Options

My brother in Ireland

JTB-DCJTB-DC Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
edited March 26, 2013 in People
Can't decide whether this is landscape or people so since it was travel I placed it as journey. I know many may say its a tosser but I liked it. Please let me know what you think.

20130312-JTBP-398-X2.jpg
Jared
My Site

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2013
    I think this could be an interesting shot if processed differently. It has some dramatic pieces to it. It needs SOMETHING but I really can't put my finger on it.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2013
    This is a beautifully composed photograph. I would like to see it a bit more vibrant though. Not too much, but enough to make the grass a bit greener. I have a feeling that would add to this killer shot. thumb.gif
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2013
    Qarik wrote: »
    I think this could be an interesting shot if processed differently. It has some dramatic pieces to it. It needs SOMETHING but I really can't put my finger on it.
    This is a beautifully composed photograph. I would like to see it a bit more vibrant though. Not too much, but enough to make the grass a bit greener. I have a feeling that would add to this killer shot. thumb.gif

Thanks to you both for weighing in on the shot, I appreciate the comments! I agree, I tried to make it a little more vibrant. Also, had one other that I snapped before he completely walked away. Kind of like the clouds better.

20130312-JTBP-398-XL.jpg

20130312-JTBP-399-XL.jpg
    Jared
    My Site
  • Options
    LightsearcherLightsearcher Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2013
    This is a beautiful picture and I think it is a great candidate for a dramatic B&W.

Regards.

Marcelo
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2013
    Try a crop where the center of interest as you see it is off center. Divide the screen into thirds both vertically and horizontally. Your get four points where the lines intersect. Put you center of interest on one of those points and see if you like it.
  • Options
    GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Try a crop where the center of interest as you see it is off center. Divide the screen into thirds both vertically and horizontally. Your get four points where the lines intersect. Put you center of interest on one of those points and see if you like it.
    I don't think it needs to be recomposed at all. The various aspects all work -- dynamic cloud, sun reflecting as a halo around your person, and the foreground curving into the background and pointing to the reflection. But if you were able to do some localized adjustments and brighten the foreground so the colors weren't so muddy, I think you'd have a more dynamic shot.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2013
    This is a beautiful picture and I think it is a great candidate for a dramatic B&W.

Regards.

Marcelo

Marcelo, thank you very much for your comment! I appreciate it! I think a black and white may also work well and think I will process one and see what I can come up with.
    Hackbone wrote: »

Hi Hackbone, thank you as well for taking the time to comment! Thought about a rule of thirds type crop and may indeed test it out to get my brother on the rightish of the frame, omitting a bit of the ocean and see how it looks.
    Gotham wrote: »
    I don't think it needs to be recomposed at all. The various aspects all work -- dynamic cloud, sun reflecting as a halo around your person, and the foreground curving into the background and pointing to the reflection. But if you were able to do some localized adjustments and brighten the foreground so the colors weren't so muddy, I think you'd have a more dynamic shot.

Hi Gotham, I appreciate your comments as well! While I think I will take Hackbone's suggestion to see how it changes the picture I too liked the composition of the original. I am not sure the pics were posting correctly when the three of you commented, but I re-did the original and added a second shot to the post. In each I tried to liven up the foreground. If you happen back on the thread, let me know what you think.

Thanks again to you all for your comments!
    Jared
    My Site