Options

Favicon not working

juanherediajuanheredia Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
edited November 19, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
If you go to "Customize | Customize Site | Entire Site | Settings" you get the "Design Settings" dialog box. There you have the option to choose a Favicon for your site.

Did somebody get it working? What kind/type of image should it be?

Comments

• Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    Not working for me either
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    G-ForceG-Force Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    Not working for me either. :(
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
  • Options
    wootenwooten Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    I imagine since there is now a forum just for 'new' smugmug customization, we'll want to keep this thread alive more than the old once that is in the 'legacy' forum.

Still not working here. Image that I used before worked, doesn't now. I've tried uploading a 16x16 8 bit image myself, it doesn't work. I've tried an image in a public folder, it doesn't work.

Seems like such a relatively simple thing to get working...
  • Options
    photosbymophotosbymo Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    I have the same problem... Guess there's no solution yet???
  • Options
    BrianLBrianL Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 5, 2013
    I'm joining the thread because I cannot solve this puzzle either. This entry (http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1249011-how-to-add-a-favicon-in-new-smugmug) appeared in the SmugMug Help shortly after the launch and I thought "YES" but sadly it simply states the obvious...and so far that doesn't seem to work, for anyone.

- Brian
  • Options
    JulianBJulianB Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Me too. It's little but it all counts.
    I joining the queue for updates to this one also. I'm pretty sure I got the file format and size correct. It's just the path in the customization window never seems to stick?

-j
    I replaced my car headlights with strobelights. Now it looks like I'm the only one moving.

www.julianbutler.com
  • Options
    officialphotographerofficialphotographer Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    I'll jump on the favicon train too. Tickets $2, solutions .... priceless. Should stop drinking and messing with my site Laughing.gif ;-P
  • Options
    jdwljdwl Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    I'll jump on the favicon train too. Tickets $2, solutions .... priceless. Should stop drinking and messing with my site Laughing.gif ;-P

same here !
  • Options
    botpixbotpix Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    +1
    Drew Lockwood
    ---
    www.mybotpix.com (smugmug)
    www.botpix.com (wordpress)
  • Options
    rkw624rkw624 Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Same here! - Rich
    www.fourmilephotography.com
    Rich
  • Options
    hendiehendie Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    Me 2
  • Options
    einateinat Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    I wrote the help-desk about this. They solved it (works on g-chrome, not on IE-10).
    But though I have repeatedly asked them "how?", they never answered.

So...
    Write to them too!
    I wish I knew how to fix it myself, for future changes.
  • Options
    cookiejaycookiejay Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    I'm trying with FF, IE and Chrome. Nothing works :(
  • Options
    JuanSPhotoJuanSPhoto Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited August 7, 2013
    This is irritating because they keep giving the same directions. It's a very simple process. I'm doing it correctly. It's just not saving. I emailed the help desk with a link to the image I was using. They got the image working and I'm too afraid to try it again and mess it up. How many people have to complain before you admit there's a problem? I don't mind there being problems. It's a new product. I actually love the new smugmug. I understand some people contact help desk about very simple issues and complain. But not everyone. My favicon doesn't show in IE10 because IE10 doesn't support jpg favicons. But IE11 beta shows it just fine btw.
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    Bump - Having the same problem here. I did go look at the wikipedia article mentioned in the support page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon) It seems that the .ICO format is the most compatible across browsers. However the ICO extension on an image is not compatible for uploading. I get an error when attempting to upload. I did upload a PNG file. This file fails when attempting to make it a favicon when using the interface.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2013
    JuanSPhoto wrote: »
    This is irritating because they keep giving the same directions. It's a very simple process. I'm doing it correctly. It's just not saving. I emailed the help desk with a link to the image I was using. They got the image working and I'm too afraid to try it again and mess it up. How many people have to complain before you admit there's a problem? I don't mind there being problems. It's a new product. I actually love the new smugmug. I understand some people contact help desk about very simple issues and complain. But not everyone. My favicon doesn't show in IE10 because IE10 doesn't support jpg favicons. But IE11 beta shows it just fine btw.

It wasn't working on g-chrome either until they intervened. I tried and tried, checked an -rechecked the hepl articles. If only they added a temporary clause there, saying that it's a known issue that they will look into, it would save time - both for users and help heroes.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2013
    I did it before using this guide http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/683257-can-i-make-my-own-favicon-

But now, since we don't have the option for HEAD HTML tag. It's not possible.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2013
    I was having a problem saving the favicon. I would save but it wouldn't stick. After support did it, I can see that the favicon is saved. And they used my jpg. I tried jpg, png, and gif and none saved when I tried. I didn't get an error. It just didn't save.

