Options

Changing File Names

Tom PotterTom Potter Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
edited October 13, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Where do I go and how do I go about changing the file names of my images?

Thanks,

www.tompotterphotography.com
Tom Potter
Email: tom@tompotterphotography.com
Landscape, Nature Photographic Prints For Sale
Focusing On Colorado

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited October 8, 2013
    You can't change the file names of your images after they are uploaded. You would need to change them before upload.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2013
    You can't change the file names of your images after they are uploaded. You would need to change them before upload.

--- Denise

Thanks Denise for your speedy reply....You're always so helpful....That's a bummer. I wish the importance of good file names was really REALLY stresse by SmugMug. Just seems they should have kind of a bible of MUST DO SEO steps before your next breath, kind of thing, so that we could get this right from the beginning. So then, my only option, to update my cruddy file names is to delete my images and re-upload them with better names, I guess, right??

Thanks again Denise! Appreciate it!

Tom Potter
    Tom Potter
    Focusing On Colorado
  • Options
    rustybladesrustyblades Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2013
    Tom Potter wrote: »
    Thanks Denise for your speedy reply....You're always so helpful....That's a bummer. I wish the importance of good file names was really REALLY stresse by SmugMug. Just seems they should have kind of a bible of MUST DO SEO steps before your next breath, kind of thing, so that we could get this right from the beginning. So then, my only option, to update my cruddy file names is to delete my images and re-upload them with better names, I guess, right??

Thanks again Denise! Appreciate it!

Tom Potter
    Tom,

I have a similar problem with some files, partly due to the change in sorting in the new SM. I used to upload the new files and then delete the old files. This had the downside of showing the replacement files on the recent photos list and any links to the old photo needed to be regenerated for the replacement photo. I've since discovered the Replace option in the tools. It's in the wrench under the image as a sub menu to Organize.

The Replace file works well for replacing photos with a file of a different name. It keeps the new file off the recent photos list and preserves links to the old file. The only downside is you can only to one file at a time.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2013
    Tom,

I have a similar problem with some files, partly due to the change in sorting in the new SM. I used to upload the new files and then delete the old files. This had the downside of showing the replacement files on the recent photos list and any links to the old photo needed to be regenerated for the replacement photo. I've since discovered the Replace option in the tools. It's in the wrench under the image as a sub menu to Organize.

The Replace file works well for replacing photos with a file of a different name. It keeps the new file off the recent photos list and preserves links to the old file. The only downside is you can only to one file at a time.

Paul - Thank you so much for the info - A TREMENDOUS help!! :O)
    Tom Potter
    Focusing On Colorado