Options

how to expand the photo caption with the journal style gallery

Pickled PhotonsPickled Photons Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited May 23, 2014 in SmugMug Customization
Another question I have is how can we expand the photo caption in the journal gallery so that it goes across the entire length of the photo?

I attached what I mean here. I tried different templates but the photo caption does not go all the way across like the old smugmug.

I have this for the css

.sm-user-ui .sm-gallery-journal .sm-tile-info {
max-width: 1200px;
text-align:justify;

}

I tired .sm-tile-caption , also no go.
And it is not because of the the text-align:justify in the css. I tried taking that out and still the caption doesn't go across.

Comments

• Options
    J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    Another question I have is how can we expand the photo caption in the journal gallery so that it goes across the entire length of the photo?

I attached what I mean here. I tried different templates but the photo caption does not go all the way across like the old smugmug.

I have this for the css

}

And it is not because of the the text-align:justify in the css. I tried taking that out and still the caption doesn't go across.

Try this:
    .sm-gallery-journal .sm-gallery-images 
    .sm-tile > .sm-tile-info > p {max-width: 1200px !important}

-Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    Allen

That works! Thank!!
  • Options
    James_FJames_F Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    Follow Up Question to J Allen ...
    J Allen wrote: »
    Try this:
    .sm-gallery-journal .sm-gallery-images 
    .sm-tile > .sm-tile-info > p {max-width: 1200px !important}

J Allen: Wow. I've been trying to figure out how to do this for weeks. Is there also a way to close up the margin space below the image and the caption. I'd also like to move the page number and photo info icon out of the way so that my captions (some are long) would be more visible without scrolling down each time one wanted to read an image caption.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2013

I have this for the css

}

To Pickled Photons: Referring to you screen snapshot of your caption below the image, how did you manage to move the page numbers and other icons out of the way below the image and also to reduce the margin/empty space below the image?
  • Options
    J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    James_F wrote: »
    J Allen: Wow. I've been trying to figure out how to do this for weeks. Is there also a way to close up the margin space below the image and the caption. I'd also like to move the page number and photo info icon out of the way so that my captions (some are long) would be more visible without scrolling down each time one wanted to read an image caption.

Got a link to a specific gallery so I can see an example.
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2013
    To Pickled Photons: Referring to you screen snapshot of your caption below the image, how did you manage to move the page numbers and other icons out of the way below the image and also to reduce the margin/empty space below the image?

I don't know. :)

What template are you using? I am using Shadow and then the journal type gallery. Perhaps you used the Smugmug type gallery?

Besides what Allen showed to expand the photo caption, the only other css I have for the journal gallery is the below to hide the share button since I don't like that using the share button, the system can give you a direct link to the photo to enable download. I am just doing this for fun but still..

.sm-gallery-journal .sm-button-image-share {
    display: none;
    }
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2013
    J Allen wrote: »
    Got a link to a specific gallery so I can see an example.

Hi Joe: See this, for example - http://jamesfarrell.smugmug.com/Site-Pages/The-West-and-Southwest-Parks/GrandTetonNP

PLEASE NOTE: The gallery style is SmugMug, not journal. So the code you offered earlier in this thread would be different. I want to lose the share link (only visible when I am logged in). And I want to move the image page number(s) out of the way someplace. Basically want to economize the space below the image.

Full disclosure: I know NOTHING about CSS coding, but I
    d like to find a guide to learn. I'll just copy and paste what others have done. But one fundamental question I have since I've not tried any coding - if I paste something in the CSS app box, will that coding be always visible (in site customization mode of course) if I want to change, delete or add something more?
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2013
    I don't know. :)

What template are you using? I am using Shadow and then the journal type gallery. Perhaps you used the Smugmug type gallery?

Besides what Allen showed to expand the photo caption, the only other css I have for the journal gallery is the below to hide the share button since I don't like that using the share button, the system can give you a direct link to the photo to enable download. I am just doing this for fun but still..

.sm-gallery-journal .sm-button-image-share {
    display: none;
    }

I'm using SmugMug gallery style and a customized SmugMug design
  • Options
    raebrownraebrown Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2013

This might help with the page numbers under the photo:
    http://www.smugocity.com/CSS/Navigation/Image-Pagination
    Rae
    Tickled Pixels

Tickled Pixels Blog: "
    A walk in Gamla stan, the old town of Stockholm"
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2013
    raebrown wrote: »
    This might help with the page numbers under the photo:
    http://www.smugocity.com/CSS/Navigation/Image-Pagination

I don't want to REMOVE it; I only want to reposition it.
  • Options
    bazancikbazancik Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2013
    Hi,

not sure if anyone still checks this gallery, but...
    trying to center captions under photos in journal gallery - but no luck. The above code did not work -- managed to get the text centred and bigger in lightbox - but not for journal gallery: any ideas what might work?

much appreciated!
  • Options
    BirdsnStuffBirdsnStuff Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2014
    Hi there, I followed the advice here and it seemed to work great. However, I checked my journal-style galleries today and all the formatting on the caption boxes has reverted back (even though the CSS is still in place). Any ideas why, please?
    Thanks
  • Options
    Smug EricSmug Eric Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 333
    edited May 13, 2014
    Got a link?
    Eric
    Support Hero and Customeister
    http://www.smugmug.com/help
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2014
    Smug Eric wrote: »
    Got a link?

This is one of the journal-style galleries

http://sun-flower.smugmug.com/WaxwingsandDippers/Black-bellied-Dipper/

Many thanks
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2014
    I can't be sure as to why, but I'm not seeing that code showing as being called at all in your site's customization.
    Eric
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2014
    Here's a screen shot of the page when in customisation mode. The CSS block has the code for that page but, I guess, isn't working. Any idea why ;-)?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2014
    Just folioing up and wondered if anyone had an idea why the CSS code on this page (and others) isn't working, please? (http://sun-flower.smugmug.com/WaxwingsandDippers/Black-bellied-Dipper/)
    Thank you.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2014
    I still don't know why that does isn't working properly. But try this instead:

.sm-tiles-info-after .sm-tile-info p, .sm-gallery-journal .sm-journal-inlineedit {
    max-width: 1200px !important;
    }
    Eric
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2014
    Smug Eric wrote: »
    I still don't know why that does isn't working properly. But try this instead:

.sm-tiles-info-after .sm-tile-info p, .sm-gallery-journal .sm-journal-inlineedit {
    max-width: 1200px !important;
    }

Thank you Eric. That seems to have done the trick. I'll go ahead and replace the CSS in all the other journal galleries now thumb.gif I appreciate you getting back to me.