Options

Popular photo question...

brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
edited August 24, 2013 in SmugMug Support
How is the popular photo gallery populated? As in... how are the images selected as being popular?
I assumed they were ones views gave thumbs up to... but I have slide show images showing up on my popular image page... those are not in a listed gallery so I know no one is thumbing them.

Comments

• Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    How is the popular photo gallery populated? As in... how are the images selected as being popular?
    I assumed they were ones views gave thumbs up to... but I have slide show images showing up on my popular image page... those are not in a listed gallery so I know no one is thumbing them.

Thanks for the move... anyone have an answer though?
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    Thanks for the move... anyone have an answer though?

I have a long string of emails about this from when I contacted the Heroes about Populars.

The short story is that New SM calculates what's popular in a different way to how it was calculated in Legacy.

At Migration my Legacy site showed a lowly 8 popular pics. An hour or so later, when I added a Popular Pics Content Block to my unveiled New SM, it showed 50 populars with the number of rows set at "Auto" and a mind-boggling 1000 with the number of rows set at "All"..

Three weeks later and the Heroes still can't explain this. They can see that there's a difference but they can't account for it.

I've given up on trying to get it sorted, if you want to pick up the baton and run with it for a few laps it might help you to know that the Heroes have this extra Populars issue down as Case #491096.

See http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=236733

If you want a copy of the email conversation please let me know and I'll get it to you somehow.

Hope that helps.

Good luck!
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    beardedgit wrote: »
    I have a long string of emails about this from when I contacted the Heroes about Populars.

The short story is that New SM calculates what's popular in a different way to how it was calculated in Legacy.

At Migration my Legacy site showed a lowly 8 popular pics. An hour or so later, when I added a Popular Pics Content Block to my unveiled New SM, it showed 50 populars with the number of rows set at "Auto" and a mind-boggling 1000 with the number of rows set at "All"..

Three weeks later and the Heroes still can't explain this. They can see that there's a difference but they can't account for it.

I've given up on trying to get it sorted, if you want to pick up the baton and run with it for a few laps it might help you to know that the Heroes have this extra Populars issue down as Case #491096.

See http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=236733

If you want a copy of the email conversation please let me know and I'll get it to you somehow.

Hope that helps.

Good luck!

My concern is that There are pics in there that make it look silly... slides from my gear slide show in particular...
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    My concern is that There are pics in there that make it look silly... slides from my gear slide show in particular...

FWIW, I've found, by trial and error, that there is some sort of pseudo-order in what New SM considers to be my popular photos (visible at http://beardedgit.smugmug.com/popular)...

1: The first two are pics that have comments and stars (in Legacy);
    2: The next few (13, maybe?) are those that have been "thumbed-up" (in both Legacy and New)";
    3: Whatever follows them is random, but does tend to be "clustered", by that I mean it shows a long run of pics taken from one gallery, then another run from another gallery, and so on. I know that these aren't popular, nobody in their right mind would thumb-up some of the crap that I have, and their inclusion does, as you say, "make it look silly". Pics in this third "category" can change from day to day, and after each cache/cookies clearance, and often after an "F5" hard-refresh. These are the spurious ones that SM should not be displaying as Popular.

But hey, SM have the system, the code, the algorithms and the access. If they couldn't figure out what was wrong, and fix it, within those three weeks, what chance do we users have?

:bash:bash:bash
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    beardedgit wrote: »
    FWIW, I've found, by trial and error, that there is some sort of pseudo-order in what New SM considers to be my popular photos (visible at http://beardedgit.smugmug.com/popular)...

1: The first two are pics that have comments and stars (in Legacy);
    2: The next few (13, maybe?) are those that have been "thumbed-up" (in both Legacy and New)";
    3: Whatever follows them is random, but does tend to be "clustered", by that I mean it shows a long run of pics taken from one gallery, then another run from another gallery, and so on. I know that these aren't popular, nobody in their right mind would thumb-up some of the crap that I have, and their inclusion does, as you say, "make it look silly". Pics in this third "category" can change from day to day, and after each cache/cookies clearance, and often after an "F5" hard-refresh. These are the spurious ones that SM should not be displaying as Popular.

But hey, SM have the system, the code, the algorithms and the access. If they couldn't figure out what was wrong, and fix it, within those three weeks, what chance do we users have?

:bash:bash:bash

One more example of what my brother used to call the "Microsoft method of development"... send out a beta version to the users as "finished product" and let them test and find the bugs... unfortunately SM has so many bugs they cannot keep up at this point.
    Ranting again... sorry.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    Ranting again...
    I like a good rant, feel free to lean on this open door thumb.gif