Options

Keyword weirdness (catastrophic)

AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
edited April 1, 2014 in Bug Reporting
I found this this morning. Keywords seem to be mess up. I have not touched these KW's is years.

Seen under NewSmug photo (logged in)
mingo national wildlife refuge autumn mingo missouri parks missouri landscapes

Showing in IE (logged out legacy)
keywords: [Indexing: mingo national wildlife refuge autumn mingo missouri parks missouri landscapes]

NewSmug edit photo details (only one ;)
mingo national wildlife refuge autumn mingo; missouri parks missouri landscapes

Should be - Missing four ;
mingo national wildlife refuge; autumn; mingo; missouri parks; missouri; landscapes;

The whole keyword gallery of 49 photos are like this.
NewSmug unveiled logged in
http://www.photosbyat.com/keyword/mingo+national+wildlife+refuge/i-HKNNgqR
IE legacy Logged out
http://www.photosbyat.com/keyword/mingo%20national%20wildlife%20refuge

In process of fixing these
Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
My Website index | My Blog

Comments

• Options
    edited January 26, 2014
    Another example of different gallery
    This gallery legacy (logged in Firefox)
    http://www.photosbyat.com/MissouriParks/Mingo-National-Wildlife-Refuge/952039_NC5nTK#!i=43867856&k=RBPgDpX

See this below photo
    keywords: [Indexing: mingo national wildlife refuge autumn mingo missouri parks missouri landscapes]· Edit

Open Edit keyword box - lost all commas and semi-colons.
    "mingo national wildlife refuge" autumn mingo "missouri parks" missouri landscapes

NewSmug under photo
    should be

I see this in a lot of old galleries.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited January 27, 2014
    This just happened on my site too.

Yesterday my keywords were fine using the feed hack.

Today all keywords for a single photo have been mashed together - where there should be multiple keywords there is now one massive photo. This looks to be a problem with the feed as opposed to using the standard keywords.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    This just happened on my site too.

Yesterday my keywords were fine using the feed hack.

Today all keywords for a single photo have been mashed together - where there should be multiple keywords there is now one massive photo. This looks to be a problem with the feed as opposed to using the standard keywords.

--- Denise
    Is this from that show-all KW hack? Just checked mine and hasn't happened yet. Perhaps the cache of
    the hack server has not been updated for mine yet.

On your /keyword page looks like all the semi-colons were discarded.
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    Is this from that show-all KW hack? Just checked mine and hasn't happened yet. Perhaps the cache of
    the hack server has not been updated for mine yet.

On your /keyword page looks like all the semi-colons were discarded.
    Yes.

It does look like the semi-colons were discarded, but I don't believe they were. If you click on any of the "keywords" that are mashed in together you get a no photos found. So I suspect it's in that feed. It's unfortunate because that moves me back to the "only 255 keywords showing" state which again makes the keywords unusable.

I'll leave it in right now but I'll probably move it to an unlisted page later today, will add a link for Lamah to look at - but as it is right now it needs to be removed.

I've reverted /keyword to the standard page.

You can see the problem on my site at http://www.denisegoldberg.com/Find/n-FbVg7.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    Yes.

It does look like the semi-colons were discarded, but I don't believe they were. If you click on any of the "keywords" that are mashed in together you get a no photos found. So I suspect it's in that feed. It's unfortunate because that moves me back to the "only 255 keywords showing" state which again makes the keywords unusable.

I'll leave it in right now but I'll probably move it to an unlisted page later today, will add a link for Lamah to look at - but as it is right now it needs to be removed.

--- Denise
    What do you see here for the KW's?
    http://www.photosbyat.com/keyword/mingo+national+wildlife+refuge#!i=43867856&k=RBPgDpX

This is what I see
    keywords: [Indexing: mingo national wildlife refuge autumn mingo missouri parks missouri landscapes]· Edit

Edit shows this, no ;
    "mingo national wildlife refuge" autumn mingo "missouri parks" missouri landscapes

NewSmug shows this

Edit box
    mingo national wildlife refuge autumn mingo; missouri parks missouri landscapes
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    Just checked my smart gallery and in smart rules typing mingo only shows the correct two in the drop. So this doesn't show.
    mingo national wildlife refuge autumn mingo
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    I have 20 galleries in this category and all but one gallery the keywords are messed up. All show indexing
    one long keyword with the semicolons missing. Looking into the "edit keyword" no ;'s are shown.
    http://www.photosbyat.com/MissouriParks

What's up Smugmug? All semi-colons are being removed.
    This is a massive bug.

