Options

Cannot see the passwords I set for my galleries?

DonnaMcDonnaMc Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited August 13, 2013 in SmugMug Support
Just went into gallery settings to find a password for a client and I am just seeing ********* . Not overly helpful :(

Any way to see the password?

D

Comments

• Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    Hi Donna,

For security reasons we no longer display the password for you while you are logged in. If you do not know the password we are recommending that you reset it in the gallery settings page for that gallery, then open up a word document and paste in the gallery URL and name, as well as the password so that you can keep track going forward.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    zacHer0 wrote: »
    For security reasons we no longer display the password for you while you are logged in.

So, despite the fact that we have securely logged in that isn't secure enough to show us passwords for our own photos? headscratch.gif

zacHer0 wrote: »
    If you do not know the password we are recommending that you reset it in the gallery settings page for that gallery, then open up a word document and paste in the gallery URL and name, as well as the password so that you can keep track going forward.

But saving passwords in a Word file is secure? eek7.gif

Just WOW!
  • Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    I think SM wants to make sure that if you leave your PC alone while being logged in no one can grab the password easily.

A possible solution might be to add a button next to the hidden password field like "Show me the password". When clicked SM opens a new window where you have to identify yourself with the current username and password. When done the hidden password is shown in clear text.

Just an idea, might be too complex to add to SM.
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    phaserbeam wrote: »
    I think SM wants to make sure that if you leave your PC alone while being logged in no one can grab the password easily.

Then why would they suggest leaving them all in a Word file?

It would be much easier for someone to steal the entire file if you leave your PC alone than to browse through individual album settings looking for passwords.
  • Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    Then write them down on a piece of paper, the old fashioned way :).
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    aschendelaschendel Registered Users Posts: 283 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    I'm not impressed at all with the terrible advice being suggested here as a workaround to a "security fix".

You could try a browser add-on, like the FF Webdev toolbar, which flips password fields to plaintext, although I'm not having any success with that in one of my passworded galleries...

a.s.
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 13, 2013
    That won't work a.s.

With the new platform, we have made numerous improvements to site security. We can't show the passwords to you because we don't store them ourselves. Anyone gaining access somehow to our database would have a very hard time using it to figure out passwords.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    And remember to use the password hint on new galleries!
  • Options
    aschendelaschendel Registered Users Posts: 283 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    I think I'll put the password in the password hint :P

Andy