Options

Gallery style "Thumbnails" always shows square thumbnails

phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
edited December 3, 2013 in Bug Reporting
I have set a gallery to "Thumbnails" and set "Square thumbnails" to OFF. I thought the photos would now appear in the original aspect ratio in a grid, but they are still shown as square thumbs.

I thought that was different before the update.

Comments

• Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    phaserbeam wrote: »
    I have set a gallery to "Thumbnails" and set "Square thumbnails" to OFF. I thought the photos would now appear in the original aspect ratio in a grid, but they are still shown as square thumbs.

I thought that was different before the update.
    Thumbnails style will show square thumbs. I'll enter in a feature request for original aspect ratio option.
  • Options
    sarahksarahk Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2013
    Phaserbeam, have you tried the Collage Landscape gallery style? My impression is that the new collage views are pretty much thumbnail style, but show the original aspect ratio (with either landscape or portrait orientation highlighted, depending on which you choose).
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2013
    sarahk wrote: »
    Phaserbeam, have you tried the Collage Landscape gallery style? My impression is that the new collage views are pretty much thumbnail style, but show the original aspect ratio (with either landscape or portrait orientation highlighted, depending on which you choose).

Already tested... and even when using collage style you can set square thumbs on/off. Does not make any sense of course. I think that option should be removed from the gallery settings dialog if thumbnails or collage style is selected or in thumbnails mode it should respect the square thumbs on/off setting and display either original aspect or square thumbs.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2013
    This "Square thumbs On/Off" does also not seem to work in the SmugMug gallery view.

I'm sure i had suqare thumbs off in some of my galleries on SM legacy since all photos were landscape. Now, with square thumbs off, the photos show up in original aspect ratio, but there is a lot of extra space between the single rows which make me think the position is calculated for square thumbs.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    Bump... please make "Square thumbs=Off" work in gallery settings when Gallery view is set to thumbnails.

Without that there is no way to display landscape photos in larger size and multiple columns while all photos should have the same size.

I tried collage landscape again, but even when all photos do have the same size (3000x2000px) the collage view displays sometimes 4, sometimes 3 photos in a row. That means the thumbs do not all have the same size.

I tried journal where all photos do have the same size and correct aspect ratio, but only one column.

I tried a custom page and multiple photos block. I get it to work so all thumbs do have the same size using grid and aspect ratio 3:2 (why do we not have "Original" here?), but the lightbox from here does not have all the panel and navigation tools.

Please make "Square thumbs=Off" work in gallery settings when Gallery view is set to thumbnails so all photos show up in original aspect ratio.
  • Options
    THOnlineTHOnline Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2013
    Standard aspect thumbnails- I second
    I second the request. At the very least, the Square Thumbs option should only show when it will actually achieve something different when its changed (at that seems very rare). But hopefully we can have it so that in Thumbnail gallery mode it will show the full aspect ratio, just fit into the square size box.
  • Options
    afxafx Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2013
    Yes please fix this. Messing up aspect ratios is not a good idea.

cheers
    afx
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2013
    When i was playing with different stuff on my site i found a reason why keep square thumbs=on even for collage landscape galleries. Not sure what it was, maybe search results or keyword search when you are using the SmugMug style as default gallery style. Did not reply here because i got a bit tired about reporting issues ...

Currently i do not use grid layout but use a custom page instead for galleries with landscape only photos. The lightbox seem to be fixed so this is the best way to do that.

Unless the keyword search is not fixed (independent gallery style with its own gallery settings) the square thumbs option should always be there, even for collage landscape galleries, because i use SM style as default and i want to have always suqare thumbs in here...

Btw: If you have custom cropped thumbnails... NEVER TOUCH THAT SQUARE_THUMBS OPTION! I did that by mistake on a gallery with hundreds of photos with custom crops, and all got reset when i set SQUARE_THUMBS to off and back on... :(