My Dad and I, a Weekend of Riding and Camping in the High Country

Colorado CJColorado CJ Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
edited September 27, 2014 in Journeys
A few weeks ago, my Dad and I decided to pack up the bikes and head out for a couple of days of riding and camping in the high country. This time we chose Guanella pass for the camping destination. Guanella pass is a 11,667 ft elevation pass that connects the old mining town of Georgetown to the very small town of Grant, CO. Numerous trails and high mountain lakes are in the area, as well as some old ghost towns and mines.

Here's my Dad, just outside of Georgetown. He saw an old dirt road off the side of the highway and took off, off road to get to it.

9325229878_7a6a2496bf_o.jpg
Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

About 70 miles into the trip we rode into Georgetown, Colorado. Georgetown started as a mining camp in 1859. It remains today a very small town, with mostly original buildings still intact. You have to ride right through downtown Georgetown to get to the Guanella Pass road.

9325261044_757aa59e3f_o.jpg
Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-13 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Heading up Guanella Pass

9325229404_831e08122f_o.jpg
Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

9325229064_8415079481_o.jpg
Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-3 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

We took the bikes offroad a little and found an old campsite. It looked like as good a location as any so we parked the bikes and started setting up camp. There was a ~200 ft. vertical drop right behind the bike that went down to a swift running creek.

9325260662_0945e8cba8_o.jpg
Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-14 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

The tents are up and after a little exploring, we were starting to get hungry. Here's Dad, cookin up the dinner.

9301275408_3b25dc6b5c_o.jpg

After dinner, we took the bikes up to the top of the pass for a little photography/videography. Waiting for the skies to get completely dark, we killed time by using our motorcycle headlights to light up some scenes. It was around 9:30 p.m. but not quite dark enough for the milky way yet.

9322435947_b715970ae8_o.jpg
Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-5 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

9322435177_b28ac49e50_o.jpg
Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-6 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

An hour or so later, the Milky Way was starting to become visible to the naked eye. The only problem was, so where the distant Denver lights and low scudding clouds. Here's one of the night shots we were able to get.

9179469666_b1f5039734_o.jpg
29-June-2013-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

A little before midnight, we hopped back on the bikes and tried to find camp. We were successful :D. My Dad hit the hay, but I stayed up a little longer, trying for some more night time shots. Here's on of them, the Milky Way shining through the lantern lit trees.

9177913649_26c34948eb_o.jpg
29-June-2013-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

We got up right before sun-up the following morning and shot a few more photos/video.

9322433819_28f5c1087b_o.jpg
Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-10 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

9325225432_fc31cdf401_o.jpg
Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-11 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

9322434733_ccd53b4242_o.jpg
Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-9 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Back at camp, we made a decent breakfast of LOTS of bacon and eggs, broke camp and headed down off the pass. We wanted to try to get to the Santiago Mine, which was in the area, but once getting to the 4x4 road that headed up there, we discovered the road was too rough for a loaded down V-Strom. My DR650 would have made it easily, but I didn't want my dad to have to wait around a couple of hours for me to make the trip.

So, with that plan not working, we decided to go the long way home and headed up over Berthoud Pass. Here's a photo at the top of the pass, looking west into Winter Park and Grand County.

9325224730_1311fefd30_o.jpg
Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-12 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

We rode through Winter Park, Granby, and around Granby Lake, finally coming into the west side of Rocky Mountain National Park, my backyard stomping ground.

Although there wasn't many miles rode (~300) it was a fun weekend trip and a great time spent with my Dad.

Hope you enjoy the photos.

Comments

• Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2013
    Really nice images...thanks for sharing. Looks like you guys were having a great time.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2013
  • DonFischerDonFischer Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2013
    Nice photo's. I've been up to Rd Feather a few time's, north of where you were quite a bit. Colorado has some beautiful country. I used to really like the short trip along US 6 going into golden. I bet it's really crowded now!
  • DrIngoDrIngo Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 21, 2014
    A few weeks ago, my Dad and I decided to pack up the bikes and head out for a couple of days of riding and camping in the high country. This time we chose Guanella pass for the camping destination. Guanella pass is a 11,667 ft elevation pass that connects the old mining town of Georgetown to the very small town of Grant, CO. Numerous trails and high mountain lakes are in the area, as well as some old ghost towns and mines.

Here's my Dad, just outside of Georgetown. He saw an old dirt road off the side of the highway and took off, off road to get to it.

Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

About 70 miles into the trip we rode into Georgetown, Colorado. Georgetown started as a mining camp in 1859. It remains today a very small town, with mostly original buildings still intact. You have to ride right through downtown Georgetown to get to the Guanella Pass road.

Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-13 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Heading up Guanella Pass

Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-3 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

We took the bikes offroad a little and found an old campsite. It looked like as good a location as any so we parked the bikes and started setting up camp. There was a ~200 ft. vertical drop right behind the bike that went down to a swift running creek.

Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-14 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

The tents are up and after a little exploring, we were starting to get hungry. Here's Dad, cookin up the dinner.

After dinner, we took the bikes up to the top of the pass for a little photography/videography. Waiting for the skies to get completely dark, we killed time by using our motorcycle headlights to light up some scenes. It was around 9:30 p.m. but not quite dark enough for the milky way yet.

Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-5 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-6 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

An hour or so later, the Milky Way was starting to become visible to the naked eye. The only problem was, so where the distant Denver lights and low scudding clouds. Here's one of the night shots we were able to get.

29-June-2013-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

A little before midnight, we hopped back on the bikes and tried to find camp. We were successful . My Dad hit the hay, but I stayed up a little longer, trying for some more night time shots. Here's on of them, the Milky Way shining through the lantern lit trees.

29-June-2013-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

We got up right before sun-up the following morning and shot a few more photos/video.

Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-10 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-11 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-9 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Back at camp, we made a decent breakfast of LOTS of bacon and eggs, broke camp and headed down off the pass. We wanted to try the 3 Week Diet to get to the Santiago Mine, which was in the area, but once getting to the 4x4 road that headed up there, we discovered the road was too rough for a loaded down V-Strom. My DR650 would have made it easily, but I didn't want my dad to have to wait around a couple of hours for me to make the trip.

So, with that plan not working, we decided to go the long way home and headed up over Berthoud Pass. Here's a photo at the top of the pass, looking west into Winter Park and Grand County.

Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-12 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

We rode through Winter Park, Granby, and around Granby Lake, finally coming into the west side of Rocky Mountain National Park, my backyard stomping ground.

Although there wasn't many miles rode (~300) it was a fun weekend trip and a great time spent with my Dad.

Hope you enjoy the photos.

Such beautiful pictures. Looks like you had a wonderful trip. That one of space is amazing. Would love to go on a trip like that with my son too..
  • alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2014
    so nice to share it here.
    thanks
  • captnemocaptnemo Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2014
    looks like a great trip. I hope I have time to ride my bike out that way one of these days.
    Thanks for posting.