Options

Slideshow not always playing largest possible picture

dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
edited December 29, 2013 in Bug Reporting
I size my original pictures with 1080 pixel height and/or 1920 pixel width and it works well with the slideshow as it can fill the screen with the original picture.

With the new smugmug often every other picture or so is displayed at a smaller size which is not as desirable.

I'm also missing the adjustable speed, and the option of Random would be greatly appreciated.

Also the mouse pointer should disappear along with the navigation arrows, etc.

Cheers,
See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com

Comments

• Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Heya Dennis,

So you are saying you could have two photos back to back that are the same dimensions, but display in different sizes on the slideshow? Are they the same aspect ratio? Do you have an example for me to take a look at?

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Heya Dennis,

So you are saying you could have two photos back to back that are the same dimensions, but display in different sizes on the slideshow? Are they the same aspect ratio? Do you have an example for me to take a look at?

Thanks!

Here is an example gallery...

http://www.dennismullen.com/Galleries/Bonaire/Bonaire-11

In this gallery for instance every picture has an original height of 1080 pixels. The aspect ratio will vary however.
    There is a strong tendency to play the X2 size instead of the original, but sometimes it will play the original. It varies.

I have a 1920 x 1200 monitor and with the old smugmug the gallery slideshow would always play the original.
    Even the occasional 16x9 ratio pictures would be edge to edge.
    Now they are only occasionaly played at the original size which lowers the impact of the slideshow.

Update: This is even worse as it switches from gallery to gallery......

http://www.dennismullen.com/keyword/_all_pictures

Cheers,
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    Still having this problem which is a big step backwards.
    Any progress?

Cheers,
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    This problem also exhibits itself in the lightbox full screen view where the picture sizes do not use the largest possible size unless you manually select them.

Cheers,
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    In spite of the fact that all of my original pictures have a height of 1080, in the new smugmug some have a choice of X3-Large and some only X2-Large.
    The problem is the Fill option seems to be used to decide what size the displayed picture is and the new smugmug doesn't acknowledge the Original size.
    This causes the new smugmug gallery slide show to sometimes use the X2-Large even though the Original size would easily fit on the screen.

Cheers,
  • Options
    kenn3dkenn3d Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    In spite of the fact that all of my original pictures have a height of 1080, in the new smugmug some have a choice of X3-Large and some only X2-Large.
    The problem is the Fill option seems to be used to decide what size the displayed picture is and the new smugmug doesn't acknowledge the Original size.
    This causes the new smugmug gallery slide show to sometimes use the X2-Large even though the Original size would easily fit on the screen.

Cheers,

Yes... As posted a week ago here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=233388&page=2
    kenn3d wrote: »
    Ok, I'm kinda talking to myself here... but maybe someone will hear me and help me understand what I thought I knew.
    I was testing our above mentioned HD Gallery (New SM version but not yet unveiled) on my Nexus 7 tablet using Chrome for Android this afternoon. This tablet has a high-res display of 1920x1200 pixels and to my great delight and surprise, the HD slideshow does indeed display full-screen 1920x1080!?!
    So now I must believe there is some other reason why it doesn't do so on our 2 Chrome/Windows7 PCs.

Lamah? or Anyone?

Kenn
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    The basic problem is smugmug has stopped using the Original size as one of the sizes when it generates a full screen slideshow. (or in lightbox)
    If you choose Fill as a size choice in lightbox it will not choose Original size either, even though it would fit in my case.

Cheers,
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    I don't think anyone would want their originals exposed without their watermarks.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    I don't think anyone would want their originals exposed without their watermarks.

Plainly that is not true as you responded to someone who does.

I have been using smugmug for years and have always had nice full screen X3 sizes in the gallery slideshow by making a standard height of 1080 pixels.
    I have many 1920 x 1080 pictures and they always displayed edge to edge on my 1920 x 1200 monitor. Now they display as a smaller X2 size.
    I put frames around many of my 3 x 2 aspect ratio pictures and make them with a height of 1080 pixels.
    This causes the aspect ratio to change and they end up 1593 x 1080. So now they only display at the X2 size.

