Options

Protected Folders and Slideshows

DBRDBR Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
edited August 21, 2013 in SmugMug Support
I have photos arranged in folders, based on groups. I used to password-protect individual galleries, but now I password protect folders, based on those same groups. For example, I have a folder for family pictures, and another folder for our high school's marching unit.

I want to put a slide show at the top level of each folder hierarchy, and include pictures from all the galleries included under that folder. I set this up using the customization feature of the new SmugMug, and it looked pretty good while I was logged in. (I'd really prefer to be able to specify random and changing order for the images, but that's another issue.) When I logged out, and looked at this as a visitor would see it, the slideshows were empty.

Now, I realize that the galleries from which the slides come are password-protected, but I had logged into the folder with the same password used on those galleries. I'm a bit confused, therefore, why the slideshow was blank. Surely it was the intent of the new SmugMug to allow this sort of access control and use, isn't it?

If access control is offered at the folder level, then permitting access to that folder should allow access to its subfolders and galleries. Otherwise, you might as well require a password for each individual picture.

Is there currently a way to set up access so that granting access to a protected folder will allow access to its children, so that slide shows can be made at the top of an organized structure?

Thanks,

David