Options

Password protected folder, galleries not showing

blairsomersblairsomers Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited October 7, 2013 in SmugMug Support
Hi all
I shoot weddings and want to password protect a folder for a client which contains a number of galleries. When I set this up, and login as the client does, there are no galleries showing.

Is this the same fault as described in the "known bugs" area?
I have tried every setting known to man (I think) and read the forums but I can't solve it.

Any help appreciated

Blair

Comments

• Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2013
    Do you have Hide Owner set in the gallery settings. This can cause thumbnails to not show correctly when a password is set.
    I found this out the hard way!

Cheers,
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    WendeeWendee Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2013
    Are the galleries private or unlisted? If you have private or unlisted galleries within a folder, the folder will appear empty for a logged-out viewer, since they would need links directly to unlisted galleries and would not be able to see private galleries.

If you need anything else, please let us know.

Wendee
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2013
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Dennis, no, that seems to be ok.

Wendee, I don't think I understand what you mean. The parent folder is unlisted and password protected. Therefore the galleries within the folder are also unlisted - I have no choice in this other than to make them private.

Am I following you correctly when you say that I need to give my bride and groom 6 different links to 6 different password protected galleries? If so, thats just nuts.

Is there a way of having one link to one password protected folder/gallery/page that opens up into further galleries viewable only by the person that entered the password?
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,241 moderator
    Am I following you correctly when you say that I need to give my bride and groom 6 different links to 6 different password protected galleries? If so, thats just nuts.

Is there a way of having one link to one password protected folder/gallery/page that opens up into further galleries viewable only by the person that entered the password?
    Have you considered using galleries that are set to Public but password-protected? Create a folder for the wedding, place all of the galleries in the folder. Set the folder and galleries to public and set the same password for all of the galleries. Give your customer a link to the top level folder and the password. Entering the password once will give them access to all of their galleries.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestion Denise. Is that not the same thing though? What you describe is exactly what I am trying to do with an unlisted folder. If I make them public, and password protected will I not just end up with the same result? Entering the top level folder password does not give access to the galleries within once they are password protected also.
    I'm very confused by all of this - I have set up a trial on Zenfolio and it works perfectly, exactly the way I want and expect. I prefer the look and feel of Smugmug but I just can't get my head around it......
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,241 moderator
    The galleries will be visible on the folder if they are public and password protected. They will not be visible without direct links if unlisted. As I said in my previous post, if you use the same password for all of the galleries the password only needs to be entered once.
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2013
    Thanks Denise, I'll try that.
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2013
    Re:
    I have set up a trial on Zenfolio and it works perfectly

I've done a bit of checking, and discovered that the privacy function in Zenfolio does not allow one to do these 2 variations:
    - Make a gallery that is locked down with no indication of the name of your site detectable to visitors, and/or
    - Make a gallery that is unlisted but with your logo or site name info visible.

The only option is the 2nd in Zenfolio. I.e., you cannot create a gallery that has no reference to your site name.

The privacy function on Zenfolio, though, does keep google from finding the site.