Years of work is down the drain.
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    Update of my last post. Almost every keyword I used a comma and not a semicolon. This was the way that
    multiple KW's were separated back then. So it might be them and not semi-colons that are being removed.

I need to check later years.

Looks like the NewSite KW's have indexed with the removed separators leaving one long single keyword.
    Legacy site is still indexing.

It's affected my infrared, travel, macro galleries so far.
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    I now have all these showing on the Legacy keyword page. The two red ones are correct.

mingomingo national wildlife refuge • mingo national wildlife refuge animals mingo •
    mingo national wildlife refuge autumn animals mingo • mingo national wildlife refuge autumn animals mingo snakes •
    mingo national wildlife refuge autumn bugs • mingo national wildlife refuge autumn mingo •
    mingo national wildlife refuge autumn mingo animals • mingo national wildlife refuge autumn mingo fungus •
    autumn mingo • autumn mingo national wildlife refuge autumn mingo

missouri parks • missouri parks missouri • missouri parks missouri landscapes •
    missouri parks missouri turtles
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    Keywords there look good to me. First photo shows:
    • autumn
    • herons
    • mingo
    • mingo national wildlife refuge
    • missouri parks
    --- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    Keywords there look good to me. First photo shows:
    • autumn
    • herons
    • mingo
    • mingo national wildlife refuge
    • missouri parks
    --- Denise
    I had fixed about half of that gallery. So you might see the fixed ones.
    Edit: that is one of the fixed ones and looks ok

1st in gallery (legacy)
    http://www.photosbyat.com/MissouriParks/Mingo-National-Wildlife-Refuge/952039_NC5nTK#!i=43862014&k=6rxcmgb
    two KW's should be five (IE logged out)
    keywords: missouri parks missouri turtles mingo national wildlife refuge autumn mingo animals
    1st in NewSmug gallery, same photo (logged in)
    mingo national wildlife refuge autumn mingo animals missouri parks missouri turtles
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    I had fixed about half of that gallery. So you might see the fixed ones.

1st in gallery (legacy)
    http://www.photosbyat.com/MissouriParks/Mingo-National-Wildlife-Refuge/952039_NC5nTK#!i=43862014&k=6rxcmgb
    two KW's should be five (IE logged out)
    keywords: missouri parks missouri turtles mingo national wildlife refuge autumn mingo animals
    Yup, that's broken.

Very interesting that the problem I described on my site only seems to be related to the more than 255 keyword hack. Every concatenated keyword I click that's presented from that feed takes me to a "no images found". The non-concatenated keywords still seem to be working properly.

The symptoms on your site are much more serious, definitely a big problem.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    The symptoms on your site are much more serious, definitely a big problem.

--- Denise
    19 of my 20 Parks galleries are messed up plus infrared, travel, macro galleries.
    At least most of them are still indexing on Legacy.
    http://www.photosbyat.com/MissouriParks
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    The best I can tell is they are removing commas that are separating keywords. Checked a bunch
    of galleries and it looks like old galleries where commas were used as separators. Have not found
    a gallery that semicolons were used that has messed up yet.
  • Options
    pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2014
    The best I can tell is they are removing commas that are separating keywords. Checked a bunch
    of galleries and it looks like old galleries where commas were used as separators. Have not found
    a gallery that semicolons were used that has messed up yet.

Allen, have you reported the problem directly to the help desk yet?
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    pbandj wrote: »
    Allen, have you reported the problem directly to the help desk yet?
    Yes, four replies back and forth with whoever was on the help desk which didn't have a clue so said
    they would pass it on. Couldn't even see the problem looking at the site.

Looks like all the separators were removed from the keywords. I think it's only if you used commas
    instead of semicolons. These are mainly older galleries where comma usage was the norm then.

Found in edit KW box.
    autumn "alley spring state park" "missouri parks" "missouri state parks" springs mills missouri landscapes

This showing as indexing that long combined KW.
    keywords: autumn [Indexing: alley spring state park missouri parks missouri state parks springs mills missouri landscapes]· Edit
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 29, 2014
    Allen,

This isn't a bug, we are no longer supporting space separated keyword strings.

Please use commas or semi-colons.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2014
    devbobo wrote: »

Unfortunately in changing the rules while there were space separated keyword strings on some of our sites, galleries that were keyworded nicely (before the recent change in this) turned into galleries of photos with keywords combined into one word. I spent a number of hours in the bulk keyword tool fixing the suddenly garbage'd sets of keywords. I believe I've fixed them all at this point.

I would be very surprised if Allen and I are the only people who encounter this.