This is what they sent me.

Hi Juan,

Thank you for contacting SmugMug.

I have gone in and gotten the favicon to work by following these steps. I ended up using the first one in that gallery. I hope that one works for you.

customize > customize site > entire site > settings at top right hand side of the page > favicon > click the image icon to choose one > done > save > done > publish now

Please let us know if we can do anything else to assist you.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2013
    BTW I haven't tried it again since they got it working. I do want to make it bigger. I created a 16X16 image. It looks too small. I want to try a 32X32 image next.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2013
    JuanSPhoto wrote: »
    I was having a problem saving the favicon. I would save but it wouldn't stick. After support did it, I can see that the favicon is saved. And they used my jpg. I tried jpg, png, and gif and none saved when I tried. I didn't get an error. It just didn't save.

This is what they sent me.

Hi Juan,

Thank you for contacting SmugMug.

I have gone in and gotten the favicon to work by following these steps. I ended up using the first one in that gallery. I hope that one works for you.

customize > customize site > entire site > settings at top right hand side of the page > favicon > click the image icon to choose one > done > save > done > publish now

Please let us know if we can do anything else to assist you.

Did you try it to see that it works? I didn't dare try anything, though they did not send me these instructions.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2013
    I got this Answer from help desk

Thanks for writing. A favicon must be a 16x16 file and PNG and JPG are common formats. Please note that not all formats will work with all browsers per the end of the instructions at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1249011-new-add-a-favicon.

I hope this helps!

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk 4
  • Options
    JodiCrandellPhotographyJodiCrandellPhotography Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    I got this Answer from help desk

Thanks for writing. A favicon must be a 16x16 file and PNG and JPG are common formats. Please note that not all formats will work with all browsers per the end of the instructions at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1249011-new-add-a-favicon.

I hope this helps!

Meet all the specs, 16 x 16 png... still not working.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    Yes, I did the same. I met all the specifications and nothing.
    So I wrote back and they did it for me.

This is the reply:

AUG 08, 2013 | 01:52AM PDT
    Hi Juan,

We are having problems where users favicon settings are not applied.
    I set it for you. http://screencast.com/t/2Ysr1uXeN
    Please refresh your page and if you don't see it please try clearing your browser cache, then close your browser and restart it for the changes to take effect.

http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser?-Cache
    http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95582

Thanks,
  • Options
    jdwljdwl Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Yes, I did the same. I met all the specifications and nothing.
    So I wrote back and they did it for me.

This is the reply:

AUG 08, 2013 | 01:52AM PDT
    Hi Juan,

We are having problems where users favicon settings are not applied.
    I set it for you. http://screencast.com/t/2Ysr1uXeN
    Please refresh your page and if you don't see it please try clearing your browser cache, then close your browser and restart it for the changes to take effect.

http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser?-Cache
    http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95582

Thanks,

so whats the solution? everyone hast to write to SmugMug Support to get this thing done?
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    jdwl wrote: »
    so whats the solution? everyone hast to write to SmugMug Support to get this thing done?

Yes, they don't provide a solution officially. Maybe they still working on it.

• Options
    JulianBJulianB Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Hey gang,

Mbonocore in the bug-reporting section has acknowledged that it's an issue and they're looking into it: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=236587&page=3
    So hopefully we'll get some movement on it soon. Juan H I cleared my browser cache hoping it'd magically appear for me, but no luck. It's still not appearing in
    the settings interface either.

-j
    I replaced my car headlights with strobelights. Now it looks like I'm the only one moving.

www.julianbutler.com
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    JulianB wrote: »
    Hey gang,

Mbonocore in the bug-reporting section has acknowledged that it's an issue and they're looking into it: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=236587&page=3
    So hopefully we'll get some movement on it soon. Juan H I cleared my browser cache hoping it'd magically appear for me, but no luck. It's still not appearing in
    the settings interface either.

-j

Strange. It's working for me. I'm using Google Chrome and Firefox.

• Options
    :jonah:jonah Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 8, 2013
    Favicon not working for me
    ne_nau.gif. I have tried .gif,.png,16x16,24x24 it just will not stick. Anyone done this without hero help?
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    They know about it. Got this reply this morning. I've got other issues to resolve now.
    Hi David,
    Thank you for contacting SmugMug support,
    We are seeing issues where users favicons settings are not staying.
    If you copy and paste a link to your favicon in a gallery, we can set it for you.

Thanks,

SmugMug Support Hero