Options

"Preview" Link Takes You to Different Page

leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
edited October 2, 2013 in Bug Reporting
For those of you that don't follow the forums: I've spent a lot of time customizing my SmugMug site ... perhaps over 200 hours. I say this to give some background on how frustrating it is when you are trying to customize your page and you are taken away from the page you're working on and have to re-navigate to it. When you've spent this much time on customization every couple of minutes saved is huge...

One thing that I noticed immediately and ignored for a while was that the "Preview" button on the customizer has unexpected behavior.

When you are customizing a page and click "Preview", it always takes you to your homepage. If you navigate away from your homepage and then click "Customize", the customizer always defaults to the "homepage" customization.

This is quite unexpected and quite frustrating. It's most frustrating if you are customizing a "Just this page". What it means is that it takes you away from the page you are customizing and requires you to navigate back to it. When you then click "Customize" to go back and make more edits to your customization, it again, takes you away from the page you are trying to customize.

This is unexpected behavior. If you're trying to customize a page and you want to "Preview" how your changes will look, you'd expect you could click "Preview", see it, then jump back to the customizer to continue editing it. To have to re-navigate back to the page every time is frustrating.

One way to mitigate this slightly is that I copy the customize URL that I'm working to my clipboard so I can just paste it in and remove "#customize" to jump straight to the page. Then I paste the URL in when I want to customize again and it takes me back to customizing the page I was on. I shouldn't have to do this.

I know others have complained about this in other forums.

Here's how it should work:
- When you are customizing a page and click "Preview" it should take you to the page you were working on.
- When you are previewing a page and click "Customize" it should take you to the customizer for the page you were on.
dGrin Afficionado
Former SmugMug Product Team
aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations

Comments