Options

Statcounter & new smugmug

Luc De JaegerLuc De Jaeger Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
edited September 1, 2013 in SmugMug Support
Since I unveiled my new smugmug site, I noticed that in my statcounter stats, the green referring link is always the same URL as the (black) entrance page (i.e. my full website URL on which a photo appears).

Before I unveiled, the green URL was always the real referring URL like google, yahoo search or other websites or blogs. This seems no longer to be the case. It looks as if the real referring link is now missing -- or am I missing something. I'm not worried about this because the number of visits and visitors remains the same. Just curious how come this has changed and if someone knows how come?

By the way, I'm thrilled and very happy with the new smugmug user interface :lust. Very user friendly and intuitive (it took me kess than an hour to figure out the basics of the organizer and customizer). Though there are some features and additions missing, the customization threads here on dgrin were the jewels on the crown! I'm anxiously looking forward to all the new additions and features that will be added by Smugmug! :thumb

Luc

Comments

• Options
    ablichterablichter Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2013
    Since I unveiled my new smugmug site, I noticed that in my statcounter stats, the green referring link is always the same URL as the (black) entrance page (i.e. my full website URL on which a photo appears).

Before I unveiled, the green URL was always the real referring URL like google, yahoo search or other websites or blogs. This seems no longer to be the case. It looks as if the real referring link is now missing -- or am I missing something.
    The are there at least on mine. What is the Name/IP of the visits you are talking about? Maybe your own? And if someone scrolls through your galleries than the referrer is yoursite.com/, yoursite.com/keyword/ or yoursite.com/galleryname/
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2013
    ablichter wrote: »
    The are there at least on mine. What is the Name/IP of the visits you are talking about? Maybe your own? And if someone scrolls through your galleries than the referrer is yoursite.com/, yoursite.com/keyword/ or yoursite.com/galleryname/

These are not mine (by the way, I have a blocking cookie) but the location and IP addresses come from worldwide visitors (for example and not limited): London (UK), Wroclav (Poland), Almaty (Kazakhstan), Belgium, United States etc...

The green referring link always reads http://lucdejaeger.smugmug.com/xxxxx/yyyyyy/zzzzz in which xxxx is the folder or gallery name the worldwide visitor visits and the yyy and zzz refer to the photos.

It's the same link as the black URL one that points to the page/gallery and photo that is looked at.

Imho, the green and black URLs cannot be the same (they never were anyway).

It's just weird because the average number of worldwide visitors remained the same. Only, I cannot find out how they entered my pages because of the 'missing'(?) referrer link that previously was very clear.
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2013
    Imho, the green and black URLs cannot be the same (they never were anyway).
    It can, but you should only have some. Imagine you have page ./map and a link to it on every other page (site wide) When on ./map clicking the link map results in a refer .domainname/map and target .domainname/map
    I believe there is nothing to worry about yet. How long have you unveiled already?
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2013
    ablichter wrote: »
    It can, but you should only have some. Imagine you have page ./map and a link to it on every other page (site wide) When on ./map clicking the link map results in a refer .domainname/map and target .domainname/map
    I believe there is nothing to worry about yet. How long have you unveiled already?

I unveiled since August 30. So, only very recently.

Your image shows exactly what I mean (instead of the /map my statcounter links go to my folders like /Military or /Cities etc. and some specific images). I think you are right that this is nothing to worry about, just that I've not encountered this in the Statcounter stats on my legacy site.

Anyway, I know the stats must work because of the registered traffic. I'll just keep an eye on how this evolves.

Thanks for looking into this and sharing your thoughts!thumb.gif

Luc
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2013
    I unveiled since August 30. So, only very recently.
    [...] Thanks for looking into this and sharing your thoughts!thumb.gif
    Luc
    You are welcome. Just wait a bit and if not done so far, you may exclude crawlers in Statcounter to get the relevant traffic only, even when the numbers of hits will go down.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2013
    Did you enter your StatCounter code in the account settings? In the new SM, this is the only way to get full featured StatCounter reports. You do this instead of putting the StatCounter code in your custom footer like you did in the old SM.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2013
    jfriend wrote: »
    Did you enter your StatCounter code in the account settings? In the new SM, this is the only way to get full featured StatCounter reports. You do this instead of putting the StatCounter in your custom footer like you did in the old SM.

Yes I did it in the new way (the 2 different codes in the account settings).

Luc