Options

question abou telextender with macro lens

paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
edited May 22, 2013 in Holy Macro
My standard macro lens is the Canon 100mm L. This lens will not take a Canon telextender directly, but some folks have noted that you can mount the lens on a telextender if you place a 12mm extension tube between the two. I've experimented a bit with a Canon 1.4X II but wonder if anyone has learned more than I have about this.

As a very rough approximation, I found that the combination decreases MWD by about 1 cm. It increases maximum magnification to roughly 1.6:1. One can of course reach this level of magnification with a longer extension, without the telextender, but at the cost of a much shorter MWD. And for a given level of magnification, it gives a greater working distance than the lens alone.

Has anyone experimented to determine the optical quality of this combination? I have no idea what putting empty space between the lens and the extender does to image quality.

Thanks for any information.

Comments

• Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2013
    paddler4 wrote: »
    My standard macro lens is the Canon 100mm L. This lens will not take a Canon telextender directly, but some folks have noted that you can mount the lens on a telextender if you place a 12mm extension tube between the two. I've experimented a bit with a Canon 1.4X II but wonder if anyone has learned more than I have about this.

As a very rough approximation, I found that the combination decreases MWD by about 1 cm. It increases maximum magnification to roughly 1.6:1. One can of course reach this level of magnification with a longer extension, without the telextender, but at the cost of a much shorter MWD. And for a given level of magnification, it gives a greater working distance than the lens alone.

Has anyone experimented to determine the optical quality of this combination? I have no idea what putting empty space between the lens and the extender does to image quality.

Thanks for any information.
    I doubt the extension tube will affect the IQ. If you find the setup useful just try using it for a while.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2013
    Brian,

Thanks. I'll do that, although at first I will probably try it only when I have time to do similar shots without it, just in case.

Dan
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2013
    i dont doubt , im sure , the tube wont effect IQ , you could add more if you like

the extender will effect IQ slightly
    dont know how much as i dont own Canon

i tried a similar setup w Nikon in the past , and had no complains
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2013
    i dont doubt , im sure , the tube wont effect IQ , you could add more if you like

I often use tubes in the standard position, behind the lens, so I understand their effects there. What puzzled me is placing them in front of an extender. Since the extender acts like an additional group of lens elements, this is placing the tube(s) between groups of lens elements. I don't think I have ever seen a technical discussion of this.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,799 moderator
    edited May 21, 2013
    Teleconverters/tele-extenders are designed to be used with lenses which have a narrow angle of convergence. Primarily, this means true telephoto lenses through super-telephoto lenses. A few notable exceptions are the 70-200mm zooms with constant aperture (which also have a relatively narrow angle of convergence.) (In the case of Canon lenses, the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM is also considered "compatible", but only marginally acceptable IMO.)

While the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro is not approved by Canon for use with its teleconverters, it is "safe" to use if you add at least the 12mm extension tube, as mentioned by paddler4 in the first post of this thread.

I believe that you can expect "some" (as in, "a little bit of") color misalignment (chroma aberration, CA) in the borders and corners and at large apertures, compared to not having the 1.4x teleconverter. Whether this is acceptable depends upon the subject, and whether you apply software correction in post.

Likewise, at large apertures and working with flat subject matter, you can expect softer corners as some field curvature sneaks in. Stopping the aperture down should alleviate some of the problems.

A 2x teleconverter will be more pronounced with problems than a 1.4x teleconverter.

All teleconverters will soften the image slightly "and" reduce contrast, although some lens/teleconverter pairs fair better than others, and only testing will prove whether a particular lens/extension/teleconverter works for your application and quality requirements.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2013
    Ziggy,

thanks. Very helpful.

I'll try to find time to do a few test shots, with and without the telextender, to get some A/B comparisons. My handheld macro work is usually around f/13, which should help.

Dan