Options

Unveiled and Now Images Broken...

Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
edited August 15, 2013 in SmugMug Support
Ok, perhaps it's just because I unveiled in a leep of faith about 2 hours ago, and my site is just catching up BUT...

I thought I'd review the site a regular visitor, using Chrome.

Pages look fine, folders/galleries look fine, click on a thumbnail and get

i-MJDmXhM-L.png

Try a whole bunch and get the same!

Eventually I start getting

i-rNwPtkV-L.png

I ened up hitting "refresh," or whatever they call in Chrome, a bunch of times until full images appeared.

Please tell me this is just a temp thing due to only unveiling a short time ago...

Comments

• Options
    npudarnpudar Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    It may be something with Chrome possibly. I have not yet migrated, but have been exploring some of the amazing new SmugMug sites. On quite a few of the sites, I get the partial image, and then when I hit Refresh (Chrome calls it "Reload this page") the full image will appear.

If it is persistent on your computer with Chrome, see if you get the same result in Firefox or IE to see if it is a Chrome thing. (I am using a Chrome Pixel computer, so all I have is Chrome, so I can't verify the hypothesis.)

Nick
  • Options
    uketeeceeuketeecee Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    I checked your site. All seems to be working OK. I went to Weddings and all the galleries loaded OK.
    Is there a specific link or image you'd like me try?

Like you, I unveiled a few days ago and I regret to say I am finding lots of issues. Some of these are related to my own unfamiliarity with the new interface but others are more worrying.

I have several issues I'm struggling with. Basically my site is working 70%
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Darter, I checked out your site on my Chrome and all appears good.

Uketeecee, have you submitted your questions/issues to the help desk?
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Try disabling any crazy Chrome extensions you are using, particularly ones designed to mess with Flash.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    Thanks mbonocore, I'm aware that the Help desk currently has a heavy load.
    I don't want to unnecessarily add to that workload, so I'm checking and re-checking before I compile my list of issues to be submitted.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    uketeecee wrote: »
    Thanks mbonocore, I'm aware that the Help desk currently has a heavy load.
    I don't want to unnecessarily add to that workload, so I'm checking and re-checking before I compile my list of issues to be submitted.

You can always ask here in dgrin! I will be on all night :D
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    Again thanks mbonocore, perhaps I should start a new thread, I don't want to hijack this one.
    But one quick question please. Is there a 48 gallery display limit? I saw a message 'You have reached the limit of 48' when trying to display all my galleries.
  • Options
    dereksurfsdereksurfs Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Ron,

I tested your site under the same weddings gallery. I also have a fast cable internet connection.

1. Under Chrome I am seeing something similar, a black, blank screen, when I first click on the image. After hitting refresh 'once' the photo pops right up.

2. Under Firefox all the images instantly opened up with no problem.

3. Under IE all the images opened fine with no problems as well.

I then rechecked my website and had no problems with any browser including Chrome. So there is something different with your site since I have the same Chrome settings and it works with mine and not yours. You are free to compare here if you like: http://landandseaphoto.smugmug.com/

Initial observations: Some sites like yours stall upon opening an image for the first time while using Chrome. This may have something to do with local Chrome settings. Its hard to say why. And since it only happens under one browser its hard to call it a SM bug. Though there could be something weird going on between SM and Chrome in combination.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    dereksurfs wrote: »
    Ron,

I tested your site under the same weddings gallery. I also have a fast cable internet connection.

1. Under Chrome I am seeing something similar when I first click on the image. After hitting refresh 'once' the photo pops right up.

2. Under Firefox all the images instantly opened up with no problem.

3. Under IE all the images opened fine with no problems as well.

I then rechecked my website and had no problems with any browser. You are free to compare here if you like: http://landandseaphoto.smugmug.com/

Initial observation: some sites like your stall upon opening an image for the first time while using Chrome.

Thanks Derek! I will keep trying to test this out tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    One more thing to note is that I would give this a little more time as there are other factors involved with new sites like this which contain static images. One big one is 'Web Caching' on the back end at the host. Most larger hosts utilize this technology. I know we do for our web apps. This is back end caching as opposed to front end browser caching. So the more the photos are opened the more likely they will get cached on the server side as well. When they are they open faster as a result or at least they should if the cache is configured and functioning properly.

The funny thing is they 'pop' right open in other browsers. So it makes me think its more closely related to Chrome & SM in combo in certain situations.
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    Darter, Tried your site and all images opened fast. Using Macintosh OSX 10.6.8 and latest Chrome for Mac.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    Thanks for all the input. I tried looking at my most recent gallery on all three browsers I have this morning. Firefox things worked. IE 10 things worked. Chrome, only images I opened last night opened on the first click. Clicking randomly I got a lot of blank screens. I don't have a lot of extensions running. Just adblock, and chrome to phone.

I'll sit tight and see what happens as I don't think there's anything I can do on my end.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    Darter02 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the input. I tried looking at my most recent gallery on all three browsers I have this morning. Firefox things worked. IE 10 things worked. Chrome, only images I opened last night opened on the first click. Clicking randomly I got a lot of blank screens. I don't have a lot of extensions running. Just adblock, and chrome to phone.

I'll sit tight and see what happens as I don't think there's anything I can do on my end.

Thanks for the update....I will continue to test this and try to nail it down :)
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Thanks for the update....I will continue to test this and try to nail it down :)

What the heck are you doing up at 4AM replying to posts? Also, because of your avatar, I read your posts and Mark Hamill's voice is what I hear.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    What the heck are you doing up at 4AM replying to posts? Also, because of your avatar, I read your posts and Mark Hamill's voice is what I hear.

Michael, C'mon you've got to sleep, man! :D
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    I've had difficulty with a few different smugmug sites loading the lightbox view.... misses off the bottom bit of photos. On Chrome.
  • Options
    afxafx Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    While I can get images to show in Chrome on Windows, Chrome on Linux still does not show anything at all, but I see the mousover messages...
    No matter whether extensions are enabled or not.

cheers
    afx
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2013
    Ok, my most recent bride sent out the link to her gallery, and now I'm hearing about images not opening.
  • Options
    pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    I'm seeing lots of flaky behavior on my phone as well (Samsung Galaxy II)...half-images, missing images, etc.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2013
    Ok, my most recent bride sent out the link to her gallery, and now I'm hearing about images not opening.

Darter, 4am is my happy time :) Sleep is for the week!

Can you send me a link to the gallery your bride was having issues with?
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Darter, 4am is my happy time :) Sleep is for the week!

Can you send me a link to the gallery your bride was having issues with?

I'm seeing this behavior on all my galleries using Chrome on three different machines. Just pick a gallery. Two are Win7, one is Win8. I get either a blank screen, or the partial screen when an image is clicked. There's no real rhyme or reason to that I can see. Once an image does load, that image will always load.
  • Options
    richpepprichpepp Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    I took a look on your gallery and see identical behaviour, ie. no problems on IE(10) but Chrome sometimes doesn't load or only half loads. A refresh will usually load the image. More interestingly though in IE10 the images takes a second or two to load and historically Chrome seems to have had an issue with timing out if a page takes too long (e.g. here - a thread that started back in 2009 and whose most recent post is last month). It may that images are just taking too long to load with the heavy load Smugmug is getting that they've already commented on (partly due to the lovely collage view) and that we are seeing that as Chrome timing out. Either way it must be a pain
  • Options
    NostalgicDadNostalgicDad Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    I am also seeing this exact behavior in Chrome for several if not most of my galleries. FF seems to be fine. I am seeing it with both Portrait Collage and Landscape Collage.