I found that the problem sets of keywords were in galleries from 2009 and earlier.
    I don't know if Allen saw a similar pattern.

--- Denise
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2014
    Could someone elaborate, does this "we are no longer supporting space separated keyword strings" mean this is no longer allowed:

picnics in the park; roses; forests of california;

or that this is not allowed:

picnics in the park, roses, forests of california,

I'm not understand what a "space separated keyword string is", it sounds like any multi-word keyword is not allowed?
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2014
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    I'm not understand what a "space separated keyword string is", it sounds like any multi-word keyword is not allowed?
    multi-word keywords are supported - they need to be separated by either commas or semicolons.

In other words, the set of words between commas or semicolons is a keyword.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2014
    Thanks Denise. But - how did anyone ever separate a key word string with spaces? That would never have worked, correct? E.g.:

picnics in the park roses forests of california

Okay, I know, please provide an example of the format that is no longer allowed.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2014
    Thanks Denise. But - how did anyone ever separate a key word string with spaces? That would never have worked, correct? E.g.:

picnics in the park roses forests of california

Okay, I know, please provide an example of the format that is no longer allowed.
    Thanks.
    They were quoted strings separated with spaces:
    "picnics in the park" roses "forests of california"
    Up until earlier this week those were 3 keywords. After the change they were re-indexed as one keyword with all of the words together.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2014
    rolleyes1.gif
    Me, I translate that to "double-quote-separated strings are no longer permitted".

I'm also afraid to go looking because I probably have a bunch. :cry
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2014
    rolleyes1.gif
    Me, I translate that to "double-quote-separated strings are no longer permitted".

I'm also afraid to go looking because I probably have a bunch. :cry
    The interesting thing was that the screwed up keywords showed in Lamah's more than 255 keywords hack but not on the official keyword page. If I hadn't had the hack installed (plus I saw this thread) I'm not sure I would have realized that there was a problem.

I just looked at your keyword page and it appears you have some of these very long keywords too. Probably best to check.

You probably also want to change the display on that page to fluid as a change made recently changed feed content elements to a fixed (somewhat narrow) width.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2014
    The interesting thing was that the screwed up keywords showed in Lamah's more than 255 keywords hack but not on the official keyword page. If I hadn't had the hack installed (plus I saw this thread) I'm not sure I would have realized that there was a problem.

I just looked at your keyword page and it appears you have some of these very long keywords too. Probably best to check.

You probably also want to change the display on that page to fluid as a change made recently changed feed content elements to a fixed (somewhat narrow) width.

--- Denise

Hmm, I had noticed the narrow column of keywords, hadn't understood why... but nothing I do fixes it. I set the layout to 1500 px and I see the block container is 1500 px, but the width of the column remains something like 250-300 px. What is the trick to fix this?
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2014
    Hmm, I had noticed the narrow column of keywords, hadn't understood why... but nothing I do fixes it. I set the layout to 1500 px and I see the block container is 1500 px, but the width of the column remains something like 250-300 px. What is the trick to fix this?
    Open the feed element and click the Display tab. Change Width Type to Fluid.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2014
    Ah, thanks. I went a little nuts and added 4 vertical images on the right side. Denise would you be kind enough to click the link and tell me (because I don't know how to tell these things) if the size of the images causes a page load problem? I understand if you pass on this, it's completely off-topic.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2014
    Ah, thanks. I went a little nuts and added 4 vertical images on the right side. Denise would you be kind enough to click the link and tell me (because I don't know how to tell these things) if the size of the images causes a page load problem? I understand if you pass on this, it's completely off-topic.
    The images load first, then the keywords. I don't think the images add anything to the page (other than to relieve the masses of words).

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2014
    The images load first, then the keywords. I don't think the images add anything to the page (other than to relieve the masses of words).

--- Denise

You are SO great. I have to remember if I ask a photographer something about an image, I'm likely opening a can of yummy worms. :D you know, in terms of design, etc.
    I was mainly concerned about page-loading slow downs, which it sounds like there is a little bit of that. Not sure what it would mean to a slow machine, however. Thanks VERY much. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2014
    devbobo wrote: »
    Allen,

Cheers,

David
    You are right, this is not a bug. Smugmug intentionally DESTROYED every multi-keyword
    that was separated with a comma which was how we were instructed to do it by Smugmug. They
    could at least have searched and replaced every comma with a semicolon. Maybe part of the indexing code.

Notice how they removed all the commas? Should be five in this but all gone.

I've spent hours trying to find and fix them all. If one had unveiled it would be impossible to find bad
    keywords because Smugmug REFUSES to give us a list of all keywords.