Options

2013: Any Developments Since Price Hike?

2»

Comments

• Options
    markderrymarkderry Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2013
    Thanks
    Hey Baldy,

Thanks for being so open and frank with us, it is refreshing. Looking forward to what you guys are working on.

I for one have no problem paying more. I currently have 1.2 terabytes of pictures hosted on the site, have sold thousands of dollars worth of prints and host all of my website through smugmug. I am happy to pay more knowing that the money is going to beef up the service. Anyone who is complaining about the price really doesn't understand what they are getting for that price.
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2013
    markderry wrote: »
    Hey Baldy,

Thanks for being so open and frank with us, it is refreshing. Looking forward to what you guys are working on.

I for one have no problem paying more. I currently have 1.2 terabytes of pictures hosted on the site, have sold thousands of dollars worth of prints and host all of my website through smugmug. I am happy to pay more knowing that the money is going to beef up the service. Anyone who is complaining about the price really doesn't understand what they are getting for that price.

Mark,

Thank you for the kind words and support. Like you, when I was just a SmugMug Pro, before being hired, I felt I was getting plenty for my money. To me, simply having a slick interface and the Download All option for my backup of wedding photos was worth it alone. Add full customization that made my site super nice, Publish to Facebook, and of course, print sales through Bay Photo, and I was one happy customer.

Thanks again Mark!

Michael
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited January 30, 2013
    markderry wrote: »
    Hey Baldy,

Thanks so much, Mark. I've been watching our renewal rates like a hawk and keeping a close eye on Netflix, whose stock is soaring after a great quarter with 2 million new customers, and I honestly think time will prove that we will serve our customers so much better after raising prices.
  • Options
    darklightphotographydarklightphotography Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    James, I will be moving this discussion to a dedicated thread by the end of the week. It will include some FAQ's....this is one of them.

Michael

How's this coming along?
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2013
    Should I take it that it isn't? Or did I miss it in the rush of new feature releases?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    PhilDaPhotPhilDaPhot Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2013
    I would just love to know when they are going to get an Australian printer. Very hush hush.
    Phillip Cullinan

http://www.phillipcullinanphotography.com

If your photos aren't good enough, then you are not close enough.

Robert Capa
  • Options
    JamesGPhotoJamesGPhoto Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2013
    James, I will be moving this discussion to a dedicated thread by the end of the week. It will include some FAQ's....this is one of them.

Michael

How's this coming, Michael?
    James Geiger M. Ed.
    "Being a photographer is not about taking a photograph, it is about being curious about life."
    ~ Jared Platt
    http://www.jamesgeigerphoto.com
  • Options
    David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2013
    Any update on the Thread
    Michael is there any update on the thread for this?
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2013
    Hi guys,

I have not had a chance to finish up and proof read my own writing. I need alot of proofing rolleyes1.gif

But I just want you to know, as I have mentioned in other threads, I don't want anyone to have false hopes of some detailed update, because this will not be one. It will simply be a personal take on the development of features from my point of view of a long time power user turned employee.

Michael
  • Options
    Pure EnergyPure Energy Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2013
    Hi guys,

I have not had a chance to finish up and proof read my own writing. I need alot of proofing rolleyes1.gif

But I just want you to know, as I have mentioned in other threads, I don't want anyone to have false hopes of some detailed update, because this will not be one. It will simply be a personal take on the development of features from my point of view of a long time power user turned employee.

Michael

That's okay... we know "you're working on it" and "it's coming along as planned" but you can't give us a time-frame of one day, one week, one month, one year, one decade or one century for us to expect your fancy new forum thread (or implementation of new levels for that matter).

Go on, be bold and tell us it'll be done this millennium (or are you afraid you and SM will disappoint us if you miss that target date?).
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2013
    That's okay... we know "you're working on it" and "it's coming along as planned" but you can't give us a time-frame of one day, one week, one month, one year, one decade or one century for us to expect your fancy new forum thread (or implementation of new levels for that matter).

Go on, be bold and tell us it'll be done this millennium (or are you afraid you and SM will disappoint us if you miss that target date?).

While I do appreciate the humor, you know I won't even say millennium. It is our policy to not give time frames. Days, weeks, months, years, decades, or millennium.

I know this is not what you are looking for, and I am more than happy to continue this discussion, but you must be aware I will not be talking time frames.

