• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Support SmugMug Support SmugMug Feature Requests New smugmug - simple previous / next photo navigation gone?

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

They're back! Our latest series of Dgrin Challenges, the OOYCZ Challenges (Out of Your Comfort Zone), is a series of challenges to help you improve your photography by stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new. Our challenge leader says "Consider it like a photography class with no diplomas.". Get started with OOYCZ by reading the Challenge Guide.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 1  of  7
1 2 3 4 5 Last »
Old Jul-31-2013, 01:55 AM
alienmuppet is offline alienmuppet OP
Beginner grinner
New smugmug - simple previous / next photo navigation gone?
I'm on the fence at the moment about the changes. I tend to use "smugmug" mode for the gallery style, and the one thing so far that is annoying me is that the previous and next arrows for flicking through the photos in the gallery has gone. This might seem trivial, but when watching people flick through my photographs on the old smugmug, that is what they tend to use - and is also what I tend to use. Without that, you have to keep finding where you are in the collection of thumbnails on the left, and watching people do that, it seemed a little haphazard as they'd sometimes miss a photo or 2.

You could argue that people will just click on the thumbnail of the photo they want to see, but for some galleries I have the photos in order of taking and I'd like it to tell the story of the event the gallery represents. A lot of people just want to "look through" a gallery one by one.

I tried to customize the site and assumed there's be a "photo navigation" drag and drop, which seems a really obvious option to have, but I couldn't find one.

Am I missing something?

I know there is a previous and next when you click on the photo and go into full screen mode, but for some reason I prefer not to do that.

One other thing; I do miss the old "info" box that came up. It was far less intrusive (semi opaque), and easier to open as the little semi-opaque toolbar appeared over the photo just near where your mouse would be when using the previous / next navigation buttons...

PS - having said all that, great job on the writing of the new site; I'm a software engineer myself and can see a lot of work has gone into it, and I know how hard it is to please everyone..

Last edited by denisegoldberg; Aug-22-2013 at 05:41 AM.
Old Jul-31-2013, 03:09 AM
jasonscottphoto is offline jasonscottphoto
(I'm not Jason...)
I agree, this has me perplexed as well. Those arrows should have stayed...
Old Jul-31-2013, 04:49 AM
afx is offline afx
Big grins
Another vote for giving the users arrows. Most of them do not expect the cursor keys to work and are looking for the arrows.

cheers
afx
Old Jul-31-2013, 05:24 AM
anglotexian is offline anglotexian
Big grins
+1 The loss of these arrows is really frustrating and a pointless economy.
Old Jul-31-2013, 05:52 AM
paulbrock is offline paulbrock
Major grins
yup me too. The obvious way to navigate the Smugmug style.
Old Jul-31-2013, 06:28 AM
GaryBakker is offline GaryBakker
Major grins
I agree with the OP. Using the arrows is how I used to view my galleries too.

However, with the new site I found that the arrow keys on the keyboard accomplish the same result. But I don't think that will be intuitively obvious to the casual viewer.
Old Jul-31-2013, 08:36 AM
picturebike is offline picturebike
Major grins
yes this has me stumped now, ive put together a new site and am using old smug gallery style but the pref/next arrows are gone along with the first and last page jump, and also the page and picture numbers are now tiny and at the bottom of the pictures where they simply will get missed. This is very important to me as my clients almost always contact me to purchase giving page and picture numbers so this is stopping me going live with my new site..

to me a client could enter a gallery now and think there is only one page of pictures, i cant not understand the reasoning behind this, i also have no idea how a client can download a photo as the download image tab is as far as i can tell no longer supported.....
Old Jul-31-2013, 09:24 AM
glamman is offline glamman
Big grins
I agree with everyone.
Old Jul-31-2013, 03:27 PM
richW is offline richW
SmugMug QA
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienmuppet View Post
I'm on the fence at the moment about the changes. I tend to use "smugmug" mode for the gallery style, and the one thing so far that is annoying me is that the previous and next arrows for flicking through the photos in the gallery has gone. This might seem trivial, but when watching people flick through my photographs on the old smugmug, that is what they tend to use - and is also what I tend to use. Without that, you have to keep finding where you are in the collection of thumbnails on the left, and watching people do that, it seemed a little haphazard as they'd sometimes miss a photo or 2.

You could argue that people will just click on the thumbnail of the photo they want to see, but for some galleries I have the photos in order of taking and I'd like it to tell the story of the event the gallery represents. A lot of people just want to "look through" a gallery one by one.

I tried to customize the site and assumed there's be a "photo navigation" drag and drop, which seems a really obvious option to have, but I couldn't find one.

Am I missing something?

I know there is a previous and next when you click on the photo and go into full screen mode, but for some reason I prefer not to do that.

One other thing; I do miss the old "info" box that came up. It was far less intrusive (semi opaque), and easier to open as the little semi-opaque toolbar appeared over the photo just near where your mouse would be when using the previous / next navigation buttons...