I have almost 5000 pictures that were carefully designed to play with the gallery slideshow at a full size.
    This is years of work and they always displayed properly as the original size. Now a change has been made and it is all ruined!

The change is the gallery slideshow no longer plays my original size that I very carefully picked so they wouldn't need to be resized.
    Again, the gallery slideshow has worked for years playing every picture with a height of 1080 pixels just as I intended.
    Now the original size will no longer play on most pictures. When I think of all the work I did and what it would take to redo thousands of pictures it makes me want to scream.

I have the maximum gallery display size set to Original.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    Plainly that is not true as you responded to someone who does.

I have been using smugmug for years and have always had nice full screen X3 sizes in the gallery slideshow by making a standard height of 1080 pixels.
    I have many 1920 x 1080 pictures and they always displayed edge to edge on my 1920 x 1200 monitor. Now they display as a smaller X2 size.
    I put frames around many of my 3 x 2 aspect ratio pictures and make them with a height of 1080 pixels.
    This causes the aspect ratio to change and they end up 1593 x 1080. So now they only display at the X2 size.

I have almost 5000 pictures that were carefully designed to play with the gallery slideshow at a full size.
    This is years of work and they always displayed properly as the original size. Now a change has been made and it is all ruined!

The change is the gallery slideshow no longer plays my original size that I very carefully picked so they wouldn't need to be resized.
    Again, the gallery slideshow has worked for years playing every picture with a height of 1080 pixels just as I intended.
    Now the original size will no longer play on most pictures. When I think of all the work I did and what it would take to redo thousands of pictures it makes me want to scream.

I have the maximum gallery display size set to Original.

ne_nau.gif I see X3 for all your images in the underwater gallery you linked.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    Andy wrote: »

Assuming you are looking at the gallery of Bonaire pictures.

http://www.dennismullen.com/Galleries/Bonaire/Bonaire-11

The portrait oriented pictures only have a largest size of X2-Large. On the other hand the 16 x 9 pictures have a size of X3-Large but that isn't large enough to show the 1920x1080 size they are supposed to show at. The 3 x 2 pictures only have a X2-Large size so are not shown with a 1080 vertical size unless they don't have a frame in which case they show at the right size because they then have a horizontal size of 1600 which allows them to have a X3-Large size and they show with a 1080 vertical size as intended.

None of this would matter if the Original size was recognized as a choice as every original size has a vertical size of 1080 as I intended.
    The Slideshow should show every picture with a vertical size of 1080. This is how it always worked until recently.

Cheers,
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013

Just for the record, here is a screen shot of the first picture in that gallery.
    Note that there is no X3 size.

smugmug-X3.jpg

Cheers,
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2013
    Just for the record, here is a screen shot of the first picture in that gallery.
    Note that there is no X3 size.

smugmug-X3.jpg

Cheers,
    Images get borked for lots of reasons. You have two remedies:

1) replace the image

2) email the heroes and ask them to "repair" it.

SmugMug depends on BIG IMAGES now :) If I were you I'd upload FULL RES originals, then block Originals - and allow X3 size.
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2013

1) replace the image

SmugMug depends on BIG IMAGES now :) If I were you I'd upload FULL RES originals, then block Originals - and allow X3 size.

The Original size is no longer being used as one of the available sizes in the slideshow, etc. even though it can be manually selected!
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    Dennis,

I really don't see any issue here. Your original files (like the one you refer to in the post above) is only 1593px on the long edge. Since the original needs to be at least 1600px to display an X-3 size, we can't provide a viewing size that we don't have. See this help page

Screen%20Shot%202013-08-30%20at%2012.44.21%20AM-X3.png
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    That's the way it is now, but that isn't the way it used to be. The original size was one of the display sizes!
    For years because all my pictures displayed with the Original Size it made every picture 1080 pixels tall in the slideshow.

