Options

Full Moon Coming up!

dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
edited December 29, 2004 in Wildlife
Let's see your moon shots! Full moon is Monday August 30th.

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 25, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    Let's see your moon shots! Full moon is Monday August 30th.
    Slightly ahead of schedule....:D

3258135-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Slightly ahead of schedule....:D

3258135-S.jpg

Neat shot, Pathfinder. Did you have your camera mounted on a telescope? My husband has a great telescope. Maybe should try this. How is it done?
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2004
    Have we seen that one before, PF? It's excellent, a perfect exposure. Until reading about it here, I hadn't realized how difficult it was to shoot the moon. As it were.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Neat shot, Pathfinder. Did you have your camera mounted on a telescope? My husband has a great telescope. Maybe should try this. How is it done?
    It was shot from a standard tripod with a telephoto lens. Since the moon is a sunlit object. it is exposed like any other earthbound sunlit object - with the sunny f16 rule --- or --- 1/ISO at f16 for a fulll front lit sun lit object.

From the EXIF data for this image = ISO 100, 1/500sec f5.6 which is the same as 1/250 at f8 or 1/125 at f11. Apparently I opened up one full stop for better exposure when I shot this last APril.

This was shot RAW in my 10D. Actually in processing the RAW file I gave an additional 2 stops of exposure without burning out the highlights. SO I would suggest starting with the sunny f/16 rule, but would bracket 2 stops at least from there .

As for needing an astrotelescope, you do not need a motor driven telescope mount unless your exposures are longer than 5-10 seconds for exposures of the moon.

• Options
    RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2004
    Great shot, clap.gif I’m SO jealous! Wish my little digital had that resolution, tried a few with my new Oylmpus C740, but with only 3.2 MegP. can't get that amount of detail. Though now that I've read up a little on digital ISO I think I'll have try another one and set the C740 manually to 100 and see if that helps.
    Your shot reminds me of my shots with my old Nikon FTn using an 8 inch Newtonian at prime focus, at 1200mm makes a great long focal length lens and as you mention no need for any type of guiding as the moon is a sunlit object. Guess a digital SLR will have to be my next photographic purchase.

half-moon.jpg
    RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2004
    7834248-L.jpg
  • Options
    gottagotta Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2004
    Here's a shot through my telescope a few nights ago.
  • Options
    gottagotta Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2004
    And here's one from last year, a little closer in.

Regards, Eric
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2004
    Pathfinder, what size lens did you use?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Pathfinder, what size lens did you use?
    That was shot with a 300mm and a 2x telextender last April. Cool, dry air helps a lot.. I hope to shoot some more this weekend if I am not shut out by clouds. It is not looking too good here right now:cry

• Options
    edited August 28, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    That was shot with a 300mm and a 2x telextender last April. Cool, dry air helps a lot.. I hope to shoot some more this weekend if I am not shut out by clouds. It is not looking too good here right now:cry

Nor here. Thanks for the info. The best I can manage is 300.
    Sid.
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2004
    Cloud break in the UK...
    F11I shot a few pic's when for the first time in weeks!!(Well it is summer ....) the clouds cleared tonight..

Shot with my trusty 200mm +x2 + x1.4 supported on a couple of tripods at:-

F16 125 bracket 1 stop each way and F11 125 same bracketing.

I combined a bright and dark exposure in PS using Layer Difference flatten. Unsharpmask at a high 150 and a touch of contrast.

It's late so I'll look again tomorrow and see what I got.......

Well worth catching a few shots over the weekend though. It looks like the weather is good this time of year....

A bit more detail than my Venus transitrolleyes1.gif ...
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2004
    Things like trees can float past your lens un-noticed when you focus so far away..Always worth looking to see whats in the way!.....
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2004
    Nice moon shot, Bodwick! thumb.gif That's a lot of gear piled onto the lens!

All I can muster up is a 300. So I made a rather crude composite of two exposures. Thanks to Charlie Brown for telling me the moon was out - I had given up on it.

7858693-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2004
    The clouds finally cleared this evening and I was able to get a few shots before the mosquito fogging crew drove by spraying kerosene and I had to go back indoors....umph.gif

f16 1/200 ISO 200 RAW 400mm + 2x extender
    7964502-L.jpg

• Options
    edited August 31, 2004
    Amazing shots. We got rained out last night in my neck of the woods.

Doug
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2004
    Very nice, PF, very nice.
    Sid.
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2004
    I finally got a moon photo. After reading this thread I realized I've been WAY overexposing them, so tonight I shot this:

8006456-L.jpg

No great shakes, especially compared to the beautiful shots posted here, but I was really happy with it because it's with my little 3MP at 10X (around 330mm, I think?). And especially because I learned a lot by making so many mistakes on my previous attempts.

Bodwick, the ejecta rays in your shot are phenominal, fantastic! And pathfinder too, amazing stuff. Wax, that's cool 'shopping, really nice.
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2004
    Nice job, DJ. Who'd a thought it was so hard to shoot the moon? Especially interesting is how much lens power you need.

BYW, what's an ejecta ray? Is that the star-like spray of material from an asteroid impact on the moon?
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Nice job, DJ. Who'd a thought it was so hard to shoot the moon? Especially interesting is how much lens power you need.

