Options

How can I delete default custom design?

nfocuznfocuz Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited August 7, 2013 in SmugMug Support
Not sure have to explain this but here it goes.

I'm still re-customizing my site due the change so I'm still in transition mode. Since I was running blind on guidance I choose a design just to see how it looked. It appears this site is now the default site under my designs.

I have since started another design that I have done a lot of customization and this is the design I want to be my default design (my only design). However, every time I exit the preview of the design I'm working on, it returns to the default design (the one I don't want). I have to restart from the beginning to get back to the section I'm working on. EVERY TIME! How do I delete the design I don't want or make another custom design the default. When I hover over the design under My Designs, I only get the edit option. I tried drag and drop and that didn't work either.

Comments

• Options
    macromeistermacromeister Registered Users Posts: 490 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    When you are working on your design and you click DONE are you publishing it? If you don't then I think I'm right in saying you won't see the changes. It is only when you UNVEIL that everyone else will see it. Someone please tell me that's right!
    I'm Rob Ashcroft - MACROMEISTER IMAGES . . . .
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2013
    I'm not publishing it. The changes that I made are there. But every time I EXIT out of the PREVIEW mode, it take me to the first custom design. I then have to select Done, answer No to Publish. I then have to select, Customize, Choose a New Custom Design, Hover over the design that I'm working on (second one in My Designs), select Edit, and then drill down to the point I was working on from the beginning.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2013
    nfocuz wrote: »
    I'm not publishing it. The changes that I made are there. But every time I EXIT out of the PREVIEW mode, it take me to the first custom design. I then have to select Done, answer No to Publish. I then have to select, Customize, Choose a New Custom Design, Hover over the design that I'm working on (second one in My Designs), select Edit, and then drill down to the point I was working on from the beginning.

See item 7. http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1248283-new-smugmug-faq You should be the only person to see any customized changes on the new system, until you eventually UNVEIL, which is a permanent move. I think you need to publish changes so you can see them outside of editing, but othersd can only see them when you unveil - so don't do that bit yet.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    I noticed you can not get out of customize unless you pick "publish later" or "publish".
    The is no cancel pick or revert or undo.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2013
    I'm obviously not explaining this correctly.

The point is that when I exit Preview, it takes me to the first design in the My Designs. Not the one I'm working on.

For example. I have two custom designs under "My Designs". They are named Copy of Zoe and Copy of SmugMug. When I hover over "Copy of Zoe" (first design on list) I get the option of Edit. When I hover over "Copy of SmugMug" (the site I want and that has all of my customizations on), I get the options of Edit and Delete.

For "Copy of SmugMug" I select EDIT. The screen correctly shows, CUSTOMIZE SITE "Copy of SmugMug". I Do my editing and select PREVIEW to view my changes. When I select EXIT from the preview, the screen returns to CUSTOMIZE "Copy of Zoe", NOT "Copy of SMUGMUG".

A better question would be is how do I delete "Copy of Zoe" when there is no delete option?
  • Options
    skibumtxskibumtx Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    nfocuz, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I was having the same problem, you can edit or delete the 2nd design, but only edit the first. I was not even sure which would publish when I finally went live. I did publish my 2nd design, and it worked fine. Once you publish, then you can delete the one you don't want.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2013
    For "Copy of SmugMug" I select EDIT. The screen correctly shows, CUSTOMIZE SITE "Copy of SmugMug". I Do my editing and select PREVIEW to view my changes. When I select EXIT from the preview, the screen returns to CUSTOMIZE "Copy of Zoe", NOT "Copy of SMUGMUG".

That may be because you need to click PUBLISH. Are you doing that? If not you may revert to the wrong one.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2013
    Thank you skibumtx. My problem though is that I'm not even near being complete with the new design. So unless I can delete the first design without going live, I will be wasting a lot of time. Thanks again SM for keeping your thumb pressed down on the design community.
  • Options
    LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    Thank you skibumtx. My problem though is that I'm not even near being complete with the new design. So unless I can delete the first design without going live, I will be wasting a lot of time. Thanks again SM for keeping your thumb pressed down on the design community.

PUBLISH is not the same as UNVEIL or going live!

PUBLISH is just you choosing to go with the design you have been working on. Unless you commit to PUBLISH it will always revert to the one you were working on before. When you have finished the design you have PUBLISHED you would then and only then go live by clicking on UNVEIL.

I have PUBLISHED half a dozen design choices so far and deleted a few of my initial attempts completely but the public are still only seeing my Legacy site because I am yet to UNVEIL. You can continue to work on or delete as many PUBLISHED designs as you like before deciding on the best one. Once you have more than one PUBLISHED design you can either click on the wrench to continue to edit it or the bin to delete it.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2013
    Thanks. I will try this. I caulk this up to a lack of instructions on SM and their nomenclature. Because it certainly isn't intuitive or standard.
  • Options
    Mike55YUMike55YU Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    I have this same issue. I am afraid that if I hit Publish, then my legacy site will no longer be available to the public. Can you doubly confirm that this is not the case?
  • Options
    LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    Mike55YU wrote: »
    I have this same issue. I am afraid that if I hit Publish, then my legacy site will no longer be available to the public. Can you doubly confirm that this is not the case?

The only reason you are having the 'issue' is because you are not hitting Publish. Your legacy site will only be overwritten once you Unveil which is another procedure entirely and very hard to do by accident.

'Publish' was a poor term to choose by Smugmug as it implies that it will go public. Just think of it more like 'Preview' and you will be fine. As I said, I have half a dozen Published designs to play with so far although I'm pretty sure I have settled on the one I want to keep and 'Unveil' now.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2013
    No worries. I was corrected earlier. Publish is not the same as Unveil. After making your changes, publish the design (this makes it the default). Then you can select the other designs and delete them. Only when you Unveil your site to the public do you get screwed.

I also found this buried in SM FAQ section. Although my exhaustive explanation was more in-depth than theirs.
  • Options
    JillLangJillLang Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    nfocuz, thanks for asking this question! It was driving me nuts.
    Jill

My SmugMug Site

My African Grey Video