All my 1920 x 1080 pictures which always displayed in the gallery full screen slideshow edge to edge without scaling on my 1920 x 1200 monitor now display at only 1600 x 900.
    I will say it one more time. Up until recently the Original Size was one of the available sizes in the gallery slideshow.

"The nine sizes of smugmug
    Most photo sharing sites shrink your originals to save space. Not us.
    With SmugMug, you get to keep every pixel forever and show them as big as your screen will allow."

Size%20Chart-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2013
    I conducted an experiment and uploaded a 16 x 9 aspect ratio full size picture from my camera with dimensions of 6000 x 3375 pixels.
    Even that only plays in the Gallery Slideshow at 1600 x 900 not even coming close to filling my 1920 x 1200 monitor.

Up until recently the Original Size was one of the available sizes in the gallery slideshow.
    Even if X4 and X5 sizes were added it still wouldn't repair my carefully crafted slideshows using pictures that would not need to be rescaled.
    All these years the Gallery Slideshow would play my 1920 x 1080 pictures edge to edge on that same monitor.

So much for...

With SmugMug, you get to keep every pixel forever and show them as big as your screen will allow."

Size%20Chart-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    This isn't fixed or put on the active bug list yet!

Cheers,
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2013
    Still not addressed!
  • Options
    edited September 20, 2013
    Hello!
  • Options
    iraisokiraisok Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 21, 2013
    New Smugmug - NO FULL SCREEN Slideshow!
    Hi,

Here is the REAL HONEST ANSWER from SmugMug support when I noticed that New Beautiful SmugMug was missing two Legacy features (that are major reasons for me to subscribe):

On Sept 1, 2013, 7:27AM, I e-mailed SmugMug heroes:
    Checking back - have you reestablished two features that worked in legacy:
    1. Full screen slideshow (not based on x3 or whatever).
    2. Play music at other site? Provide for entering HTML to link to other site?
    If no, when will these features be implemented in New?

Ira
    On Sept 1, 2013, 4:47PM, I received this response:
    Hello Ira,
    Thanks for contacting SmugMug support :)
    Both of these features have been requested, but they haven't been implemented quite yet. We don't have a timeline on them, but we hope to see them soon!
    Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Kind Regards,

Amanda
    SmugMug Support Hero
    Bottomline:

SmugMug can boast how beautiful "New Smugmug" thumbnails and features are but without FULL SCREEN SLIDESHOW and the ability to enter simply HTML to play music at another one of my sites (as done in Legacy), New is not complete. So, please do not point at any of the subscribers asking about their image sizes. We have not changed a thing. We have tested our galleries in the new SmugMug and for me, I will not use it. These items are functional.

Best if we all e-mail SmugMug Heroes [herodesk@smugmug.com] and tell them we want these items incorporated - moving priorities higher to get these in ASAP.

I'll probably not renew my subscription if this does not happen. I was just renewed two (2) days prior to the NEW SmugMug kick off dog and pony show - the jumping on the stage the use of "Beautiful" over a hundred times and all the clapping on command ... but not telling all that was NOT included in the "New SmugMug", whether planned (that would be fine) or worse (not intended).

I was told I'd be notified when these two items are incorporated as I believe I was the first to report the omission. If/whenever it happens I promise to post again.

Ira

Dennis,

I really don't see any issue here. Your original files (like the one you refer to in the post above) is only 1593px on the long edge. Since the original needs to be at least 1600px to display an X-3 size, we can't provide a viewing size that we don't have. See this help page

Screen%20Shot%202013-08-30%20at%2012.44.21%20AM-X3.png
  • Options
    Dennis,

Your original photo is 1593px wide. That isn't an X2 or X3 I showed. It's the original photo. If you want the x3 size in your slideshow, you must upload a bigger res photo.

The full screen slide show is in the works, and that may upsize the images (although they will be grainy since we would be upsizing)
  • Options
    Dennis,

Your original photo is 1593px wide. That isn't an X2 or X3 I showed. It's the original photo. If you want the x3 size in your slideshow, you must upload a bigger res photo.