BYW, what's an ejecta ray? Is that the star-like spray of material from an asteroid impact on the moon?
    you got it. The material that splashes out of the crater is lighter than the original layer of regolith (moon stuff!), so it stands out. They are really noticeable in Bodwick's photo.

I always wondered why it came out in rays, not as a wave. But have you ever seen those photos of a milk drop? There's a ring of material displaced, and then crown-like dots on top of that; I guess that's similar to how the rays are formed. And also there's a central peak, and some craters show that feature as well.

I will be on Cape Cod this weekend with an astronomy enthusiast who is bringing his 10-inch scope. But I don't think my S1 has the right kind of lens to adapt to it. :cry
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2004
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    you got it. The material that splashes out of the crater is lighter than the original layer of regolith (moon stuff!), so it stands out. They are really noticeable in Bodwick's photo.

I always wondered why it came out in rays, not as a wave. But have you ever seen those photos of a milk drop? There's a ring of material displaced, and then crown-like dots on top of that; I guess that's similar to how the rays are formed. And also there's a central peak, and some craters show that feature as well.

I will be on Cape Cod this weekend with an astronomy enthusiast who is bringing his 10-inch scope. But I don't think my S1 has the right kind of lens to adapt to it. :cry
    An awful lot of images were made with Nikon CoolPix and other types of digital cameras by focusing them for infinity and holding them up close to the ocular and taking a picture. This only works for short exposures of course, but the moon is very bright in a good astro telescope. There are adapter rings made for 28mm and larger sizes to mount to astrotelescopes, but just holding it by hand might alloww you to capture an image of the moon. Give it a shot - you might be surprised. Using the real time LCD finders can be a real big help doing this.

• Options
    edited September 1, 2004
    Thanks, I'll give it a try if we get clear skies.
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2004
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Thanks, I'll give it a try if we get clear skies.
    It was fairly clear here tonight in central Indiana and I set up my binoculars on a standard tripod pointed at the moon and focused them carefully. I used a Nikon 995 CoolPix HANDHELD in manual mode - It is a 3.2 Mpixel camera. I set the aperature and the shutter speed in Manual Mode and held the front of the lens behind the ocular of the binoculars - where the bright spot of light was shining - and captured several frames. This is not easy to do handheld, but with an adapter to hold the camera steady it would be duck soup. I captured these two images this way this evening. Most of the lack of sharpness is the fact that it was done handheld. These are not stacked or averaged - just brought into PS and curved and sharpened and saved as jpgs.lickout.gif The camera focus was set for infinity - any one could do this with most P&Ss that allow manual control of focus, aperature and shutter speed.

f4.6 1/22 sec ISO 100
    8041859-M.jpg

f10.6 8/1000 sec ISO 100
    8041937-M.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2, 2004
    eek7.gif Wow. I never would have believed that you could get that good of a shot just by holding the camera up to the eyepiece. I've always read that you need adapter rings, and you have to be at prime focus, blah, blah, blah. Now I'm really looking forward to the weekend! If I get anything I'll post 'em next week.
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2004
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    eek7.gif Wow. I never would have believed that you could get that good of a shot just by holding the camera up to the eyepiece. I've always read that you need adapter rings, and you have to be at prime focus, blah, blah, blah. Now I'm really looking forward to the weekend! If I get anything I'll post 'em next week.
    As I said, this is not real easy to do handheld - you have to have the LCD on real time and kind of move the camera side to side and fore and aft until you can see a good image in the LCD and then push the shutter. The big advantage of the adapters, I suspect, is that they will allow the use of the cameras self timer to avoid any camera movement. Many of my images were very blurry due to obvious camera movement. The Binoculars WILL NEED TO BE TRIPOD MOUNTED for this to work - you CANNOT hold the binoculars stable enough without a tripod or similar fixed support. The handheld camera can be finagled, but not the binoculars. Try it, it is kind of satisfyingthumb.gif Glad you liked the images from my old 3.2 Mpixel P&S. I like the CoolPix - it makes great pictures.

• Options
    edited September 7, 2004
    Great weather on the Cape this weekend. Cool, clear nights, nice dark skies. Unfortunately, no telescope shots. Our hosts had a death in their family Friday night and had to return home.

So, another time. Not a big deal in the scheme of things.
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2004
    I just recently got a new lens so I thought I'd revive this thread.
    400mm w/ 1.4xTCII, tripod
    9108589-L.jpg
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    tmlphoto wrote:
    9108589-L.jpg

Very Nice and very sharp TML, your new lens seems to be very crisp optically. Are you a Nikonian or an Canonian? rolleyes1.gif I forget.

• Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    pathfinder wrote:
    Very Nice and very sharp TML, your new lens seems to be very crisp optically. Are you a Nikonian or an Canonian? rolleyes1.gif I forget.
    Its the Canon 100-400L. Only had it a couple of weeks, me likes.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    T4TotsT4Tots Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    tmlphoto wrote:
    9108589-L.jpg
    Very nice!

Pathfinder I love the detail in your moon shots.
    Tina Folsom :lust
    Photographer and Mom of Four!