Nathan SommerfeldNathan Sommerfeld Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited May 23, 2013 in Cameras
What is the CLP Loyalty program?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,820 moderator
    edited August 23, 2012
    What is the CLP Loyalty program?

In a nutshell, the Canon Loyalty Program (CLP) allows you to trade broken/damaged cameras towards the purchase of a refurbished camera. (Sometimes you can even trade up to a refurbished body and refurbished lens.) The program is not promoted on the Internet, but you can find a lot of "buzz" about the program if you Google it.

The way that many people use the program is to take an old Canon P&S, or even purchase an old Canon P&S off of EBay, and call the CLP number to see what's available on the program today. (The number to call is: 1 (866) 443-8002, option "2".) The available bodies changes daily, so if what you want is not available today, call back tomorrow, or the next day.

When you find an acceptable refurbished body through the program, you may order the refurbished camera over the phone.

When you receive the refurbished body it should have a prepaid shipping sticker to attach to the box containing your broken camera. If you do not return the broken camera in time you will be charged the full refurbished price on your credit card. If you do return the broken camera in time you should receive a 10 to 20 percent discount on your refurbished body.

Check the Canon Direct Store to see what "might" be available. If, when you call the CLP, the refurbished model you want is said not to be available, but you see it in their store, call back and talk to another person.

If you want more details about the program, call the CLP number. (1 (866) 443-8002, option "2".)

The Canon Loyalty Program can change at any time, so don't take the above as truth. DGrin and it's constituents are not associated with the program, so if they beam you to another planet, it's not our problem. :D
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2012
    I need my 40D to blow its third shutter so I can upgrade to a refurb'd 7D. :)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2012
    I called the other day and they had the Canon 7D for $1087.00. Free shipping.
  • Options
    jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    Canon Loyalty Program (CLP)
    You can get a 60D for around $575 (in stock) including the 6% sales tax. Now that's a deal thumb.gif
    Have a good afternoon folks :D
    Jim...
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2012
    Don't forget to check out their refurbed lenses and speedlites here: http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subCategory_10051_10051_-1_22751 You don't get the 20% discount, but the lenses are still a good deal
    Jim...
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2012
    Morning Folks,
    Looks like Canon is not offering the additional discount on their refurbed cameras anymore :cry Still a good deal with 20% off.
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2012
    jgoetz4 wrote: »
    Morning Folks,
    Looks like Canon is not offering the additional discount on their refurbed cameras anymore :cry Still a good deal with 20% off.
    Jim...

I presume you mean the time limited 15 percent discount for refurbished cameras. I believe that event was only 3 days and expired on Aug 27, 2012. It was also rather limited to particular bodies that they probably wanted to move.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I presume you mean the time limited 15 percent discount for refurbished cameras. I believe that event was only 3 days and expired on Aug 27, 2012. It was also rather limited to particular bodies that they probably wanted to move.
    Good Afternoon Ziggy,
    Thanks for the info thumb.gif I went to the site and was goning to order the 60D, but it didn't have the extra 15% discount. Oh well. My loss :cry
    Have a good afternoon :D
    Jim...
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2012
    yes, it seems to have expired. My 50D is in for repair and may need to be replaced,so I just looked, and the prices are back up. At this point, the CLP price for the body I am considering (7D) is not all that much lower than the price from Adorama (1087 vs. 1149).
  • Options
    rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2012
    paddler4 wrote: »
    yes, it seems to have expired. My 50D is in for repair and may need to be replaced,so I just looked, and the prices are back up. At this point, the CLP price for the body I am considering (7D) is not all that much lower than the price from Adorama (1087 vs. 1149).

Please note - CLP charges the sales tax amount of the state you live in; However, to the best of my knowledge (I just punched in my address on the Adorama web site and no tax was added) Adorama doesn't - both ship free - so it's possibly cheaper thru Adorama overall. I paid the full 9.25% Calif. sales tax when I bought my 7D thru CLP.

Either way I would consider keeping the 50D even broken and selling for parts before trading it in and buy from Adorama net cost should be less (+funds from sale of 50D)- if you still want to go with CLP you can buy a broken powershot xx for less than $10 on ebay and use that for the trade-in.

-rich56k
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2012
    Rich,

Thanks. I had earlier factored in the sales tax but forgot to this time. My thinking is the same as yours. My 50D works fine most of the time. It has what appears to be intermittent shorts that blow all the settings, but this happens only infrequently (twice in the past 7 months). Since Adorama is essentially the same price (I would pay 6.25%), I'm better off taking the 50D back and keeping it as a backup body.

