Options

Help with spider ID

paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
edited October 8, 2012 in Holy Macro
Yesterday I happened to pass this very large spider in the yard. I assume it is some kind of orb spider. It's larger than the orb spiders I have seen before (1.5 cm? longer?), and the pattern on the back is different. Despite the first picture, it generally hangs upside down. Anyone know what it is? And are those eggs at the back of the bottom of the abdomen?

Many thanks. And, of course, C&C welcome. I did these in a rush--I preparing for an engagement party we were hosting, so I was distracted. On a positive note, many of the guests trooped out to examine this one by flashlight.

IMG2464-XL.jpg

IMG2428-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2012
    Lovely captures- Think it's one of the Argiopes. Think you are mistaking it's spinnarets for eggs.

Brian v.
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2012
    Brian,

Thanks on both counts. I did some searching on the web after seeing your post, and there are indeed some Argiopes species that are common in this area, one of which looks very much like this, except that the lighter color apparently is usually somewhat more yellowish than in this particular specimen.

She is still where she was, after 3 days.

Dan
  • Options
    roscowgoroscowgo Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2012
    That's one of the makes me want to run away squealing o' sauruses.

Great pics of the creepy lil bugger tho. :D
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2012
    From what little I have read, they are pretty much harmless to people. I disturbed it a couple of times, and it just moved away. But they will eat things larger than themselves. One posting claim that one was found eating a small bat! Of course, with web postings, caveat emptor.
  • Options
    DeVilDeVil Registered Users Posts: 1,037 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2012
    Nice shots!