PS - having said all that, great job on the writing of the new site; I'm a software engineer myself and can see a lot of work has gone into it, and I know how hard it is to please everyone..
Sounds like a great feature request... I'll pass it up the line.
Thank you all for your feedback..
Old Jul-31-2013, 10:08 PM
pbandj is offline pbandj
Major grins
Just adding my voice to the chorus here...I use the "previous" and "next" photo buttons to navigate in smugmug gallery style, and not having them in the new design is baffling...
Old Aug-01-2013, 07:52 AM
HamsterHuey is offline HamsterHuey
Big grins
Frankly, I think the entire navigation UI has gone several steps backwards. Sure, it looks nicer, but from a functionality and usability standpoint things have gotten worse. Obviously the lack of Next/Prev buttons is one big issue. The other is that they have chosen to replace all text based buttons with tiny icons. While the minimalism looks nice, it is really really unintuitive for non savvy users. There is absolutely no chance that my parents would ever find the tiny download icon and realize that they need to click it to download the original size images when I share a gallery with them to view. I share a lot of images with family members and the old Smugmug layout was simple, elegant and very functional. Not sure I can say the same about the new SM layout. It's all form over functionality.
Old Aug-01-2013, 08:12 AM
Grumpybeard is offline Grumpybeard
Beginner grinner
Agree with all above, its going to frustrate my family trying to navigate from one pic to the next (depending on theme used).
Old Aug-01-2013, 08:24 AM
Big grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpybeard View Post
Agree with all above, its going to frustrate my family trying to navigate from one pic to the next (depending on theme used).
I'm sure you'll get lots of questions about how to download images as well. Clearly "everyone" knows that a tiny icon with an downward pointing arrow and a line below it is the universal symbol for download image
Old Aug-01-2013, 08:31 AM
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterHuey View Post
Frankly, I think the entire navigation UI has gone several steps backwards. Sure, it looks nicer, but from a functionality and usability standpoint things have gotten worse. Obviously the lack of Next/Prev buttons is one big issue. The other is that they have chosen to replace all text based buttons with tiny icons. While the minimalism looks nice, it is really really unintuitive for non savvy users. There is absolutely no chance that my parents would ever find the tiny download icon and realize that they need to click it to download the original size images when I share a gallery with them to view. I share a lot of images with family members and the old Smugmug layout was simple, elegant and very functional. Not sure I can say the same about the new SM layout. It's all form over functionality.
i totally agree with you, im now warming to my new look site ive been playing with but i have a high volume turn over of pictures that when sold go in clients own galleries where they then click to download. the silly tiny icons will just not be seen.

same with the numbers, there now much smaller and hidden at the bottom, most of my clients look through my galleries then contact me with page and picture numbers they want, they now wont see then unless they scroll up. i use the smug style galleries with the thumbs on one side and big pic on other, it now can seem as if theres only one page of pictures when on average there dozens.

this is now the only sticking point thats going to stop me unveiling my site.

i understand the sleek look but even on my 27 inch screen i can hardly notice the icons :/
Old Aug-01-2013, 08:39 AM
Big grins
And it would still have been fine if we had javascript to inject custom buttons for downloading images (this already exists for legacy SM), but obviously that isn't happening either. I'm really not sure the consumer won when it came to this rollout. Maybe I am ignorant of Smugmugs primary target audience, but it looks like they are trying to go the way of Wordpress meets photo hosting, but their main market seems to be folks who use smugmug solely to sell prints or to host their photographs and share with friends and family. I'm not sure if either of the latter 2 are going to benefit from the update. As far as friends and family go, I don't even want to think about the number of questions I would get when they are trying to navigate the new Smugmug interface. And for selling prints, etc, there really seems to be no additions in features that actually makes that easier or things more intuitive for users to place orders. You'd think that they would have a whole bunch of features aimed at their "Pro" customers, but the entire update seems entirely focused on skinning/theming and prettying things up, while taking away functionality (intuitive UI, javascript, etc).

I'm just massively disappointed, and I'd still be okay with it since they tried to leave legacy smugmug untouched as an option, except that the migration process actually messed up a bunch of things on my legacy site when it shouldn't have if this was really sandboxed.

Trust in Smugmug is currently at an all time low...this after I've been raving about it to friends and family for the past few years.
Old Aug-01-2013, 08:48 AM
Major grins
i just know if i go live ill will end up with endless calls from existing clients returning to there galleries and suddenly the download tab has gone and they wont know how to get there pictures.. im a big smug fan but im having this feeling that they have gone all new flickr style and will just ignore us and march on regardless, what i dont get is theres the option to have the galleries in old smug style which im using so why change that as well, its gives us no options..
Old Aug-01-2013, 08:52 AM
paulbrock is offline paulbrock
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterHuey View Post
Maybe I am ignorant of Smugmugs primary target audience, but it looks like they are trying to go the way of Wordpress meets photo hosting, but their main market seems to be folks who use smugmug solely to sell prints or to host their photographs and share with friends and family. I'm not sure if either of the latter 2 are going to benefit from the update.

Correct, there is definitely a section of the market that would love to change the design of their site every week. For them, new smugmug is understandably awesome. A focus on the aesthetic suggests they are competing with flickr as somewhere for people to upload and show off their photos.

Back to the OP, this has been done at the expense of usability. Great for holiday snaps, but for people using it as a shopfront? I'm not so sure.
Old Aug-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Major grins
please take notice of this smugmug, dont be another Flickr!
Old Aug-01-2013, 09:53 AM
LouDoggsRuca is offline LouDoggsRuca
One day at a time
Mine seems to have the navigation arrows.

Name:  Arrows.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  56.8 KB
All Canon 50D w/Grip, XT w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8 580EXII 430EX
Old Aug-01-2013, 09:57 AM
denisegoldberg is offline denisegoldberg
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouDoggsRuca View Post
Mine seems to have the navigation arrows.
Those arrows are to go to the next page of thumbs. The arrows to go to the next photo are gone. The next photo arrows are present in lightbox but at the level up, the smugmug-style gallery.

I think viewers are going to want those arrows; it's easier to click on an arrow that is in the same spot on each screen than it is to need to move the mouse to click on a thumb to move to the next image.

--- Denise

Musings & ramblings at http://denisegoldberg.blogspot.com, quick posts in google+
Page 1  of  7
1 2 3 4 5 Last »
Tell The World!