Dan
  • Options
    l4ll4l Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 13, 2013
    Make sure you do your homework first.

There was a recall on a Canon camera I own and the dealer I bought it from never notified me and apparently never sent in the warranty card (filled out at the store). Because the camera was too old by the time I found out, Canon wouldn't honor their offer of paying shipping both ways and fixing the camera. Tech support referred me to CLP.

I should have done better research beforehand:

1) As noted earlier, Canon refurb prices are higher than you pay for the same item, non-gray market, new, with a 1-year warranty. CLP discount in my case put the item about $10 less than just buying it new online.

2) They add in the cost of the old item's recycling shipping label, shipping to you and whatever other old stock they decide to include as a "premium" before applying a lump discount amount. A 2G SD card too slow to use in the refurb in my case, even after I told the salesperson I didn't want or need a memory card.

3) The people at the customer support line (phone # mysteriously missing from the emails about my transaction) do not give a rat's patoot how much money you've given Canon over the years (A70, SX10 is, 2 X SX20 is, 2 X Pixma printers, 60D kit, plus recommendations to friends resulting in sales, plus buying Canon printers at work). After seeing the SD card included in the total (then included in my "discount" - yay) I decided to return the CLP item (inner box unopened) I had purchased. They absolutely would not pay for return shipping on the item I purchased, even though part of the deal is a shipping label to send the original, unrepairable item back.

4) A refurb may be a damaged box, demo, etc. or it may be an item that died in warranty and had to be torn down and rebuilt -- there's no way to know and the 90-day warranty, instead of 1 year, reflects their commitment to the product.

Summation: Avoid CLP like the plague. It exists to flog old stock at a hefty profit. They could have made me happy by honoring the original recall, minus the cost of actually doing a repair, by paying shipping both ways. They would not budge and were astonishingly rude.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2013
    Sorry you had a bad experience. I think many have found the CLP an attractive proposition depending on circusmtances and prices at the time; like most things, it will depend on the exact situation to determine whether or not it's a good choice.
    As noted earlier, Canon refurb prices are higher than you pay for the same item, non-gray market, new, with a 1-year warranty. CLP discount in my case put the item about $10 less than just buying it new online.

Are those new prices from reputable vendors, or lowballs from ebay etc? I've usually found the Canon refurb prices to be below new from vendors like Adorama, B&H, Amazon etc., and the CLP discount brings it down further. Whether or not it's enough of a discount to be worth taking the shorter guarantee is, again, something that can only be gauged on a case-by-case basis.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2013
    Good Morning,
    As a frequent buyer from CLP, I can honestly say you can get some really good deals, if you take advantage of the 20% off (and in some cases, 30% off) their refurbed merchandise. Just about all of the refurbed equipment looks brand new, comes with a 90 day warranty, and is about the same price or less, then used equipment that is sold on various forums. While I've never bought a bad or defective piece of camera gear to date, I doubt any seller would offer a 90 day warranty.
    Jim...
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2013
    jgoetz4 wrote: »
    Good Morning,
    As a frequent buyer from CLP, I can honestly say you can get some really good deals, if you take advantage of the 20% off (and in some cases, 30% off) their refurbed merchandise. Just about all of the refurbed equipment looks brand new, comes with a 90 day warranty, and is about the same price or less, then used equipment that is sold on various forums. While I've never bought a bad or defective piece of camera gear to date, I doubt any seller would offer a 90 day warranty.
    Jim...

I've also had good experience with the Canon loyalty program but lately it appears they are listing their refurbs with good prices and limiting the "loyalty" offerings
  • Options
    alpalistalpalist Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 23, 2013
    Hey, I was wondering as it seemed unclear in this thread as to whether or not they still offer additional percentages off when you trade in an old powershot to purchase a 60d. If so, how much would I be looking at as I really would like to purchase the 60d for the cheapest possible price. Thanks for a reply.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2013
    alpalist wrote: »
    Hey, I was wondering as it seemed unclear in this thread as to whether or not they still offer additional percentages off when you trade in an old powershot to purchase a 60d. If so, how much would I be looking at as I really would like to purchase the 60d for the cheapest possible price. Thanks for a reply.

Please read my post #2 of this thread. Follow the suggestions in that post and you can answer your own question. thumb.gif

(Bottom line, when you call that toll-free number they will tell you what bodies are offered and at what discount. It varies day-to-day and even varies through the day so you just have to call to see what can get. Don't expect any offer to last beyond the phone call.)
    ziggy53