Michael
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2013
    While I do appreciate the humor, you know I won't even say millennium. It is our policy to not give time frames. Days, weeks, months, years, decades, or millennium.

I know this is not what you are looking for, and I am more than happy to continue this discussion, but you must be aware I will not be talking time frames.

Michael

Since we're never gonna find out when,

Can we discuss, maybe in a private member only forum, WHAT is being worked on?
    James Geiger M. Ed.
    "Being a photographer is not about taking a photograph, it is about being curious about life."
    ~ Jared Platt
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2013

Michael

Onethumb (smugmug CEO) posted last August:

"We're rebuilding many of SmugMug's systems from the ground up. We're still many months away from being done. Tiny little bits and pieces have been leaking out around the edges - the gallery preview, the new search interface, Pricelists, and the new Account Settings. They're all tiny little echoes of a much bigger product shift."

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1809586&postcount=33

Closest we'll get to a timeline, I'm sure. I suppose a millennium counts as "many months" though, but I'm hoping he meant within a year. You might not be able to give us a timeline, but we all have renewal dates on the horizon. That's our timeline.

FYI, dgrin search absolutely sucks. That took forever to find. I thought you'd release the big update before I found it...

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2013

Can we discuss, maybe in a private member only forum, WHAT is being worked on?

James, we have no plans to create private member only forums. Dgrin, for the most part, IS the member only forum.

Michael
  • Options
    David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2013
    With all due respect, it is not the State of the Union address Michael. Post what you have we are already disappointed at the lack of improvements added since the announcement.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2013
    With all due respect, it is not the State of the Union address Michael. Post what you have we are already disappointed at the lack of improvements added since the announcement.

Thanks

Thank you David. I have been trying to emphasize that point. It was just meant to be a simple post.

Michael
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2013
    It's been many months now since the price hike, and months since I wrote what it was I am looking for from Smugmug. In the absence of any actual updates, and given that the competition offers almost everything I'm looking for, it's very difficult to justify renewing next week. I'd feel happier with some kind of communication of what is coming, but even that seems beyond them.

I know I'll be better off after moving, but it's still going to hurt.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2013
    It's been many months now since the price hike, and months since I wrote what it was I am looking for from Smugmug. In the absence of any actual updates, and given that the competition offers almost everything I'm looking for, it's very difficult to justify renewing next week. I'd feel happier with some kind of communication of what is coming, but even that seems beyond them.

I know I'll be better off after moving, but it's still going to hurt.

I know you aren't getting the answers you are seeking, but I hope you do stay with us. I am confident that alot of our customers will be very satisfied with what our future holds and understand the decisions that we have made.

Michael

Michael Bonocore
    www.mb-photography-sf.com
    www.facebook.com/mbonocore
    plus.mb-photography-sf.com
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2013
    I know you aren't getting the answers you are seeking, but I hope you do stay with us. I am confident that alot of our customers will be very satisfied with what our future holds and understand the decisions that we have made.

I'm unwilling to renew under the current level of information provided to customers, many of whom rely on Smugmug for their livelihood. "Trust us" is not good enough! Unless Smugmug would be happy to postpone any service fees until the rollout of fab new features, and we'll pay up then? I'm sure you'll be very satisfied when we do get around to paying for it.
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2013

Michael

I equally hope you can understand the decision I have been forced into making. I held out as long as I could, but in the end I wasn't willing to show any more faith in Smugmug without seeing anything in return.
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2013
    I equally hope you can understand the decision I have been forced into making. I held out as long as I could, but in the end I wasn't willing to show any more faith in Smugmug without seeing anything in return.

I understand Kevin. I do love your work and the way you have designed your SmugMug site, and hate to see you go. Please feel free to email me anytime at mbonocore@smugmug.com if you wish to take this discussion offline.

Michael
  • Options
    McQMcQ Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2013
    I just want to add that I'm sticking with SmugMug.

I was one of the most vocal critics of the decision to raise prices, and even more vocal of the lack of communication that I felt was going on. I'm sure that every post and email from me was met with a feeling of "Oh, sh**! He here goes again." But a couple of things changed my mind and I would ask that others who feel the same way give these some consideration.

