Options

20 mins still processing uploads

photosignalsphotosignals Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited September 5, 2013 in SmugMug Support
20 mins later - trying to get gallery to client and still waiting for 1/4 of the images to finish processing. Is this the norm at present? Thought new prices meant better service ..

40 mins .. still got 1/4 of them stuck processing <sigh>. Emailed customer to say they will not be avail till tomorrow.

Comments

• Options
    bobbyherobobbyhero Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2013
    Our engineers are working on a fix for this issue right now. It will be resolved shortly.
  • Options
    SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    I see that this issue still isn't resolved. Is there an update about when it will be attended to?
    John
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    Sventekoz wrote: »
    I see that this issue still isn't resolved. Is there an update about when it will be attended to?

You revived a months-old thread, "that" issue was certainly resolved :)

I suggest writing the help desk.
  • Options
    tobemetobeme Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    I noticed recently videos are uploaded to the site faster than before. However, it seems the processing time is taking longer than before. Not sure whether this issue is only temporary.
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2013
    Andy wrote: »

Well here's some news for you, Andy. 'That' issue was clearly not resolved. Why do you think I raised it, if that were not the case? I'll contact SmugMug in any way I choose to be most appropriate at the time. In this case I chose to do it in a public forum, clearly marked SmugMug Support, in a thread about an existing issue - in the obviously vain hope that I'd receive a reasonable response. Andy, I (and others, clearly) rarely find your responses helpful, and they are almost always without a big dose of sarcasm, arrogance, or just plain rudeness toward people. Do me a favour, will you, and just ignore my posts.
    John
  • Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2013

Got a link to the gallery? I'm not aware of any current issue and I don't see any other reports of slow image processing this morning.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2013
    It's resolved now, Zac, thank you. The image finished processing some time overnight. I was simply flagging this as an ongoing problem. I've encountered it in the past, and it has persisted. Oddly enough, it seems to only happen with one image in the upload - never more than that.
    John
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2013
    It's resolved now, Zac, thank you. The image finished processing some time overnight. I was simply flagging this as an ongoing problem. I've encountered it in the past, and it has persisted. Oddly enough, it seems to only happen with one image in the upload - never more than that.

I have continually had the same problem for months. It is not always 1 image, but it is usually very few if not one. I've seen images take over an hour. If I'm in a real hurry I delete it and re-upload, and it works OK. Otherwise I just wait. But the EXACT same image that hangs will take seconds if you upload again, so all the discussion elsewhere about aspects of the image being the cause are bunk.

It's an ongoing and annoying, but not show-stopper "feature" of Smugmug that doesn't appear affected by the upgrade
  • Options
    picturebikepicturebike Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2013
    Ferguson wrote: »
    I have continually had the same problem for months. It is not always 1 image, but it is usually very few if not one. I've seen images take over an hour. If I'm in a real hurry I delete it and re-upload, and it works OK. Otherwise I just wait. But the EXACT same image that hangs will take seconds if you upload again, so all the discussion elsewhere about aspects of the image being the cause are bunk.

It's an ongoing and annoying, but not show-stopper "feature" of Smugmug that doesn't appear affected by the upgrade

i get this problem too as as you say delete the pic and re upload and its fine, in fact ive just had it not 5 mins ago...
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2013
    Gosh, Andy. How's that "resolved" issue looking for you?
    John
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2013
    Incidentally I pursued it once before, had a hero looking at it, they confirmed they could see it, but there was never any resolution.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2013
    Just to be clear, are there any plans to fix this problem?
    John
  • Options
    tobemetobeme Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2013
    I have just uploaded 38 photos to my site and one of them stayed in the "process" mode for a very long. So I deleted it and uploaded again and it worked fine. Thanks to the site for asking if 'allow duplicate' otherwise I have to go thru 38 photos to find out which one I should upload.
  • Options
    BCMBCM Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 31, 2013
    Newbie here, but not to SmugMug. I have this issue intermittently myself (This morning, for instance). Some stuff uploads fine, others get stuck in "Processing", sometimes for quite awhile.

