Options

Full Breadcrumb is missing the "browse" level

pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
edited August 12, 2013 in Bug Reporting
If I use the standard "browse" page (all folders), and navigate from there, the breadcrumb is incomplete. I have the "full breadcrumb on" setting, but the "browse" is missing from the breadcrumb.

For example, I have a top-level folder called "Trips". If I click "browse" in the menu, then click "Trips", I would expect the breadcrumb to contain my full trail back home. So I expect:
Home -> Browse -> Trips

Instead I get:
Home -> Trips

I can't get back to the folder listing without going back to the menu. Not a top priority but this seems buggy.

Comments

• Options
    JulianBJulianB Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    I have similar issues. I expected to be able to navigate by the breadcrumb also, ie: Home->Other->Hipstamatic should take me to that gallery. When I click on 'Other' I expect to be able to see the galleries at that level but I cannot. I'm taken back to 'Home'? This is quite unintuitive?

-j
    I replaced my car headlights with strobelights. Now it looks like I'm the only one moving.

www.julianbutler.com
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    JulianB wrote: »
    I have similar issues. I expected to be able to navigate by the breadcrumb also, ie: Home->Other->Hipstamatic should take me to that gallery. When I click on 'Other' I expect to be able to see the galleries at that level but I cannot. I'm taken back to 'Home'? This is quite unintuitive?

-j

JulianB - any chance you set your "All Folders" customization to show recent galleries and all galleries rather than just setting your "browse" folder to show that? You would need to "Make this page custom" for the browse folder, then leave the "All Folders" set to show galleries at "current location"
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2013
    JulianB - any chance you set your "All Folders" customization to show recent galleries and all galleries rather than just setting your "browse" folder to show that? You would need to "Make this page custom" for the browse folder, then leave the "All Folders" set to show galleries at "current location"

Hmmmm, no. I have an "All Folders" content block set to show a limited amount of recent galleries, and and "All Folders" content block showing a manual selection of galleries. I have a breadcrumb block for "All Folders" displaying the full breadcrumb path too. Navigating into a folder displays the full path but then the resulting gallery is in a folder and clicking on that folder in the breadcrumb doesn't take me into that folder, but back to my 'browse' page.

It does look like I need to review the whole folder/gallery arrangement of my site, my information architecture is not friendly to the breadcrumb setup currently it seems...

Am I doing this all wrong?

-j
    I replaced my car headlights with strobelights. Now it looks like I'm the only one moving.

www.julianbutler.com
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    You set all folders to pull specific galleries. So now every folder will show those specific galleries.

You need to set all folders back to "current location" and then navigate to /browse and "make this page custom" before you select specific galleries/folders

(I think...)
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 7, 2013
    We're making some changes to make this more clear, but most people will want the Folders and Galleries content blocks on their "All Folders" level to select from current location. So whichever folder page you visit, it will show the sub-folders and galleries associated with that particular folder.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2013
    Sheaf wrote: »
    We're making some changes to make this more clear, but most people will want the Folders and Galleries content blocks on their "All Folders" level to select from current location. So whichever folder page you visit, it will show the sub-folders and galleries associated with that particular folder.

Ahhh, yes I just noticed a message up front about a folder/galleries change. Sadly, one of my content blocks on my 'browse' page is now only visible when I'm logged in, and gone for my visitors... I'm going to let the dust settle on this change before I tweak too much more stuff.. it's obviously still up in the air a bit.

-j

www.julianbutler.com
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Ahhh, yes I just noticed a message up front about a folder/galleries change. Sadly, one of my content blocks on my 'browse' page is now only visible when I'm logged in, and gone for my visitors... I'm going to let the dust settle on this change before I tweak too much more stuff.. it's obviously still up in the air a bit.

-j

Hi Julian, You can track that issue at http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=238066
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Sheaf wrote: »

@sheaf just a nudge if you're changing the breadcrumb, maybe this can be addressed at the same time?
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=238117

Been trying to work around it with CSS but not having any luck...
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Hi Julian, You can track that issue at http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=238066

Thank you! I'll keep an eye on that thread too.

-julian

www.julianbutler.com
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    You set all folders to pull specific galleries. So now every folder will show those specific galleries.

You need to set all folders back to "current location" and then navigate to /browse and "make this page custom" before you select specific galleries/folders

(I think...)

ok, thanks to you and some other tips on the smugmug help page I'm starting to understand it better. http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1213252

I still need to re-arrange my folders to better suit my redesign though. A friend managed to get his gallery and breadcrumb behaviour sorted out like this and it makes sense: www.brianlomas.com

-j

www.julianbutler.com
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    paulbrock wrote: »
    @sheaf just a nudge if you're changing the breadcrumb, maybe this can be addressed at the same time?
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=238117

Been trying to work around it with CSS but not having any luck...

Hi Paul, I thought a change we made today would have fixed that, but no luck...it's still happening on my iPhone. I have submitted it.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    ok, thanks to you and some other tips on the smugmug help page I'm starting to understand it better. http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1213252

I still need to re-arrange my folders to better suit my redesign though. A friend managed to get his gallery and breadcrumb behaviour sorted out like this and it makes sense: www.brianlomas.com

-j

Good to hear! Yea Breadcrumbs like tight organization! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »

This problem has just resolved itself, my Recent Galleries view has returned even when I'm logged out.

Onwards! thumb.gif

-julian

www.julianbutler.com
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    This problem has just resolved itself, my Recent Galleries view has returned even when I'm logged out.

Onwards! thumb.gif

-julian

Sweet!! Good to hear Julian!
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    ummmm look at the original post in this thread. Do not see that being addressed. I know there is a new thread concerning this.

Hey, in Quick Reply, can we get a notification button to use?
  • Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    I'm missing that "browse" in breadcrumb too. If a user selects a first/top-level folder and want to go back he has to select "HOME", "BROWSE" from the menu or he needs to push the back button in the browser. This is a bad design idea.

+1 Please add "browse" to breadcrumb!