FHRA Spring Nationals 2013 (Motopark, Finland)

ZegeZege Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited February 1, 2014 in Sports
I have been thinking for some time to go and take photos of drag racing.

Season 2013 started about two weeks ago. And as I was anyway going in that weekend close to the track where first race weekend for this year would be, so I gave a try and asked organizer if I could get access closer to the action.

And I did...:clap And I love the show... I got the get more of this.

I still have a lot to learn how to take better pictures of such events and I hope I get another possibility end of next month. This time I maybe got a bit too exited of burning sessions and got stuck on those too much and missed some good photo opportunities otherwise.

2013-05-19_1107_EKS_7D82836-L.jpg

2013-05-18_1325_EKS_6D00221_Chevrolet-Cobalt-L.jpg

2013-05-19_1157_EKS_6D00590-L.jpg

2013-05-19_1200_EKS_6D00602_Plymouth-Valiant-L.jpg

2013-05-19_1615_EKS_6D00999_Chevrolet-Camaro-69-L.jpg

2013-05-18_1721_EKS_7D82772_Pontiac-GXP-L.jpg

These and rest of the stuff -> http://www.zegetion.com/Racing/DragRacing/2013FHRASpringNationals/

Comments

• AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2013
    There is a nice variety of shots in this selection.
    You seem to have a good eye for telling a story ... #1 is very good.
    I think you could crop out uninteresting bits of an image so that the eye just falls on the action.
    In #2, #4 I would maybe crop out a fair bit of the tarmac at the bottom
    I think #6 is screaming out for a panorama - get rid of everything up to the track. I think this would be stunning.
    Nice set - hope you get back to the track soon.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • ZegeZege Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2013
    Thank you for your feedback. Cropping… Yes, you are absolutely correct. Even I have tried to improve situation I still have bad habit to leave too much stuff there around.

For some years ago when I took pictures for one photo agency. Folks there always keep saying that there should be enough space around so it would be easier for customer to fit in available space or whatever… But I need to learn away from that.

It also seems to be so difficult to get out of that aspect ratio 3:2...
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2013
    Next time you are at the track, go further down the track, on the outside of the wall, until you can get the tree, and the car in the shot. When I do this I usually lean out over the wall slightly, and shoot in a vertical format. I also like to shoot from behind the cars & bikes as they are launching as well. Got any more to post? I'd love to see some more, as I haven't been able to get to the track this year due to my day job.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Patrick D. HarringtonPatrick D. Harrington Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited July 2, 2013
    Gary752 wrote: »
    Next time you are at the track, go further down the track, on the outside of the wall, until you can get the tree, and the car in the shot. When I do this I usually lean out over the wall slightly, and shoot in a vertical format. I also like to shoot from behind the cars & bikes as they are launching as well. Got any more to post? I'd love to see some more, as I haven't been able to get to the track this year due to my day job.

GaryB

This is definitely a great way to get nice wheels up shots with the team and spectating competitors watching from behind, and the further out you go past the 60 foot markers with longer telephoto lens the flatter and much more intimate the image gets. This works great on some cars that look best from some angles and even looks good for candid shots in the pits or staging lanes. I also always shoot with a CP filter to get rid of or control glare and the way it highlights body lines and contours and keep colors rich and Sponsors logos and lettering visible, ( not an issue in the images you have posted ) it can also cut reflective glare from glass to reveal the driver on hazy overcast days when the windshield reflects the very bright grey diffused light from the sky. I like to shoot wide and catch both vehicles leaving during finals in heads up classes! Night shots are some of my favorites, it is the only time I like to use a flash. Having an eye for what angles flatter certain body types really goes a long way to capturing images that look good, using slower shutter speeds during panning from the side works great, catching the cars from down the big end coming at you with chutes open behind the car is nice, there is tones of stuff you can play with, I haven't posted much but I have shot quite a bit of Drag Racing. It's lots of fun and a great way to spend a weekend, a lot more fun than shooting a weddings, maybe, not always as profitable though! Laughing.gif!

http://patrickdharrington.smugmug.com/Motorsports/Drag-Racing/Racing-Images/17100812_hhFX6w#!i=1386636164&k=G8d8DKq&lb=1&s=X2

http://patrickdharrington.smugmug.com/Motorsports/Drag-Racing/Racing-Images/17100812_hhFX6w#!i=1386642504&k=rFB2rLJ
  • ZegeZege Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2014
    It took a few months come back here... :D

But thank for your comments guys.

Now when snow covers all tracks around here and it's about 3,5 months to first DR race weekend it is time to look own pictures and see if I learn nothing during last season.

Well, not much :giggle

But it was fun and I really hope I have same possibilities to get access to races as I had last year. One think learn, but it is another if I remember it, is to maybe move more around other areas than just stay to shooting burning. I mean, it is still fun, but when you have couple dozen pic of same car smoking tyres, it’s maybe time try to find something different.

2013-06-30_1807_EKS_6D06811-L.jpg

Well I learned that motorbikes can be very cool too
    2013-06-28_1324_EKS_7D85308-L.jpg

2013-07-05_1322_EKS_6D07491-L.jpg

These could get pretty L O U D
    2013-07-07_1135_EKS_6D08068-L.jpg

2013-07-07_1444_EKS_6D08468-L.jpg

If I got it right, this Swedish driver (Jimmy Ålund) will race this year NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Racing Series with Summit Racing/KB Racing Camaro
    2013-07-07_1131_EKS_6D08060-L.jpg

And of course during the winter and looking the pictures is easy to forget how much time was spend just waiting :D
    2013-07-07_1503_EKS_6D08546-L.jpg