Less Frequented Arizona Canyons: Rattlesnake, Owl & Mountain Sheep

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited August 12, 2013 in Landscapes
I planned to go to Upper and Lower Antelope Canyons as well, but had to boogie out for variety of reasons. For those two and some more hidden ones, I shall return.

As always appreciate all comments and helpful pointers!

1211_Castle_Dome_Signal_Peaks_0018-11-X2.jpg

1211_Castle_Dome_Signal_Peaks_0018-36-X2.jpg

1211_Castle_Dome_Signal_Peaks_0018-40-X2.jpg

1211_Castle_Dome_Signal_Peaks_0018-45-X2.jpg

1211_Castle_Dome_Signal_Peaks_0018-62-X2.jpg

1211_Castle_Dome_Signal_Peaks_0018-141-X2.jpg

1211_Castle_Dome_Signal_Peaks_0018-66-X2.jpg

1211_Castle_Dome_Signal_Peaks_0018-108-X2.jpg

1211_Castle_Dome_Signal_Peaks_0018-94-X2.jpg

1211_Castle_Dome_Signal_Peaks_0018-130-X2.jpg

Comments

• anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2013
    The trick with slots is always the sky. The only way to make the sky work is by taking multiple exposures and then manually blending them in to your primary scene.

You have several great images here: 6, 8, 9, & 10 really stand out.

Nicely done!
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2013
    anwmn1 wrote: »
    The trick with slots is always the sky. The only way to make the sky work is by taking multiple exposures and then manually blending them in to your primary scene.

You have several great images here: 6, 8, 9, & 10 really stand out.

Nicely done!

Thanks! I have not graduated to photo-shop yet, and LR4 is not capable of layering. I had option to saturate sky, but it wasn't doing much that day and was blown out so left it alone. Eventually I would have to move to PS.
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2013
    Good looking work SB!
    #8 & #10.....
    My fave is #6 because of the Yin-Yang. Wall hanger!
    For hot areas, have you tried using the adjustment brush in LR4?
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • rhiturajrhituraj Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2013
    Very nice series. I love the Antelope Canyons but only been to the lower one. thumb.gif

Camera - $1700, Lens - $900, Memories - Priceless | www.rhitusworld.com
    edited July 29, 2013
    Earache wrote: »
    Good looking work SB!
    #8 & #10.....
    My fave is #6 because of the Yin-Yang. Wall hanger!
    For hot areas, have you tried using the adjustment brush in LR4?

Hi Eric, thanks as always for help and comments! My name is Taz btw, short for Mumtaz. I did try to quiet the hot areas but it was unusual compared to my past experience. It was so delicate that even lightest touch was leaving a blob so I left it alone. In long term I want to switch to PS but right now LR4 doesn't do layering. I have made peace with the fact that outdoors conditions, light will always be a challenge and in the Canyon it is pretty dark so had to have long exposures and once sunlight penetrated through, not much could be done. I had some more room to reduce highlights and that would help, but I felt it wast taking life out of the picture so went with it.

Next time I go there, I plan to order cloud cover ahead of time!:D
    edited July 29, 2013
    rhituraj wrote: »
    Very nice series. I love the Antelope Canyons but only been to the lower one. thumb.gif

Thanks! I was going to go to Antelope canyons, but then some series of unfortunate events happened and had to leave. BTW, all of these Canyons are located close by to Antelope Canyon. There are some more that I found and hope to return to area to get all of them someday.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    really nice compositions on these! 4,6,7 are really doing it for me but all are good!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • OsoOso Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    6, 8 or 10 should be hanging on your wall. Might look really good on that metallic finish paper.

Steve
    [url]Http://stevehymon.smugmug.com[/url]
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Thanks! I have not graduated to photo-shop yet, and LR4 is not capable of layering. I had option to saturate sky, but it wasn't doing much that day and was blown out so left it alone. Eventually I would have to move to PS.

One does not graduate or move to Photoshop.

A lot of folks use LR as their primary image management and processing package and Photoshop
    as an additional step for processing LR can't do.

Ya want both.

Sam
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    Nice images. You may want to consider taking multiple exposures even if you don't currently have Photoshop.

Keep the images and reprocess when you do have PS. Or maybe connect with someone local who does have PS and would be willing to help on one or two images.

Sam
  • karloznzkarloznz Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    Excellent work
    Carl Lea Wedding and event photographer - Wellington - Web Site
  • merlinusmerlinus Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    Wonderful, mouth-watering photos! Makes me want to go there immediately!!
    -merlin
    Ubuntu Linux - LightZone - GIMP
    Visit my gallery
    edited August 12, 2013
    Thanks guys for kind comments! Came back from a trip and made my day!

Thanks Sam for the continuing education! I always thought of LR as subset of PS but will look to get PS soon.
  • PunkybethPunkybeth Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    Great images, Taz! I plan on visiting Antelope again in September, but may need to visit these instead (or in addition to Antelope). Were they in the same vicinity as Antelope? And...did you see any rattlesnake in Rattlesnake Canyon while you were there?? I think I might pass, if you did.rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for sharing!

Robyn
    Robyn T. Lisone
    MUTTography - Modern and Fun Lifestyle Pet Photography
    MUTTography | My SmugMug | Facebook | Google+

edited August 12, 2013
    Punkybeth wrote: »
    Great images, Taz! I plan on visiting Antelope again in September, but may need to visit these instead (or in addition to Antelope). Were they in the same vicinity as Antelope? And...did you see any rattlesnake in Rattlesnake Canyon while you were there?? I think I might pass, if you did.rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for sharing!

Robyn

Hi Robyn, thanks! I don't think you have to worry about Rattlesnakes but the OWLS are real and its a pair of them that can be seen from Canyon floor. Had I known they were real, I would have hiked with the zoom lens. You would need wide-angle to shoot these slot canyons. Definitely visit the Antelope canyons, as they are star of the show. I had some issues and had to leave. The remaining canyons are owned by one tribe and you have to reserve the tour with them (link below). The owners in my opinion are lazy, uneducated, and disorganized, but don't let that discourage you. They are all located not that far from each other, specially since no one walks from one canyon to next and they just drive. Have fun!

http://www.navajoantelopecanyon.com/tours.html
  • PunkybethPunkybeth Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Hi Robyn, thanks! I don't think you have to worry about Rattlesnakes but the OWLS are real and its a pair of them that can be seen from Canyon floor. Had I known they were real, I would have hiked with the zoom lens. You would need wide-angle to shoot these slot canyons. Definitely visit the Antelope canyons, as they are star of the show. I had some issues and had to leave. The remaining canyons are owned by one tribe and you have to reserve the tour with them (link below). The owners in my opinion are lazy, uneducated, and disorganized, but don't let that discourage you. They are all located not that far from each other, specially since no one walks from one canyon to next and they just drive. Have fun!

http://www.navajoantelopecanyon.com/tours.html

Thanks for the info! I remember the first time we went to Lower Antelope Canyon, and the owners seemed so disinterested in anyone visiting. They never even told us how to get to the opening of the canyon...it's a bit hidden unless you know where to look. We wound up hiking down to the "exit" since we saw some people emerge. The people told us we were going the wrong way...Hahaha! Oh well, it was beautiful whichever way you go in!!!

I'll have to look out for the owls at Owl Canyon!!! I'd love to see them!!!
    Robyn T. Lisone
    MUTTography - Modern and Fun Lifestyle Pet Photography
    MUTTography | My SmugMug | Facebook | Google+