Options

san francisco by night

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited August 22, 2004 in Landscapes
a shot of the harbor, at fisherman's wharf.

7525227-L.jpg

and some of the tempting seafood being hawked everywhere you look....

7525225-L.jpg

canon 10d, 16-35L abaord. tripod mounted of course.

enjoy (night shooting) photography,

Comments

• Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2004
    Again my jaw hits the floor! My dentist Loves you Andy.eek7.gif

Tim
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    Again my jaw hits the floor! My dentist Loves you Andy.eek7.gif

Tim
    Well, they are good shots, but, well, they are very good shots. Unfortunately, I think Andy has reached the point where we would expect very good shots from him, and he would not give us less.

On the guy with the crabs, Andy, how did you get the nerve to ask him to do that. I love it, it is such a classic in my mind.

The boats, I think I could match you for that, don't know if the background would be as good as there are restaurants in that place. Here it is called Shem Creek. On the road/bridge that goes over the "creek", I have often seen photographers, more at other times of the year, when the sun is at its most spectacular there, but photographers with pro equipment set up there and photographers with disposables. It is an impressive place that I have never shot.

I didn't do scenics, and particularly not that one. But I am up for it now. I did notice that your focusing is razor sharp, I was impressed with the name on the boat being as sharp as it is.

Any hints there? I wondered where your other shots were, knew you were not at the bridge the entire time, at least didn't think so. How do you know where to set up for the bridge shots. I am still looking. Those areas are so built up.......... well, the one I used to use is, and I am still angry about that. Twenty years ago, I used to drive up a hill, not often used for cars, except for teenagers and such, but it was a great vantage point.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2004
    thanks tim and ginger! ...
    i shot twenty frames of the crab guy, over about 15 minutes. he was a ham. i got an even better shot of him, same pose, but there was a blowout-white light that ruined the shot. so, as i was finishing, i motioned for him to give me one more of the same pose, but asked him to turn 90 degrees ... he was happy to do it.

re sharpness of nightshot work. boats especially - yeah you have to be careful. long exposure will cause the lettering and boat lines/cables to be blurry - even in "still" water. so i shot that one at 2secs i think- so you have to manage your exposure to a shorter shutter (higher iso and /or let more light in via a wider aperture. then, i used my nightshot processing (tutorial over in sid's hall of wisdom).

re photo locations: scout, scout, scout. take lots of notes as you drive by. buy an electronic voice note taker if you drive alone much. it really helps!

thanks again guys :D
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Well, they are good shots, but, well, they are very good shots. Unfortunately, I think Andy has reached the point where we would expect very good shots from him, and he would not give us less.

On the guy with the crabs, Andy, how did you get the nerve to ask him to do that. I love it, it is such a classic in my mind.

The boats, I think I could match you for that, don't know if the background would be as good as there are restaurants in that place. Here it is called Shem Creek. On the road/bridge that goes over the "creek", I have often seen photographers, more at other times of the year, when the sun is at its most spectacular there, but photographers with pro equipment set up there and photographers with disposables. It is an impressive place that I have never shot.

I didn't do scenics, and particularly not that one. But I am up for it now. I did notice that your focusing is razor sharp, I was impressed with the name on the boat being as sharp as it is.

Any hints there? I wondered where your other shots were, knew you were not at the bridge the entire time, at least didn't think so. How do you know where to set up for the bridge shots. I am still looking. Those areas are so built up.......... well, the one I used to use is, and I am still angry about that. Twenty years ago, I used to drive up a hill, not often used for cars, except for teenagers and such, but it was a great vantage point.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2004
    Andy, what time of night are you shooting your bridges and other outdoor night shots???

I have read, in the 70s I read it, that the best time to shoot "night" was just before night, that afterwards, when it is really dark is not a good time. Except indoors, of course.

Your outdoor shots appear to be shot before complete dark, I was wondering how you felt about this, on the timing and all.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2004
    Really nice shots, Andy. And as usual, just fantastic notes. Reading your posts is an education. Thanks for your generosity.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Andy, what time of night are you shooting your bridges and other outdoor night shots???

I have read, in the 70s I read it, that the best time to shoot "night" was just before night, that afterwards, when it is really dark is not a good time. Except indoors, of course.

Your outdoor shots appear to be shot before complete dark, I was wondering how you felt about this, on the timing and all.

ginger - i answered in the challenge thread, too... your question.

but here goes :D

for this type of night shooting, be in position just after sunset, and spend the next hour or hour and a half shooting - the light is lovely. some pleaces, like where i was in sf, are very bright all night - so it you can even shoot later in the evening. the bridge shot, was at 10pm - so little or no detail in the shadows, but that's okay ...
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Really nice shots, Andy. And as usual, just fantastic notes. Reading your posts is an education. Thanks for your generosity.
    Thanks Andy and thanks Sid for putting these night tutorials in the Hall of Wisdom.. it'll make good readin later.1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    thanks lynn and everyone
    lynnma wrote:
    Thanks Andy and thanks Sid for putting these night tutorials in the Hall of Wisdom.. it'll make good readin later.1drink.gif

really appreciate the feedback.