Options

A couple water droplets

DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
edited April 16, 2013 in Holy Macro
Recently found and purchased a really nice used Canon 100mm Macro f2.8 (older version) and am becoming familiar with it. Could hardly wait to find some water droplets and I did on Sunday's raining day for us.
Used a tripod :D for the pine needles and handheld braced for the whimsical nail.

Didn't see these tiny insects when I framed the shot in. Was able to easily find out what they are and am grateful to know. They densely populate the forest yet go unseen for the most part @ 1mm long.
How many things go unseen right :bow Whos cares as long as they don't bite :wink
The information about the insects http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PoduraAquatica.jpg

WaterDroplet_1WM_8557-X2.jpg

WaterDroplet_3WM_8562-X2.jpg

WaterDroplet_2WM_8529-X2.jpg

#4 These guys will bite but I was willing to see just how much and how fast they would go after me.
Now I have this lens to try this shot again and actual hit some sharper details. Not easy to find a model for this shot. :D
AntPile_Web3_7329-XL.jpg
Michael

Comments

• Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2013
    Lovely series.
    Think the bugs in #1 are aphids rather than springtails.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2013
    Lovely series.
    Think the bugs in #1 are aphids rather than springtails.
    Brian V.
    Thanks for saying Brian. :D I appreciate seeing your note here.
    Lovely range maybe, yes? In comparison too what I believe, and know are truly outstanding results
    admired over time here at HM.
    Nice to know I am getting close. Right, aphids seem the correct insect now that I have seen a much wider example of them. We have pale green aphids on the Roses and lady bugs eating them and I am used to seeing that expression or type of them. A better shot is in order and in that effort I might actually hit exact sharp too mwink.gif
    In original review of the first 2 water droplet images I did notice the water didn't seem exact sharp. Just fractionally off and could see sharper focus just ahead of the water droplet on the pine needle. Focus must be just ahead of the 2nd image too cause it's not perfect sharp either. Only the nail seems to have true sharp along the shaft.
    Your were being kind letting me figure that out on my own :D Because I have a tough time discerning exact sharp via the view finder I could really use some magnification for focus assist.
    I would rather not take shots only to find I missed sharp by .21" or less rolleyes1.gif That wouldn't be funny every time.
    Wanted to say yet again, as it has been awhile if I ever even said back then. This 100mm was one of the much better lenses to go with starting out as you mentioned long time back.
    Don't recall the exacts but you mentioned the 150mm was not as good a choice as others. Hope I still have the jist of that right.

Hand holding focus stacking, I will see what happens. I seem to recall you mentioning it could be done case by case.
    Michael
  • Options
    macromeistermacromeister Registered Users Posts: 490 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2013
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Recently found and purchased a really nice used Canon 100mm Macro f2.8 (older version) and am becoming familiar with it.
    I used to use the Sigma 105mm so I don't know what the old version Canon is like, but my dear, dear wife got me the new Canon 100mm for my last birthday (I can't divorce her now!) I'm sure it's certainly is a very good lens, old version or new.
    DaddyO wrote: »
    #4 These guys will bite but I was willing to see just how much and how fast they would go after me.
    Now I have this lens to try this shot again and actual hit some sharper details. Not easy to find a model for this shot. :D
    AntPile_Web3_7329-XL.jpg
    My wife and I came across a nest last week in the forest we were walking in. I couldn't even bring myself to go near it, let alone let them crawl over my hand!
    I'm Rob Ashcroft - MACROMEISTER IMAGES . . . .
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2013
    I used to use the Sigma 105mm so I don't know what the old version Canon is like, but my dear, dear wife got me the new Canon 100mm for my last birthday (I can't divorce her now!) I'm sure it's certainly is a very good lens, old version or new.

My wife and I came across a nest last week in the forest we were walking in. I couldn't even bring myself to go near it, let alone let them crawl over my hand!

She is taking excellent care of you then. No doubt you are returning that very care and love iloveyou.gif and always have been.
    God bless our better halves clap.gif

I read from one person discussing the purchase of select lenses. He has zero problem sending new purchases back if there were any questions at all concerning its performance. Returning bad copies 2 or 3 times if need be. I used to think it was me and gave new buys a chance for too long. That will never happen again. It goes back and that is that. I hope you have experienced absolute sharp with your new new 100mm macro and find the returns fabulous. My used copy has got to be the best experience I have had outside what I could afford in used equipment with the FD line. Will confess, my 70-200 Sigma has saved the day for sharp. Right there like this 100mm if I can manage to do my part.
    My thanks for your commenting :D Nice
    Michael
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2013
    Also, I hear ya about the ants. Not really a place to put ones hands. But for science and the possibility of a decent result... I'm in. That is with these ants. You would not catch me doing with particular pests.
    A safe maybe fine ... but not a dangerous obvious hazard like say fire ants as an example for N. America. There is an ant I will go out of my way to steer clear of. They are super fassst and swarm with one thing in mind and that is to get you. A get you in the worst of ways. :cry Many a tear has been shed from an attack by them.
    Michael