The full screen slide show is in the works, and that may upsize the images (although they will be grainy since we would be upsizing)

I explain everything very carefully but you just don't read it. The Original size is/was one of the displayable sizes. IT ALWAYS WORKED BEFORE!!!

I don't want an upsized picture. The slideshow should use the original size if it is the largest size that fits on the screen.

Size%20Chart-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2013
    Dennis,

We have never created custom display sizes less than 1600px. We even say it in the screenshot you show.

Example: If your original photo is between SmugMug's Large and XLarge sizes, we'll only create the Small, Medium, Large, and Thumbnail display copies

Your photo is between the X2 and X3 size, therefore, the largest DISPLAY size we create is 1280, which is what is displayed in your slideshow.
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins

The Original size is no longer being used as one of the available sizes in the slideshow, etc. even though it can be manually selected!
    It amazes me how no one will respond correctly or with comprehension of the two main points here, which I bolded, & turned the crucial parts red. I fear this is another thing that's going to give me problems; that's partly why I care. My homepage slideshow on Legacy comes from an Unlisted gallery, & is full of photos I cropped purposely in 1:2 ratio, & the originals are accessed in the slideshow & fill the screen. Why is the "Original" option there (shown in screenshots here) if those originals aren't going to get used in the slideshow? That's highly confusing to people. No one wants their photos up-sized unless they need to be. Is regular gallery behavior getting confused with slideshow behavior? I mean, we all understand why display sizes are created for SmugMug style galleries, etc. But this doesn't make sense. Because... no one is yet addressing the fact that all these same photos that he cropped & framed used to work fine, for this same purpose. I find it strange there's no acknowledgment of this.

Or... is this what's meant by the "Fullscreen Slideshow" which is not yet available? If so, I understand, but still, that "Original" option shouldn't be there if it's not going to be used. Too confusing.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    iraisokiraisok Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    New SmugMug does not yet show FULL SCREEN slideshow or ...
    Andy,

Please, please do not ask any subscribers to change a thing. Smugmug heroes eventually admitted to me in an email that "NEW and BEAUTIFUL" Smugmug does NOT, repeat NOT show images full screen like Old Legacy. I had to show them screen shots of each and eventually got them to admit it and yes they talked about x3 nonsense. Nor does NEW allow you to play music hosted at some other site (in my case other webspace I pay for) via HTML commands. I was told they are considering adding both features. No date yet.

I was told I'd be notified when they are incorporated. If/when, I'll post for all to know. Until both Legacy features are available in NEW, I won't go there or send anyone to NEW.

Ira

1) replace the image

• Options
    edited October 4, 2013
    No way will a 1920 x 1080 picture play at this size in the gallery slideshow.
    This is a huge disappointment after sizing thousands of pictures for optimal viewing.

It always worked before!
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2013
    Dennis,

Please re-test this and let me know
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2013
    Dennis,

Please re-test this and let me know

Nothing has changed. If you upload a 1920 x 1080 picture it will get a X3 copy but it will not be 1920 x 1080.

The only pictures that size properly for me are the ones that are exactly 1600 x 1080.
    The fact that I add frames makes most of my 3:2 aspect ratio pictures with a vertical height of 1080 have a horizontal width less then 1600 so they end up with a largest copy of X2.
    So they aren't displayed at their original size even though they would fit on the screen.

None of this would be a problem if "Original Size" was one of the display sizes like it's supposed to be.
    "Fill" on the sizes drop down list will not pick "Original Size". In fact the only way you can see the "Original Size" is to go into the light box and manually select it from the list.
    It is not used in the slide shows either.

"Original Size" was always used just like another display size before, and was used when it was appropriate.

Some people do not want their pictures rescaled, if possible, and size and sharpen their pictures for ideal viewing.

"Original Size" is the ninth size on the smugmug display sizes list.

Size%20Chart-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2013
    I tried again and the slide shows are working correctly now. Are you using my original size picture or stretching a smaller one?
    The default light box is still not using the original size even when opened full screen though.

It is an improvement!

Cheers,