Any chance anyone from SmugMug could share the general process for how images get processed? Is there a queue where a certain times the system just has to work through them all?
  • Options
    QBiCQBiC Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2013
    Same here, uploads are stuck in "Processing" for over an hour now...
  • Options
    FunguyphotoFunguyphoto Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2013
    No uploads all morning here too...
  • Options
    MenBrialMenBrial Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2013
    Andy wrote: »

before writting such an answer you should know that there is a problem right now , i uploaded pictures more than one hour ago and they still don t show up !!!
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2013
    UPLOAD still not working !!!! ( since 3 hours now !!!! )
  • Options
    QBiCQBiC Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2013
    I had 2 images processed out of 40 in the last 2-3 hours.
    The entire site is actually quite slow too...
  • Options
    CaoimhinCaoimhin Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2013
    I uploaded approximately 30 images to an unlisted gallery several hours ago and more than half are still listed as processing. First time I've encountered this on Smugmug.
  • Options
    picturebikepicturebike Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2013
    well ive taken an order for 5 photos today and have uploaded them so my client can download them and out of the 5 twenty mins later and all of them are stuck in processing, needless to say this is making me look amateur as my client is currently waiting for the images they have paid for. Tomorrow im covering an event which will be a 1000+ image shoot all will be expected to be viewable tomorrow evening by the clients so naturally im currently not feeling to great at the prospect of not being able to fulfil the agreement i have with them and therefore not getting paid !
  • Options
    embrickembrick Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 31, 2013
    I ran into this today as well. According to http://status.smugmug.com/, they're working on it:
    Update - We isolated the problem to a caching problem that is also affecting overall loading times. We're working on fixing the bad cache.
    10:52 PDT
    Identified - Uploads are processing slowly. Our team is working on a fix. Uploads may take several minutes to process until this problem has been resolved.
    09:54 PDT
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 31, 2013
    I'm very sorry for the problems right now. We are experiencing a technical issue, and are working on resolving the

problem as quickly as we can. We have our engineers on the case, and this should be short-lived!

Details will be posted here as we have them: http://status.smugmug.com/

If you have not already done so, you may want to subscribe to the status updates on that page. It will notify you when problems happen and also let you know when they are resolved.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2013
    embrick wrote: »
    I ran into this today as well. According to http://status.smugmug.com/, they're working on it:
    Update - We isolated the problem to a caching problem that is also affecting overall loading times. We're working on fixing the bad cache.
    10:52 PDT
    Identified - Uploads are processing slowly. Our team is working on a fix. Uploads may take several minutes to process until this problem has been resolved.
    09:54 PDT

upload may take several minutes to process !!!!

is this a joke ?? i uploaded pictures at 9am this morning ....it is now almost 2pm and they are still not showing !!! you should wrote: UPLOAD MAY TAKE SEVERAL HOURS TO PROCESS
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2013
    I'd like to add to this - it's been about an hour since I uploaded 2 photos and they are still processing:(
    When is this likely to be fixed please?

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    piercepierce Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2013
    I'm stuck in the same place, uploaded a image a couple hours ago still waiting for it to come out of 'processing'.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2013
    Here's an example from last night. I uploaded 98 images. Of those, most completed in 20 seconds +/-. There's one (nothing special about it) that took 1879 seconds, or over 30 minutes. I've never found a pattern to any of this, I can delete the whole group and then upload again and it might have no delays, or I might have a different one that gets hung. It's never more than one or two, and sometimes its just minutes instead of seconds, but sometimes it can be over an hour. This has been going on for many months, I think years. All inquiries by myself and others never seem to produce any attention. Since it's a small number of shots I really have not pursued it aggressively.

But it is emphatically not fixed.

If someone at SM wants to look, see my account (domain below) and look at image ID i-zz6XTWM which was uploaded at 21:50:01pst on 8/30/13 (I think that's the upload start time not finish time). Tell me why that image took 1879 and the one before and after took 22 and 15 seconds.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2013
    Still "stuck" for me at 5.15 eastern time (I've tried three separate times over the last several hours). Just fyi for your engineers.
  • Options
    hadronhadron Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2013
    One uploaded image is still processing after several hours...
  • Options
    jrporcarojrporcaro Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2013
    I am seeing the same thing. I have left the gallery for over 4 hours. finally I deleted it and I am re-uploading but it looks like I am seeing the same problem.

http://www.maplemountainsports.com/Sophomore/2013/Sky-View-2013