Options

Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F2.8

harish_agawaneharish_agawane Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited December 27, 2012 in Accessories
Hi All,

I want to buy Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro does it wikl be good investment.

Because it dont have vibration control.

Thanks,
Harish.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,830 moderator
    edited December 21, 2012
    It depends upon your use of the lens. That particular lens is also a little slow to focus (but not horrible).

I have the Canon EF 70-200mm, f2.8L USM, which also lacks stabilization, but it is very quick and accurate to focus. I view this as the more important function to have for my work (mostly used for weddings and events).

For portraiture, for instance, the Tamron is very capable, because you typically don't need stabilization or super-quick AF. For sports and event shooting, rapid and accurate AF is important, and more important than stabilization. Stabilization is mostly handy for situations which might suggest or require a tripod, but for long exposures a tripod is much more valuable.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    MntnKarieMntnKarie Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited December 21, 2012
    Just Tried the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC
    Had my hands on the NEW Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC this week. The
    guys at the local shop, well an hour away, let me test it out on my
    5DII. I was in the area and had my gear with me.

I have all L lenses and was not prepared to be impressed by the new
    Tamron at all. I've had Tamron in the past and just couldn't get
    sharp images. Well, the AF was fast and tack on, build felt good
    with out being a boat anchor and I've had the 100-400L and the
    "Big Sig" in the past, so this was nice. And without the tripod ring was
    noticeably lighter/smaller than the 70-200 f2.8 IS II legend. I use
    the 70-300 USM IS L a lot and the Tamron seems similar in weight.

Color was good and the focus ring was responsive without being
    loose or too tight. I'd had caffeine before stopping by so I was
    a tad wired, so I could only get reasonably sharp images at 1/60
    and 2.8 Wanted to test it wide open. Tack sharp 2.8 @ 1/125th.
    Nice little lens, but I would wait until the price drops down around 1K.
    If nothing else it should put pressure on Canon to make some price
    reductions.

If you hand hold I would definitely go for the VC. The sale rep that I
    have come to know agreed that the AF on the new VC is much faster
    and accurate than the NONE VC Tamron 70-200 f2.8.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
  • Options
    harish_agawaneharish_agawane Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2012
    Thanx, Ziggy & MntnKarie finally I brought the lens but the disappointment of VR is there cant take pics in handheld.

I have one more query can I use nikon TC-20e iii for tamron 70 - 200mm F / 2.8 Di LD ( IF ) Macro if yes what is the plus and minus points.

Thanks,
    Harish
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,830 moderator
    edited December 27, 2012
    ... I have one more query can I use nikon TC-20e iii for tamron 70 - 200mm F / 2.8 Di LD ( IF ) Macro if yes what is the plus and minus points. ...

Generally, it's best to use the same brand of teleconverter as lens. Zoom lenses are particularly difficult to match, both optically and physically.

The physical problems stem from the protruding front element of the TC-20E III (common with all Nikon and Canon teleconverters, I believe). If the host lens does not provide for this protrusion, damage to either the teleconverter or the host lens may occur if you try to force a mating.

The optical problems stem (mostly) from the host lens convergence distance and convergence angles. With zoom lenses especially, convergence of the different wavelengths of light may not occur until the focal plane. This means that a teleconverter may interfere with the proper convergence and cause either chroma defects or softening/blurring, especially off-axis.

From other users with this lens (Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro) it appears that the Tamron SP Pro and Kenko DG Pro300 seem to physically mate, but image quality of the 2X versions seems to suffer considerably. Most are happier with the Tamron SP Pro and Kenko DG Pro300 1.4X teleconverters.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums