21, 2005
    Andyman wrote:
    I hope you don't mind, DoctorIt. Just say so if you do. I thought maybe these would be useful (though I don't know about better) examples of pictures of hands.
    I don't mind at all, in fact your shots pointed something out. I think a darker background will work much better.
    nod.gif
    Erik

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:

Hey, I'm 42 and I know exactly what you're talking about.

He was a ventriloquist whose puppet was his hand with eyes and a nose drawn on it.

'sright!!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited December 21, 2005
    Hey Andyman, you need some of this stuff. nod.gif

cgoj8793.jpg
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2005
    Here's my take on it:
    49155896-L.jpg

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:

'sright!

He occupies the same memory space as Charo and Laugh-In.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2005
    Here's my take on it:

Sebastian
    Nice one, Sebastien! Definitely looks like the dark bacground is the ticket.
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 21, 2005
    kdog wrote:
    Hey Andyman, you need some of this stuff. nod.gif

Yeah I used that, actually. We've got some on the truck; still dirty hands though. I'm sure if I didn't work for a few days it would fade, but getting them dirty again and again makes it stay. I don't mind. It won't kill me and it makes it at least look like I've been working =p.

Orange is great stuff, huh?

@DoctorIt: Yeah! Escher has some really neat stuff.
    Nikon D50
    Nikon SB-800 Speedlight
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    so I tried to improve on this tonight, and don't think I did much better. probably better quality as I used my 50/1.8.

49070491-L.jpg

lets make this constructive, how can I make this a better shot? Or rather a better hand shot in general. Is it lighting? exposure? suggestions
    ear.gif

I want to focus on just the hand and really bring out texture.

Some how I think the hand must be doing something. Grasping petting holding, clenching ...functioning.
    Hands have body language and a photo has to capture this in some way.
    Most hand shots that I like are black and white( Why I do not know)
    An elegant hand must (IMO) be holding or doing something elegant.
    A rugged hand doing something similar, or have a complete contrast . Like large and small, black and white. This is what I envision.
    Hands are so much part of our language,we take it for granted,as a means of expression it strikes primitive chords.

Kinda tired right now so I will think and reflect on this.

Good thread topic

Tim
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2005
    Shakey wrote:
    Kinda tired right now so I will think and reflect on this.

Good thread topic

Tim
    Thanks!

ear.gif
    Erik

• Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    Erik I might get the hand thing going after the holiday season. It was a idea I toyed with in my art photography class and never got around to....Like portraits but with a persons hands not their faces. Also trying some abstracty ones with fingers overlapping in macros etc...It may well be a dud idea but I won't know till I tryheadscratch.gif

But this thread has now got me started thinking about it again.:D
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    Andyman wrote:
    Yeah I used that, actually. We've got some on the truck; still dirty hands though. I'm sure if I didn't work for a few days it would fade, but getting them dirty again and again makes it stay. I don't mind. It won't kill me and it makes it at least look like I've been working =p.

Orange is great stuff, huh?

@DoctorIt: Yeah! Escher has some really neat stuff.
    So what do you do with your hands? Looks like either a mechanic or a printer. I'm a printer (pressman) on a 4 color 26 inch Heidelberg. My hands look like that.
    See with your Heart
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2005
    Is it neat working with those machines? Or, would it be if you weren't used to it? I looked 'em up online to know what Heidelbergs were exactly =).

I'm an electrician, actually. Well, I only started four months ago; but I like it so far. Some people look at electricians as people who just run wire and don't work as hard as say, a concrete man or carpenter, but you might be surprised. We do everything from digging trenches in the rain, cutting asphalt, and laying pipe to installing parking lot lights 'n poles, running wire to transformers, installing receptacles, running wires inside, etc. I like having a variety of things we might do on a given day; rather than doing the same thing over and over each day. Two jobs we've been working at now (Jon and I, a guy I work with most days) is a Friendlys restaurant remodel (such an awful job - horrible planning on the owner's part made it a nightmare - the blueprints weren't right to begin with. Then we got new ones, and they weren't right either, etc. We're almost done there though); and we're wiring a Nissei ELJECT machine (like a $170,000 machine) in a plastics factory by SouthCo.

Not that you asked for all that information, but... O=). One of these days I plan on posting some pictures I took at work.
    Nikon D50
    Nikon SB-800 Speedlight