Options

Lost html in menu

AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
edited October 12, 2013 in SmugMug Support
All of a sudden somethings that's been working from day one of migration months ago stopped working.

HTML in my menu is borked.

Using WebDev I removed all the CSS sections and didn't help.

Looks like somethings not right on Smugmug, please fix.
Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
My Website index | My Blog

Comments

• Options
    LindyLindy Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2013
    Hey Allen,

I looked, and that's what you entered in your nav bar for the link title, so that is what will be seen. Just go into your Customizer, and check the contents of your nav bar, and you'll see it. You can't enter html in those places.

Hope that helps!
    Lindy
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2013
    Lindy wrote: »
    Hey Allen,

I looked, and that's what you entered in your nav bar for the link title, so that is what will be seen. Just go into your Customizer, and check the contents of your nav bar, and you'll see it. You can't enter html in those places.

Hope that helps!
    Lindy
    SmugMug Support Hero
    You're kidding, right? It's been working from day 1 on NewSite.
    Only changed today about 4:30pm CDST.

Are you saying this did not get changed today and it's not allowed?.
    You can see the proof that it's been working.

Here's a screen shot of yesterdays. Bottom image shows color change in sub-menu.
    These are all pieces of image I've posted on Dgrin.
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2013
    Bump - Please fix this, you've borked my menu on many pages.
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2013
    Lindy wrote: »
    You can't enter html in those places.
    Lindy
    SmugMug Support Hero
    I'm 100% with Allen on this - HTML was working fine in "those places" not long ago.

This is conclusive proof that SM don't do proper regression testing when they change stuff.

Please fix it ASAP.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2013
    At least the & started working.
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2013
    That sort of styling is probably best left to CSS, not HTML, anyway. e.g. you can:
    .sm-page-widget-nav-toplink a[href$="/browse"] {
      color: yellow;
    }

$= selects any attributes ending in the given value. There is also = for exact match, ^= for "begins with", and *= for "contains anywhere".
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »
    That sort of styling is probably best left to CSS, not HTML, anyway. e.g. you can:
    .sm-page-widget-nav-toplink a[href$="/browse"] {
      color: yellow;
    }

$= selects any attributes ending in the given value. There is also = for exact match, ^= for "begins with", and *= for "contains anywhere".
    I actually have two top menus with one of these in each.

Each link ends with the page ID, should I use "contains" the niceName?

http://www.photosbyat.com/Public-Site-Index-NS2/n-6dSMX
    .sm-page-widget-nav-toplink a[href*="/Public-Site-Index"] {color:gold;}

http://www.photosbyat.com/Family-Search/n-HSdkL
    .sm-page-widget-nav-toplink a[href*="/Family-Search"] {color: #666; font-style:italic;}

Got this to work.
    .sm-page-widget-nav-toplink a[href*="/Public-Site-Index"] {color:gold !important;}
    .sm-page-widget-nav-toplink a:hover[href*="/Public-Site-Index"] {color:yellow !important;}
    .sm-page-widget-nav-toplink a[href*="/Family-Search"] {color: #666; font-style:italic;}

Big relief, thanks
  • Options
    guyguy Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2013
    This broke my nav bar too :^(..

I had a two line Nav Bar, Each item had a japanese translation underneath it. I did this using s simple
    tag. It worked perfectly until today!

What's the point in us spending hours & hours customizing our sites if at any time SM can change the rules & break it all??

PS if anyone knows of another way I can do this now that I can't use the BR tag anymore I'd love to know!

Thanks.
  • Options
    guyguy Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2013
    guy wrote: »
    This broke my nav bar too :^(..

I had a two line Nav Bar, Each item had a japanese translation underneath it. I did this using s simple <BR> tag. It worked perfectly until today!

What's the point in us spending hours & hours customizing our sites if at any time SM can change the rules & break it all??

PS if anyone knows of another way I can do this now that I can't use the BR tag anymore I'd love to know!

Thanks.

Maybe I'm just in a grumpy mood tonight but I find this change really annoying. If SM are having to make changes like this now, over 2 months after release then it just seems to me that this is another example of what they originally released was a beta product. I had a perfectly working Nav bar looking the way I wanted it to look, now it looks like crap & I have to spend more of my time trying to figure out another way to recreate what I had. What else are we using now that could go away at any moment?
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2013
    I imagine what happened is that a security hole was discovered where any HTML at all could be entered in a link title (including JS). If I was working on solving that, I'd think, "do we really need HTML support in link titles anyway? who would possibly be using that?" and change it encode out all HTML code. This is a really simple fix, compared to disallowing only some HTML, which requires thought and planning about what it makes sense to include in link text, which is probably 'not much', as most HTML breaks the display of the links.

That's just idle speculation, because I never tried HTML out in links myself and don't know if there was a hole there.