Options

See what password I set on a gallery?

NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
edited October 29, 2013 in SmugMug Support
With the new SmugMug, in Gallery Settings, the password is ****'d out. How can I see what I'd set for a give gallery's password? Sometimes I have clients contact me years later, and I'll not remember!

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2013
    You can't see them. If a client calls, years later, just overwrite and give them a new password.
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2013
    It has also been suggested to keep say an Excel spreadsheet file as a record of your passwords.
    Some people don't like that but for me it is no biggie. Works for me.
    The ****** showing is an example of Smugmug increasing the security level of our sites ... I can live with that. Others get a bit upset.
    It is what it is.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2013
    Gotcha. Sounds like a touchy subject! :)
    I can live with it, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Thanks!
  • Options
    lynchpicslynchpics Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 22, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    You can't see them. If a client calls, years later, just overwrite and give them a new password.

Really?
  • Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2013
    lynchpics wrote: »
    Really?

Correct. For security reasons we no longer display the passwords. If you do not know the password you will need to reset it in the gallery settings. Going forward we recommend keeping track of your passwords in a word document or spreadsheet.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    lynchpicslynchpics Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 22, 2013
    zacHer0 wrote: »
    Correct. For security reasons we no longer display the passwords. If you do not know the password you will need to reset it in the gallery settings. Going forward we recommend keeping track of your passwords in a word document or spreadsheet.

So I have bank accounts and investment accounts where I can see my password when I am logged in, but I can't see photo gallery passwords?

Not trying to be difficult here, but that seems a bit strange to me.
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2013
    Going forward we recommend keeping track of your passwords in a word document or spreadsheet.
    ... which itself would have to be security-protected and/or encrypted and/or kept on a different device, or it would be an unsecured repository of security data :D
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2013
    Any way to add a span around it to make it the same as the background color? Then it would show if "select all" is picked.

Hint: Dog's name Charlie

BTW, just went into the gallery settings of one of my passworded galleries and the PW and Hint are blank?
    I add it to every PW'ed gallery. Not on an upper level.
    They are set to Inheriting (Public)? Yet the show the lock icon at top of page?

Seems to be happening for all passworded galleries.
    Folders do show the PW and Hint.

The smart galleries I've recently created all show the PW and Hint.

Edit: adding the color span works in hint. Just tested.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2013
    I just tested that... when i try to access the password protected gallery i get a "Need a hint" message. If i click that message i can see the password. So anyone can see the password, even anonymous visitors. So why keep the gallery password protected? Just wondering...
  • Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2013
    lynchpics wrote: »
    So I have bank accounts and investment accounts where I can see my password when I am logged in, but I can't see photo gallery passwords?

Not trying to be difficult here, but that seems a bit strange to me.

We did not just make this policy change on a whim, it was done for security purposes. Ultimately to protect you and other users :).

I've never heard of an online bank account that would show your password while logged in. That doesn't sound very secure headscratch.gif.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2013
    phaserbeam wrote: »
    I just tested that... when i try to access the password protected gallery i get a "Need a hint" message. If i click that message i can see the password. So anyone can see the password, even anonymous visitors. So why keep the gallery password protected? Just wondering...

Can you send me a link to that gallery?

Just for clarification, I was referring to the hint in the Gallery Settings.
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Can you send me a link to that gallery?

Just for clarification, I was referring to the hint in the Gallery Settings.

Well... i already removed that test gallery... but if you need a sample:
    http://phaserbeam.smugmug.com/Test

I just set a password in organizer/settings for that gallery.

From my understanding the password hint is for the visitor like "What was you first pets name?". It is not for the site-owner because in that case the site would be as insecure as if the password field show the password in clear text.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2013
    @mbonocore: Do you still need that test gallery or can i delete it?
    What about the hint field... i think it should not be used to keep the password?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2013
    phaserbeam wrote: »
    @mbonocore: Do you still need that test gallery or can i delete it?
    What about the hint field... i think it should not be used to keep the password?

If you put the password in the hint field, then ANYone can see it. Do not put it there.
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2013
    I've seen a couple of SmugMug sites doing this, so I wonder how long you've been giving out this odd advice. Putting it in the hint field means that everybody can see it (there's a "get a hint" link on the login box which shows that field). It's equivalent to having no password on the gallery at all, except for maybe some avoidance of search engine indexing compared to an Unlisted gallery.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    If you put the password in the hint field, then ANYone can see it. Do not put it there.

That is what i thought, just mbonocore (and i have seen some other recommending that) said we could do that. I never use passwords so for me this is not relevant.

That was why i have tested that (see screenshots above). Maybe some people misunderstood the hint field. For me it was always a hint for the client/visitor not for myself.

So i will delete that test gallery since it is pretty clear that no one should keep the password there :D
  • Options
    kc1221kckc1221kc Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 23, 2013
    I know that you say hiding the password is a security issue but we're talking about photos here - not bank accounts. I really would love the option to see what password is assigned to a certain gallery. I photograph preschools and changing the password because I forgot isn't an option. I have a Mom questioning the password I gave her (she says it doesn't work) and now I can't confirm whether the issue is on her end or on mine. I don't know that it's necessary to be so top-secret that even the administrator can't see the details of each of their own galleries. I've honestly struggled a little with all of the changes SmugMug has made lately and this is just one more frustration. :(:
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2013
    We did not just make this policy change on a whim, it was done for security purposes. Ultimately to protect you and other users :).

I would be much more inclined to believe this was done to "protect us" if the default option for photo sales on all account levels was OFF.

Forgetting to change that setting is potentially much more damaging to someone than showing them a password when they are logged in... And untraceable for many since Basic and Power users have no sales statistics.
  • Options
    flyingwolfflyingwolf Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2013
    Write password for each gallery to a new image, save image and upload it, mark image as protected so that no visitor can see it, only you when logged in, put this in the gallery that uses that password.

Tada, record of password for said gallery.

Talk about a workaround and a half.
  • Options
    flyingwolfflyingwolf Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2013
    Touched on already but I just want to say again, are you kidding!
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2013
    Yes you are right. I was misinformed myself on how the hint field worked (I personally do not use passworded galleries)

I sincerely apologize for the mis information.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2013
    Post edited to remove the incorrect advice