One is that while none of us appreciate not having information on what features are coming, that it's important to give SM the benefit of the doubt. Believe me, I didn't want to for a long time. And it may be just a feeling, but I honestly believe that SM wants to do the right thing by its customers and that they are an honest group of people at their core. Again, this was for me a long time in believing, because the internet tends to get us to be used to having what we want when we want it and getting it cheaply.

But the reality is that SM has been battling to remain independent in a market where they could have more easily taken the path of least resistance and gone the way of Zenfolio. I even opened a Zenfolio account in anticipation of leaving SM a few months ago. But time, calm thinking, and some heart-to-heart emails with Baldy and others have convinced me of the integrity of SM.

Will SM prevail and be able to deal out the best and coolest features for us? I don't know. But I AM willing to bet on them now, even without specific information forthcoming. Is it hard to be patient? You bet. Every day. But I can only imagine the hours of stress filled work that people at SM are putting in to give us the best product available.

Think about it. Would you put your life savings, reputation, and the fate of all of your workforce on the line if you were running the show? Do you realize just how terrifying that is for people? Most of us would never have the courage to do it. Well, that's what SM is doing in order to remain independent and in order to bring us the things we want.

I'm not trying to preach, or even be a sunshine pump, but the reality is that what they do is incredibly difficult. Overwhelming, in fact. So I'm staying, and I'm putting my money where my mouth is by renewing when my time comes up.

Just food for thought.
    "Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio, our nation turns its lonely eyes to you?"

http://mcq.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2013
    McQ wrote: »
    I just want to add that I'm sticking with SmugMug.

I was one of the most vocal critics of the decision to raise prices, and even more vocal of the lack of communication that I felt was going on. I'm sure that every post and email from me was met with a feeling of "Oh, sh**! He here goes again." But a couple of things changed my mind and I would ask that others who feel the same way give these some consideration.

One is that while none of us appreciate not having information on what features are coming, that it's important to give SM the benefit of the doubt. Believe me, I didn't want to for a long time. And it may be just a feeling, but I honestly believe that SM wants to do the right thing by its customers and that they are an honest group of people at their core. Again, this was for me a long time in believing, because the internet tends to get us to be used to having what we want when we want it and getting it cheaply.

But the reality is that SM has been battling to remain independent in a market where they could have more easily taken the path of least resistance and gone the way of Zenfolio. I even opened a Zenfolio account in anticipation of leaving SM a few months ago. But time, calm thinking, and some heart-to-heart emails with Baldy and others have convinced me of the integrity of SM.

Will SM prevail and be able to deal out the best and coolest features for us? I don't know. But I AM willing to bet on them now, even without specific information forthcoming. Is it hard to be patient? You bet. Every day. But I can only imagine the hours of stress filled work that people at SM are putting in to give us the best product available.

Think about it. Would you put your life savings, reputation, and the fate of all of your workforce on the line if you were running the show? Do you realize just how terrifying that is for people? Most of us would never have the courage to do it. Well, that's what SM is doing in order to remain independent and in order to bring us the things we want.

I'm not trying to preach, or even be a sunshine pump, but the reality is that what they do is incredibly difficult. Overwhelming, in fact. So I'm staying, and I'm putting my money where my mouth is by renewing when my time comes up.

Just food for thought.

Glenn,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I have forwarded your note to Baldy and others at SmugMug, as I know they also appreciates your sincere post.

We do work our tails off at SmugMug to provide the best product possible for our clients. We have alot of customers, and they have alot of photos. A great amount work goes into making sure these photos are safe and secure, all the while building and implementing new features and updating current ones to make our user's experience better.

I will be the first to admit I am inpatient when it comes to new toys, and I always want the future now. But if I have learned one thing in my many years of software experience, is that it takes time to do things right. And I know our customers, and I, would rather have well designed and thought out products than half baked ones.

Thanks again Glenn!

Michael
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2013
    And I know our customers, and I, would rather have well designed and thought out products than half baked ones.

Lets just hope the "well thought out" products include thinking about whether a new feature should be turned on or off by default (new features for pro sites should always be off, nothing like having your site change without you wanting it to), including a global "opt-out" setting and not changing an existing default setting in favor of the new feature.

The one exception I could see to that would if SM decided to make printing OFF by default for new albums.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2013
    Any progress??
    James Geiger M. Ed.
    ~ Jared Platt